What should I look for in a reloading bench? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for in a reloading bench?

M249SAW
08-13-2010, 16:31
Im slowly assembling the components to reload but now I need a sturdy bench. Im way out of my league when it come to carpentry so I would either need to buy one or have one built.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks
Kyle

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 16:57
Length, width and height are pretty much determined by personal preference and space availability. The most important feature is to make it sturdy... you want no movement while the press is in operation.

If you can tie your shoe you can build a bench... go to Home Depot or Lowes, they have inexpensive books on building work benches, just modify it to meet your needs.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-13-2010, 17:11
You have to decide how you want to load. Seated, Standing, Leaning on a tall stool. I have tried seated and standing. Standing is much better for me. You get to use all your body for leverage. Even then you have to decide if you are going to use a strong mount with a Dillon. Mine is set up at 46" or so inch's. That height would work fine with a LnL/650/550 standing. No strong mounts needed.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 17:18
Both of what Jack and Steve said. The height well all be determined by how tall you are and what press you are loading on. Having done both also, I highly recommend standing for reloading.
Do a search for reloading benches. You well find all kinds of ideas.

AZBru88
08-13-2010, 17:55
Man I must be the lazy reloader! I like to sit, I do add a chair pillow to raise myself up a couple inches! I like to be able to see my powder level on station 2 on my Dillon's. I don''t use strong mounts, all mine are direct to the bench. My bench is over kill. About 25 years ago my buddy and I found a guy getting rid of true 4"X12"X20' bridge timbers. About broke my poor 1/2 ton pick up carrying them (I was younger and dumber then!) My bench is made with them and 4x4's for legs. I have no idea what they weight, but it would take 4 men to move them! Its lagged together with 6" counter sunk lag's. With a bottom shelf.
A cheap way out is one of the old metal desks, topped with 3/4 ply screwed and glued. You get storage with the drawers, and a sturdy bench.

shotgunred
08-13-2010, 17:57
If you have a costo near by they sell a nice hardwood work benchs.

fredj338
08-14-2010, 01:25
Length, width and height are pretty much determined by personal preference and space availability. The most important feature is to make it sturdy... you want no movement while the press is in operation.

If you can tie your shoe you can build a bench... go to Home Depot or Lowes, they have inexpensive books on building work benches, just modify it to meet your needs.

Jack
100%! If you don't want to build a bench from scratch, cheap kitchen base cabinets w/ a solid 2x or lam plywood top works great. Easy to put together & you get shelves w/ cabinet doors or drawers for storage.

M249SAW
08-14-2010, 08:03
100%! If you don't want to build a bench from scratch, cheap kitchen base cabinets w/ a solid 2x or lam plywood top works great. Easy to put together & you get shelves w/ cabinet doors or drawers for storage.

Now there is an idea. And I will check Costco too.

Thanks guys!

Colorado4Wheel
08-14-2010, 08:15
Just make sure it has a 1" overhang so you can buy a 650 with out remaking the thing.

unclebob
08-14-2010, 08:36

Also if you want it taller you can build a base for the cabinets too set on. You can make the base any height you what, for the height of the tabletop that you need.

Colorado4Wheel
08-14-2010, 08:43
Also if you want it taller you can build a base for the cabinets too set on. You can make the base any height you what, for the height of the tabletop that you need.

Or you can stack base cabinets on a 12" or 18" over the fridge cabinet. So your finished height could be

12+30=42
12+36=48 (perfect for standing with out a strong mount)

If your tall you use a 18" over the fridge to go 6" higher. I think they also make a 9" upper as well.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 08:47
Or you can stack base cabinets on a 12" or 18" over the fridge cabinet. So your finished height could be

12+30=42
12+36=48 (perfect for standing with out a strong mount)

If your tall you use a 18" over the fridge to go 6" higher. I think they also make a 9" upper as well.

Still on the first cup of coffee and he's already got the tape measure out. The day ain't startin' out good... where are my meds? :crying:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-14-2010, 08:51
It kinda is my job to know the basics of cabinets. But not every manufacture does things the same. Some have a lot less options then others.

dudel
08-14-2010, 09:08

+1 Weight is good. Anchor things down well. You'd be surprised how much it helps if the bench is anchored to the wall.

