1st time chronograph use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st time chronograph use

norton
08-14-2010, 11:07
Well, I finally got my Mrs. Norton Christmas present chronograph out to the range. Took a while to find a tri pod. I'm kind of cheap, found one at an "Antique" store for $10.
Results
Average of 6 shots each
In .45 ACP-Glock 21
200 grain Rainer h/P plated bullet-4.6 grains bullseye-786FPS
.45 ACP-S/W 325-same load-715 FPS

.45 Colt
200 Gr. RNFP lead bullet-6.0 grains of trailboss-709 FPS

I did find my precharged air gun was very consistent.
Of course I don't reload for it.
.177 lead pellet
1054 FPS

It seems my .45 ACP loads are about where they should be according to the Lyman Handbook.

My .45 Colt readings were erratic. From a high of 753 to a low of 689. I need to switch to the rifle powder bar for the Trail Boss. I knew my powder charges were not consistent.

The weather today was overcast, and very hot and humid. I shot as always, outdoors.

D. Manley
08-14-2010, 13:22
As long as your chrono survived the outing, it was a good day...many don't.

:supergrin:

njl
08-14-2010, 13:30
As long as your chrono survived the outing, it was a good day...many don't.

:supergrin:

Makes me wonder...why doesn't anyone make an add-on that places a small angle iron in front of the chrony body...making it harder to kill your chronograph?

HAMMERHEAD
08-14-2010, 15:50
Makes me wonder...why doesn't anyone make an add-on that places a small angle iron in front of the chrony body...making it harder to kill your chronograph?
Now that's an idea, maybe one that mounts on the tripod, under the chrono, and extends forward under the chrono and angles up, so if you hit it, the force of the impact isn't absorbed by the chrono.

My .45 Colt readings were erratic. From a high of 753 to a low of 689. I need to switch to the rifle powder bar for the Trail Boss. I knew my powder charges were not consistent.
Trail Boss is moody, I use a top quality, pistol only powder meter (Redding 10X). Some days TB meters near perfectly, some days it's all over the place.
With .45 Colt and 30-30 if I want consistent speeds, I have to measure each charge and trickle to weight.
With weighed TB charges in 30-30 I get an extreme spread of only 10 fps, makes a big difference at 100 yards with slow moving lead.
With .45 Colt, my numbers are never very consistent, even when weighing charges. But out to 50 yards, your spread of 64 fps won't make any difference.

Good job not hitting the chrono on you first day.
I've seen two shot chronos in the trash recently.

njl
08-14-2010, 16:00
My only worry with something like that would be how much energy would it transfer to the tripod mounting screw? It might actually destroy the tripod screw or head.

HAMMERHEAD
08-14-2010, 16:06
My only worry with something like that would be how much energy would it transfer to the tripod mounting screw? It might actually destroy the tripod screw or head.
Perhaps, but better that than the chrono. If it were angled enough, it would deflect the bullet down, probably knock the tripod over, but hopefully a $100+ chrono would be spared.

shotgunred
08-14-2010, 16:32
I don't know were you shop but my tripods cost a lot more than a crono.

Colorado4Wheel
08-14-2010, 16:57
Just get a piece of solid steel with a triangle hole cut in it, mount it at a 45 angle to the tripod. Seperate from the chrono. Done.

WiskyT
08-14-2010, 16:57

Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot. Or, as my father would say "I can make it idiot proof, but I can't make it stupid idiot proof."

norton
08-14-2010, 17:20
I don't know were you shop but my tripods cost a lot more than a crono.

I found a tripod that was originally sold at K Mart. It was made in Japan, has brass telescoping legs. Works great.