Different guns for different situations/seasons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Different guns for different situations/seasons

CDR_Glock
08-14-2010, 10:45
Mas

A recurrent theme seems to be a different gun for different settings. Someone wants to run for the store and they feel comfortable with a Ruger LCP or other 380. Someone wants to travel and they carry a larger caliber gun. At home they want their shotgun. I carry a Glock 23/27 but Carrying a 45 ACP is not out of the question, entirely. Wouldn't it serve a better purpose to stick with one type of gun/caliber? Do you believe in carrying a pistol when at home?

Another thing I read frequently is the Summer gun and Winter gun concept. Is there really a need, aside from what someone is wearing for concealment, to go from one caliber to another? What ammunition do you recommend for colder weather and to penetrate cold weather gear, such as parkas, ski jackets and multiple heavy layers of clothing? Is there a more effective caliber or ammo type?

Mas Ayoob
08-14-2010, 13:58
CDR, I personally put the gun on when I put my pants on in the morning, and take it off when I undress for bed at night. The long gun makes sense for HD since it can be conveniently stored in a condition of reasonably ready access.

I'll plead guilty to changing guns with the seasons. I'm comfortable with a 9mm and a good load most of the time, but in frigid weather with high likelihood of encountering very heavily clad opponents, I'm more comfortable with a .45. If the hollow cavity clogs on thick inert material and turns into ball, I want it to at least turn into BIG ball. Winter clothing also, of course, gives us more options for concealing larger handguns.

YMMV.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
08-14-2010, 16:06
CDR, I personally put the gun on when I put my pants on in the morning, and take it off when I undress for bed at night. The long gun makes sense for HD since it can be conveniently stored in a condition of reasonably ready access.

I'll plead guilty to changing guns with the seasons. I'm comfortable with a 9mm and a good load most of the time, but in frigid weather with high likelihood of encountering very heavily clad opponents, I'm more comfortable with a .45. If the hollow cavity clogs on thick inert material and turns into ball, I want it to at least turn into BIG ball. Winter clothing also, of course, gives us more options for concealing larger handguns.

YMMV.

best,
Mas

Your approach to home carrying is the best. In a case of a "home invasion", one doesn't have time to get to their gun, if secured.

Best thing is not to answer the door for an unexpected guest or solicitor.

I love my 45, but it's a touch heavy to be practical for my method of carry. I was carrying the Glock 27 today, and I had to raise my jeans every 20 minutes. I will stick to my smaller caliber 40, for now.

Thanks.