Hoser
08-14-2010, 09:56
If you can make it solid and then anchor to the earths core, you will be fine.

Solid is good.

When I did my room I used kitchen cabinets. I beefed them up quite a bit.

Under the bottom shelf I added 3/4 inch plywood with blocks to support anything I might put in there. A 60 lb case of bullets would easily push right through whatever 1/4 inch "wood" they use.

I blocked in the front and middle where the counter-top would go with 2x8s. That gave a lot of lateral stability to the cabinet and also made it easy to screw the bench top to the cabinet. And it made everything heavy. Large Marge could do a table dance on my bench and my scales would not even flinch.

Before all the cabinets got screwed together, I lag bolted them to the studs in 2-3 places each.

glockaviator
08-14-2010, 10:47
Bolt it to the wall. Consider the top. Some presses need a 3/4" top (Dillon?) with overhang. Anyway there are "top" considerations. Sometimes you can find tables cheap at second hand furniture stores.

*j-w-m*
08-14-2010, 11:00
For the top you might consider a flat panel solid core door. I've built several really sturdy work benches by attaching these to legs of some kind. They come in different thicknesses and widths. I tend to like the 30" width and 1.25" thick.

glockaviator
08-14-2010, 11:06
If you are building one in the basement you might be better off using a level instead of a square. Don't assume things are square and plumb. Frequently they aren't.

bob_fuller
08-14-2010, 11:40
my only advice beyond what these guys have said is to make sure your bench is a lot bigger than you think it needs to be :) I thought mine was just the right size, but I ran out of space very quickly.

dudel
08-14-2010, 11:44
my only advice beyond what these guys have said is to make sure your bench is a lot bigger than you think it needs to be :) I thought mine was just the right size, but I ran out of space very quickly.

I find I prefer to build shelves and cabinets instead of a large bench. I find I'm more organized with a smaller bench than with a large one. Things tend to get put away, and everything is within reach on my 4' wide bench.

My other 8 and 10 foot benches are a mess.

glockaviator
08-14-2010, 11:48
Yes, a table from a used furniture store with a solid core door on top of it will work pretty damn well, cheap and solid.

M249SAW
08-14-2010, 12:00
How many of you reload indoors? I saw one person mentioned it.

I know you want to do the tumbling outside due to the lead, Im in Florida so I wonder how miserable it will be to spend alot of time in my garage. Or I guess I could invest in a big fan :)

n2extrm
08-14-2010, 12:19
If you can pass ACLS and survive a "mega code" you can build a bench.

If you google reloading bench plans tons come up with instructions. The cabinet idea and desks will work. I did simple 2X4 lumber and some plywood. I like to screw it together and glue it with construction adhesive. Definitely leave a 1" overhang, I just tore down and rebuilt my bench because my 650 would not work on it, there are some pics in a thread here about it and getting the 650. Stay away from flake, particle, press board or MDF. What ever you want to call it is not good for a bench top IMHO.

My reloading room is a detached building with electric. Up here in NY it is not as hot and humid as Florida (I don't know how you guys do it down there) and I put a window AC unit in my shed for the summer, space heater for the winter. Don't store primers and powder out in the heat and humidity. I store every thing inside the house and take what I need out to the reloading room when I am ready to reload. Extreme temperature spreads and high humidity are not good for your components or your tools.

:wavey:

njl
08-14-2010, 13:44
I think it may be discontinued, but this thing works pretty well.

http://reviews.samsclub.com/1337/183050/reviews.htm

Locking drawers to keep your components and accessories in (I don't think I'd put bullets in them due to weight).

unclebob
08-14-2010, 14:35
I think there is different definition of MDF. The stuff I used was called MDF. It has real smooth surface, it looks like sawdust glued all together. It is real hard too pick up a sheet of this stuff by yourself. Besides the 2x12 going across the tabletop I also have two sheets of MDF on top of the 2X12.
There is no way that I would load in the garage in Florida with out heat and air. My reloading room is in the house.

shotgunred
08-14-2010, 15:36

I know you want to do the tumbling outside due to the lead, I am in Florida so I wonder how miserable it will be to spend a lot of time in my garage. Or I guess I could invest in a big fan :)

What do you think we are barbarians? Of course we reload indoors. Do you think that Jack would leave his flat screen TV out doors to get snowed on? I know my computer doesn't like to get rained on and you can ruin powder by getting it wet. My god you would have to walk indoors to get your whiskey refilled. How would you ever get anything done that way?

