Messed up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Messed up

njl
08-13-2010, 16:37
I got distracted by a primer feed failure and then turned the shell plate on my RL550B when I shouldn't have. I dumped a cartridge that hadn't been crimped. I immediately realized what I'd done and stopped. Unfortunately, the finished cartridge bin already had nearly 200 rounds of 9mm in it. I figured no problem, it's got to be one of the "top most" rounds in the bin...so I started carefully removing cartridges and examining them. I thought it'd be no problem to find the uncrimped one...but I can't find it.

All the cartridges gage just fine. Measuring crimped and non-crimped rounds, the typical difference is only around 0.02". At this point, I think without using the calipers on 150 rounds, I'm not going to find it. I thought I'd be able to see it just by looking down on all the rounds...but nope.

This is a batch I was loading for an IPSC match this weekend. What's the worst that would happen if I shoot the non-crimped round? I'm guessing as long as it chambers, it'll shoot just fine...perhaps a tiny bit lower velocity, but I doubt even that.

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 17:01
The worst thing that can happen is you're going to be preoccupied over a potential problem that isn't a problem and blow a bunch of shots.

The best thing that can happen is you'll put it out of your mind and shoot clean stages.

Your choice.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-13-2010, 17:05
In 9mm nothing will happen. It's a tapered round to begin with so it will chamber just fine and shoot fine as well. The way to find it is to use the dial calipers as a straight edge. Hold each round between the jaws, look at the gap while holding them up to a light. You will see the flare on the uncrimped round easier like that.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 17:06
If you want too put your mind at ease. Pull the button at station 3 and run the rounds threw the press.

n2extrm
08-13-2010, 17:12
The worst thing that can happen is you're going to be preoccupied over a potential problem that isn't a problem and blow a bunch of shots.

The best thing that can happen is you'll put it out of your mind and shoot clean stages.

Your choice.

Jack

I agree completely, I would just put it out of my mind.

Unclebobs sugestion is very good also. It really wouldn't hurt anything if it makes you feel better.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 17:27

Your choice.

Jack
Yea right. Most people that is going too be in the back of there minds. Is this round going too jam, is this round going too jam.
Me if I'm not sure they go for practice and I start all over again.

GioaJack
08-13-2010, 18:08
Yea right. Most people that is going too be in the back of there minds. Is this round going too jam, is this round going too jam.
Me if I'm not sure they go for practice and I start all over again.

I can't be held responsible for the actions of lesser men. :whistling:

If you choose not to shoot under a little adversity how are you going to perform when you have to shoot under adversity?

(Hey, that's quasi-profound... I'm gonna write that down and save it.)

Jack

The above advice does not apply to old men living in Florida... all of their concentration is used just trying to find the range.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 18:19
I can't be held responsible for the actions of lesser men. :whistling:

If you choose not to shoot under a little adversity how are you going to perform when you have to shoot under adversity?

(Hey, that's quasi-profound... I'm gonna write that down and save it.)

Jack

The above advice does not apply to old men living in Florida... all of their concentration is used just trying to find the range.

What range? I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't have any cattle.:tongueout:

njl
08-13-2010, 20:49
It was bugging me, so I put the calipers on all of the first 200 from that batch. I didn't find any obvious non-crimped. While emptying the rest of the cartridge bin I found something worse. One with no primer. Apparently, I'd had 2 failures to feed a primer and had only noticed one. I thought I'd seen more spilled powder than usual from today's 300.

Not knowing how much powder was in that one, I shook out what was still there through the flash hole and then pulled the bullet.

This was my first time using "Blazer Brass" brass. It must be soft or thin...because it resized easily, primed really easily, didn't stick at all to the powder funnel, and was easy to seat the bullets in.

unclebob
08-13-2010, 21:00
It was bugging me, so I put the calipers on all of the first 200 from that batch. I didn't find any obvious non-crimped. While emptying the rest of the cartridge bin I found something worse. One with no primer. Apparently, I'd had 2 failures to feed a primer and had only noticed one. I thought I'd seen more spilled powder than usual from today's 300.

Not knowing how much powder was in that one, I shook out what was still there through the flash hole and then pulled the bullet.

This was my first time using "Blazer Brass" brass. It must be soft or thin...because it resized easily, primed really easily, didn't stick at all to the powder funnel, and was easy to seat the bullets in.

Why were you going too seat a primer in a case if was full of powder?

PCJim
08-13-2010, 22:03
Excellent point, Bob. But I think, cross that, fully hope that he was already set to pull the bullet and was just playing with the powder. I also experienced two missing primers in the 2,300 rounds loaded over last weekend. For whatever reason, I too shook the powder out before using the kinetic puller. No reason for doing so, just did it.

For anyone reading this, NEVER attempt to seat a primer into a case containing powder with a bullet already seated.

njl
08-14-2010, 05:39
Excellent point, Bob. But I think, cross that, fully hope that he was already set to pull the bullet and was just playing with the powder. I also experienced two missing primers in the 2,300 rounds loaded over last weekend. For whatever reason, I too shook the powder out before using the kinetic puller. No reason for doing so, just did it.

For anyone reading this, NEVER attempt to seat a primer into a case containing powder with a bullet already seated.

I wasn't even thinking about the possible dangers of seating a primer in a charged cartridge...obviously it'd be "bad" if the primer somehow went off while doing that.

My point was just that knowing that the cartridge had lost powder, the only thing to do was pull the bullet, and I didn't want powder flying out the top of the impact bullet puller on each swing so I shook it all out first.