You cast outdoors.

GioaJack
08-14-2010, 15:44
What do you think we are barbarians? Of course we reload indoors. Do you think that Jack would leave his flat screen TV out doors to get snowed on? I know my computer doesn't like to get rained on and you can ruin powder by getting it wet. My god you would have to walk indoors to get your whiskey refilled. How would you ever get anything done that way?

You cast outdoors.

Speak for yourself... the only time my wheel weights ever saw the outdoors was while I was popping them off cars in some parking lot.

If God wanted me to cast outdoors He wouldn't have invented indoors.

(Hey, it makes sense to me. :whistling:)

Jack

njl
08-14-2010, 15:46
Tumbler and brass collection live in the garage. I reload and store all the components (other than most of my brass) indoors.

aggiekcc
08-14-2010, 15:52
I purchased the rolling tool chest and the work bench from Sams Club shown below. Very sturdy and works well.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=101756&navAction=

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=172489&navAction=

The tool chest rest under the work bench. Here is a link to a few pics of mine. Scroll down in the thread a bit.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210814

I did get permission to put it indoors in one of our spare bedrooms. I probably wouldn't use it as much if it was out in the garage due to the Texas weather!

DoctaGlockta
08-14-2010, 16:19
If you have a costo near by they sell a nice hardwood work benchs.

I was looking at that same bench. Do you have one and if so how is it working?

AZBru88
08-14-2010, 18:31

I know you want to do the tumbling outside due to the lead, Im in Florida so I wonder how miserable it will be to spend alot of time in my garage. Or I guess I could invest in a big fan :)

Indoors, my own private man cave loading room in the basement. A/C and heat is a must! Comfy chairs (2) and a high stool for my gun cleaning/work bench. Although I usually sit on the porch when its nice in the morning with coffee and my gun cleaning kit. So I don't have to smell the solvents!
My wife even was in my reloading room a month or two ago. She couldn't believe how nice it is down there, cool, organized. Married 26 years I think that was her second time in my room!:supergrin: She knows I get shipments of bullets, loading equipment, brass, ect.. a few times a month.
Heck she brought me down a cool drink there last week. Now if I could only teach her to reload too!:rofl:She doesn't mind the shooting part, neither do my daughter or granddaughter....none want to help load!:dunno:

M249SAW
08-14-2010, 19:47
Thanks again fellas. Looks like I'll have to find a place. Maybe my recessed closet in my den, hmmmmm.

M249SAW
08-14-2010, 19:56
Aggie I like the look of that bench. Im gonna have to go check that out after I take some measurements.

shotgunred
08-14-2010, 20:00
Or better yet the room outside of the recessed closet.

Half of my man cave is dedicated to my guns and reloading.

IndyGunFreak
08-14-2010, 20:07
Aggie I like the look of that bench. Im gonna have to go check that out after I take some measurements.

If you need something sturdy, fully customizable on size, and so easy a cave man can do it... All you need is a hand saw to cut the 2x4's, and have Lowes/Home Depot cut the plywood to the size you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-14429-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/dp/B00006RGKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1281837870&sr=8-1

Look through the customer images, there's a few folks who posted reloading benches.

IGF

M249SAW
08-14-2010, 20:19
If you need something sturdy, fully customizable on size, and so easy a cave man can do it... All you need is a hand saw to cut the 2x4's, and have Lowes/Home Depot cut the plywood to the size you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-14429-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/dp/B00006RGKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1281837870&sr=8-1

Look through the customer images, there's a few folks who posted reloading benches.

IGF

Even better. As I said I have the tools, could do this one pretty quick with the miter saw.

CaptJim
08-14-2010, 20:38
I think there is different definition of MDF. The stuff I used was called MDF. It has real smooth surface, it looks like sawdust glued all together. It is real hard too pick up a sheet of this stuff by yourself. Besides the 2x12 going across the tabletop I also have two sheets of MDF on top of the 2X12.
There is no way that I would load in the garage in Florida with out heat and air. My reloading room is in the house.

THIS! The MDF (medium density fiberboard) is great for a top. Use a double layer of 3/4" for a rigid surface. Screw them together on a grid (don't glue them) so that you can change out the top sheet if and when it wears out.

Don't be afraid to build it yourself - you'll get what you want and enjoy the satisfaction of creating it.

Jim

n2extrm
08-15-2010, 07:48
Thanks again fellas. Looks like I'll have to find a place. Maybe my recessed closet in my den, hmmmmm.

I have seen people build a bench into the closet, they just open the door and start to reload. The ones I have seen people just screwed a 2X4 around the three closet walls to the studs, ran 1 2X4 across the front screwed to that with a couple of legs for support.

If space is an issue, I have a friend who made a simple plywood top with a 2X4 rib in the bottom middle. He bought one of those Black and Decker workmate benches that fold. Simply unfolds it clamps it in to the bench and loads in his den.

M249SAW
08-15-2010, 21:40
IGF, in the link you posted the assembled height is 36 inches. I imagine from the info Ive read this would be conducive to seated reloading, correct?

woncrzymof0
08-15-2010, 22:04
M249 - I built mine fairly cheap and I am no carpenter...

I will take some pics and measurements tomorrow night and show you what hardware I used. It came in a kit and was pretty simple to do.

Just some metal brackets that form perfect 90's and you can make it as high and as long as you want.

Will get back to this tomorrow afternoon/night.

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 08:07
Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 09:58
IGF, in the link you posted the assembled height is 36 inches. I imagine from the info Ive read this would be conducive to seated reloading, correct?

Depends on the press, how tall you are etc. It kinda fell "right in the middle" for me..so I just found a stool high enough to sit where i wanted to be. If you're using a Dillon press, and it's to low, you can add one of their strong mounts. Or, you can make a "strong mount", for any press you choose, w/ some creativity.

unclebob
08-16-2010, 10:00

You are not going too know for sure what the height is going too be for you. Depending on the chair you are going too be using and the press that you are going too be using? A stool is a better choice that way you can sit or stand.
The best thing too do is get the press and try it at different heights and see what is best for you. Then build your bench or buy your bench.

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 10:24
The best thing too do is get the press and try it at different heights and see what is best for you. Then build your bench or buy your bench.

Good advice... I would make the bench the last thing you do. Get a good scale, calipers.. if you want a tumbler, get a tumbler/media separator... That's stuff that works w/ any press. Then get your press, then build your bench.

IGF

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 13:32
Good advice... I would make the bench the last thing you do. Get a good scale, calipers.. if you want a tumbler, get a tumbler/media separator... That's stuff that works w/ any press. Then get your press, then build your bench.

IGF

Then that's what I shall do.

I had just finished ordering a Dillon tumbler and separator. Then a 550B from Enos.

Looks like the suppressor will have to wait:whistling:

fudd
08-16-2010, 14:42
ewwww! He went blue.

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 15:16
ewwww! He went blue.

Seemed like the ticket for me after reading up on it. Haven t bought it yet but it was a tough choice between the 550 and the LCT. Especially the money part.

unclebob
08-16-2010, 15:49
Seemed like the ticket for me after reading up on it. Haven t bought it yet but it was a tough choice between the 550 and the LCT. Especially the money part.

Good choice.

GioaJack
08-16-2010, 15:52
Poor choice. If I had it to do over I'd buy a LNL... maybe two.

Fixed it for ya unclebob. :supergrin:

Jack

unclebob
08-16-2010, 15:59
Fixed it for ya unclebob. :supergrin:

Jack

Never been that drunk or stupid enough too buy a LNL.:tongueout:

unclebob
08-16-2010, 16:03
Jack
I didn't know that the LNL would make flint.:rofl::tongueout:

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 16:04

:drowning: :duel: :poke:

GioaJack
08-16-2010, 16:05

You just can't remember being that drunk and as for being stupid, how do you know, you've never had anything to compare it against. :whistling:

Jack

(I shouldn't pick on my little buddy unclebob, but it's so much fun... and Little Stevie hasn't been around all day.)

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 16:05

Yup, there's a big money difference there, but you get about double the speed. When I bought mine, it's because I wanted to load about 4 calibers.. which gets really pricey w/ a 550...

unclebob
08-16-2010, 16:20
You just can't remember being that drunk and as for being stupid, how do you know, you've never had anything to compare it against. :whistling:

Jack

(I shouldn't pick on my little buddy unclebob, but it's so much fun... and Little Stevie hasn't been around all day.)

Never have passed out. Could tell you very thing that I did afterwards.
And as far as anything to compare it against? Are you sure about that?

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 16:25
Yup, there's a big money difference there, but you get about double the speed. When I bought mine, it's because I wanted to load about 4 calibers.. which gets really pricey w/ a 550...

So I take it you have a LCT then?

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2010, 16:38

Having owned a LCT and a 550 I can tell you this. IF you load a lot of calibers but don't need a ton of ammo for any of them, the LCT is perfect. It's just so easy to convert and to load small batch's of ammo on. The disc system is not finely adjustable for powder but thats also a blessing. All you do is write down the disc number that you use (or make a custom disc that never goes out of adjustment if you need a in between setting, it's not hard) and start loading with that disc number after swapping on the toolhead. It's just so simple. $10 for a toolhead and if you get a shellholder with the dieset your done.

SO

One option is to get the LCT and start loading with it. Then if you have 1 caliber you need a bunch of ammo in get a 650/LnL with a casefeeder and just set it up for that one caliber. For example, Deerhunter was saving up for a 550 and I basically pushed him to get the LCT NOW. Why waste money for a year buying factory ammo when for under $300 you can start loading on a LCT and add a progressive later.

But,

IF you know you need a lot of ammo quickly get the 550/LnL/650. Don't kid yourself into underbuying if you know you shoot a lot and you know you don't have the time to spend in the reloading room. BUT for most people you could load 30 mins 3-4 times a week on a LCT and have plenty of ammo to meet their needs.

Good luck with your choice.:wavey:

GioaJack
08-16-2010, 16:54
To the OP:

Alright, alright, lets get down to brass tacks here. (I don't know what the means but I like saying it.) You're building a loading bench not a dialysis machine, no one is gonna live or die over it.

As time goes on you're going to add more and more equipment and collect more and more clutter so start off making it as big as space will allow. (Some forum members have very neat and organized benches... pay them no mind, they're whackos and are not to be taken seriously. They iron their socks and get out of the shower to piddle.)

Should you decide not to go through the expense of buying cabinets, solid core doors, railroad ties, bags of cement or the deck of a surplus aircraft carrier a quantity of 2X4's will make very serviceable and long lasting benches.

Contrary to Little Stevie's incessant preaching a bench does not need to be secured to the wall nor does it need to look like the center piece in the parade of homes. (In fairness to him, however, he is a builder and he hopes you'll fly him, first class, to your home and hire him to build your benches. Don't do it, he'll be there for three months measuring stuff before he ever swings a hammer. Then when he orders the materials he'll say they're defective.)

Decide on the height you want, a nice compromise is to make it so you can load either standing or sitting on a tall stool. You may be healthy right now but what happens if you slip on the ice this winter and you can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time... what are you going to do, watch Oprah for three months? Give yourself options.

If size permits make the bench deep enough to place supplies against the wall behind your presses; primers, bullets, a can of the powder you have in your measure, assorted bottles of scotch, the remote for your flat panel... all of the things you will be constantly using.

If you're going to use WAG, (Wild Ass Guess) when determining the optimal height then guess slightly short... you can simply add a sheet or two of plywood to add a couple inches. Kinda like Viagra for the home bench builder.

A shelf a third or so of the way up from the floor adds rigidity to the entire bench and doubles the below bench top storage area. Lots of guys like the idea of closed cabinets under their benches. I'm too lazy, open shelves lets me see what's there at a glance and negates having to remove everything in the front to get something in the back. (Did I mention the lazy thing?)

The esthetics of your bench is determined by one factor, and one factor alone... is there a woman living under the same roof as the benches? If the answer is yes you will never have a real man cave, you'll have a 'Nancy Boy' sitting room. Learn to deal with it... you're never going to win.

Below are some pictures of my newest benches, which means they are 30 years old. All the other ones I've ever built looked exactly the same... none have ever fallen down, none have ever been secured to the walls and none of them move one iota.

The bad thing is none of the 3 ex-wives liked the way the looked. The good news is all of the ex-wives are gone and the benches are still here. There is justice in the world.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4060.jpg?1281996023

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4201.jpg?1281998632

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4300.jpg?t=1281998828

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4067.jpg?1281998912

Yes, I cast indoors... sue me, I have lawyers.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4062.jpg?t=1281998994

You'll notice that the bench with the LNL's looks much better than the bench with the Dillons... that's cause they're happy. If you get a 550 you're going to end up a bitter old man like unclebob. Surely you don't want your life reduced to that.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 16:57

Yup, for many of the reasons C4W stated...

We probably shoot between 500-1k per month. I can usually knock out whatever we need in 2, 2.5-3hr loading sessions (or a series of 1hr sessions after work)... I'd like to get a progressive eventually, but at the rate we shoot, I just can't justify the cost.. The LCT paid for itself very quickly for me.

How much do you plan on shooting per month? You might have mentioned it, and I just missed it. There's very few "bad" choices you can make when deciding on a press. Sit down, figure out your monthly needs, then figure out how badly you want to hit your wallet, and try coming to a peaceful reasoning.

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2010, 17:04
Contrary to Little Stevie's incessant preaching a bench does not need to be secured to the wall nor does it need to look like the center piece in the parade of homes. (In fairness to him, however, he is a builder and he hopes you'll fly him, first class, to your home and hire him to build your benches.

Jack

If they are weighted down enough you don't need them attached. Most bench's benifit from it greatly because they are not weighted down like yours.

My reloading room now looks like crap. Thems the breaks. I don't let clients into that part of my home.

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 18:19
How much do you plan on shooting per month? You might have mentioned it, and I just missed it.

500 to 1000 rounds a month now. Im trying to get back into IDPA/IPSC so more then.

The esthetics of your bench is determined by one factor, and one factor alone... is there a woman living under the same roof as the benches? If the answer is yes you will never have a real man cave, you'll have a 'Nancy Boy' sitting room. Learn to deal with it... you're never going to win.

Sadly yes. But for the most part she keeps her distance other than the occasional eye roll and sigh when she walks by. :outtahere:

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2010, 18:43
500 to 1000 rounds a month now. Im trying to get back into IDPA/IPSC so more then.

I would consider a faster press pretty strongly. Not that the LCT would be a mistake. Just once you start shooting IPSC/IDPA you tend to burn through more ammo.

woncrzymof0
08-16-2010, 18:47
249 - this is the link to the kit I talked about earlier... Like I said, I am no carpenter but this helped out a lot and my bench is SOLID.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100375388&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100375388&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D22X-_-100375388&locStoreNum=1271&marketID=191

http://www.strongtie.com/products/DIY/KWB.html

Here are some pics of mine and how the loader is mounted. I have a ton of stuff on there already and it keeps gathering more it seems. I have a dillon super swager on there for .223's.. that is what is pictured next to the loader.

Hope this helps! It was quick, easy and I have plenty of room and a solid bench to mount stuff on!!

This is what they look like on the bench...
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6278.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6279.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6283.jpg

Here are some shots of the loader and swager.. handles up.. handles down..

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6284.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6285.jpg

shot of whole bench.... dimensions are

36"High from floor to top of plywood..
36"Deep from front to wall
8' Length

woncrzymof0
08-16-2010, 18:47
I added some extra on the top to hang lights/tools and maybe some shelves one day.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6287.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/woncrzymof0/Reloading/IMG_6193.jpg

woncrzymof0
08-16-2010, 18:51
In that one pic it looks like the lever is actually touching the wood but it's not.. I set it RIGHT on the edge so it is as close as it can get without touching.

Good luck!

M249SAW
08-16-2010, 19:09
In that one pic it looks like the lever is actually touching the wood but it's not.. I set it RIGHT on the edge so it is as close as it can get without touching.

Good luck!

Looks good. Ill have to check out that kit at Home Depot.

M1A Shooter
08-16-2010, 20:04
i just picked up an older computer desk. its got a solid wood top and several drawers and shelves above. this is my first attempt to move my reloading into the house and out of the uninsulated garage. its too hot out there several months and too cold others. hate to try to reload 6 months worth at a time every spring and fall. i still only have a single stage.

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 20:10

Good luck!

That's interesting.. I've saw the Simpson Strong-Tie plans on several occasions, but never w/ a 2x6 as the top rail.... I always thought that bench looked pretty sturdy. Would you only need 1 box to just build a bench?(that should be 8 in one box)....

You could kinda kinda build a hybrid bench.. Use 1 box(again, I'm assuming there's 8 brackets in a box).. from Home Depot to build the bench.. then use a package of shelf links, to build the rear shelf. It's not quite as customizable as the strong tie brackets, but it's very easy...

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90124-ShelfLinks-Custom-Storage/dp/B0030T1BGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282010739&sr=8-1

IGF

woncrzymof0
08-16-2010, 21:50
That's interesting.. I've saw the Simpson Strong-Tie plans on several occasions, but never w/ a 2x6 as the top rail.... I always thought that bench looked pretty sturdy. Would you only need 1 box to just build a bench?(that should be 8 in one box)....

You could kinda kinda build a hybrid bench.. Use 1 box(again, I'm assuming there's 8 brackets in a box).. from Home Depot to build the bench.. then use a package of shelf links, to build the rear shelf. It's not quite as customizable as the strong tie brackets, but it's very easy...

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90124-ShelfLinks-Custom-Storage/dp/B0030T1BGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282010739&sr=8-1

IGF
believe that it comes with 8.. you will only need 1 kit.

but it works really well.. for those of us who are not master craftsmen. :supergrin:

themighty9mm
08-16-2010, 23:15
I was looking at that same bench. Do you have one and if so how is it working?
I have one of the costo work benches. Its very sturdy. Works great. I got the one with 2 drwers. Ended up removing 1 as the dillon wasnt really enjoying the drawer being in the way

GLShooter
08-17-2010, 18:29
You could start with what you want small and end up with this:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/GLShooter/RELOADING%20ROOM/ReloadRoom1.jpg

Put this on the other side of the room for "little" projects:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/GLShooter/RELOADING%20ROOM/ReloadRoom3.jpg

Table frame:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/GLShooter/RELOADING%20ROOM/DSC02741.jpg

Using counter top and galvanized hanger plates any one can whip up a good bench in four hours.

Greg

M249SAW
08-17-2010, 18:42
Beautiful setup. I see a lonely red in a sea of blue.

GLShooter
08-17-2010, 19:04
Beautiful setup. I see a lonely red in a sea of blue.

First press on both benches on the right are red. The MEC's may or may not count and there are three of them. The middle press on the small bench is a STAR the ORIGINAL BLUE press!!

Greg

PS: Just got a Rock Chucker Supreme through UPS about two hours ago. My first press in 1975 was an RCBS JR. I have an RCBS Big Max in the garage for case swaging that is huge!!

Greg

TheGrimReaper
08-17-2010, 19:09
Make sure it is strong, and as long and deep as you can fit. You will need it.

M249SAW
08-17-2010, 19:30
Make sure it is strong, and as long and deep as you can fit. You will need it.

That could have some sexual undertones