Kahr charges to ship for warranty??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr charges to ship for warranty???

photoman12001
08-14-2010, 11:17
I rented a MK9 a few weeks ago and absolutely had to own one after shooting it. I liked it better than my Glocks and SIGs (P239 is tough to beat) but maybe not my HK P7. The MK9 was accurate, easy on the eyes and didn't seem to be any bigger than neccessary. After searching for a used one I finally settled on buying a new one.

When I went to shoot my new MK9 it performed pretty poorly. It was reliable but not accurate at all. The shots were all far to the right and stringing up and down. I wouldn't even call them a group. After 500 rounds I saw no difference. If I shot from a rest and really concentrated the groups got slightly better but still shot far right. So I rented the MK9 I shot before and shot 100 rounds through the pistols side-by-side at 25 feet using a Weaver stance, the same magazine and the same ammunition. Rental gun: nice groups at or near the center of the target. My gun: nothing that in my opinion can be called a group from a $700 pistol.

http://digitalperspective.org/images/_DSC1888%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel.jpg
The area highlighted green is the group from the rental gun. The other "group" is from my new pistol.

So I photographed the last target I shot and emailed it to Kahr asking for a solution. They stated they would be happy to accuracy test it for me if I shipped it to them UPS air or FEDEX overnight. Both cost about the same; $60!!!! I shipped it to them; what else could I do? I won't even carry the gun as it is now.

Experienced Kahr owners, is this normal? This year I've sent guns to S&W, SIG and Magnum Research for warranty work and they covered shipping both ways. I've owned this thing for 2 weeks. I felt I got a good deal on it new but now I wish I hadn't bought it with the extra $60 tacked on. I really just wanted to buy the rental gun but they wouldn't sell it.

ripley16
08-14-2010, 18:32
Experienced Kahr owners, is this normal?

Yes. A few people have gotten Kahr to pick up the tab, but usually it's on your nickle.

Bronson
08-15-2010, 02:44
Another option is to have the dealer you purchased it from send it back for you. A dealer can send a pistol through the regular mail and any good dealer should do this for one of their customers that needs to send a pistol in for warranty service.

My dealer sent my CW40 in for me and he covered the $12.00 shipping cost because I bought it from him. When it needed to go back a few more times because Kahrs warranty work was shoddy I got them to pick up the shipping.

Oh, and read on their website that if you send it to them ground instead of overnight Kahr will charge YOU $40.00 and delay the repair of your pistol.

http://www.kahr.com/service.html

HANDGUNS MUST BE SHIPPED PREPAID VIA UPS AIR OR FEDEX OVERNIGHT. HANDGUNS SHIPPED GROUND SERVICE MAY BE ASSESSED AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE OF $40.00 AND REPAIR WORK WILL BE DELAYED.

Bronson

photoman12001
08-15-2010, 09:37
Another option is to have the dealer you purchased it from send it back for you. A dealer can send a pistol through the regular mail and any good dealer should do this for one of their customers that needs to send a pistol in for warranty service.

My dealer sent my CW40 in for me and he covered the $12.00 shipping cost because I bought it from him. When it needed to go back a few more times because Kahrs warranty work was shoddy I got them to pick up the shipping.

Oh, and read on their website that if you send it to them ground instead of overnight Kahr will charge YOU $40.00 and delay the repair of your pistol.

http://www.kahr.com/service.html

Bronson

Yeah they stated that in the email they sent me too. FEDEX said they won't ship handguns via anything but overnight anyway.

I would have gone through the dealer but I purchased it on Gunbroker from a shop in AZ and I'm in NE so it wasn't feasible.

Zut
08-15-2010, 11:56
I don't know about the shipping, but I can sympathize with your concerns about accuracy. I have a 10 year old MK9 that shot (great) like your rental gun. Last year the slide cracked, so I sent it back for repair (and paid the shipping). The good news is I got a brand new slide and barrel assembly at no charge. The bad news is that it doesn't shoot as well as it used to. I am wondering if they opened the barrel hole in the slide up a little to reduce stress and cracking. That would make the barrel flop around a little more and reduce accuracy.

photoman12001
08-16-2010, 13:46
I don't know about the shipping, but I can sympathize with your concerns about accuracy. I have a 10 year old MK9 that shot (great) like your rental gun. Last year the slide cracked, so I sent it back for repair (and paid the shipping). The good news is I got a brand new slide and barrel assembly at no charge. The bad news is that it doesn't shoot as well as it used to. I am wondering if they opened the barrel hole in the slide up a little to reduce stress and cracking. That would make the barrel flop around a little more and reduce accuracy.

That's interesting. I read about the cracked slide issue and it's what led me to buy new over used. I wanted the factory warranty. Thanks for the information.

photoman12001
08-16-2010, 13:47
I just got off the phone with Kahr and that was the worst customer service phone call I've ever had. This is not verbatim but the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, I just sent my MK9 in to be looked at because I doesn't seem to be performing as it should. I was a little surprised to have to pay to ship it to you to be examined under warranty.

Rep: We don't cover shipping costs for warranty issues.

Me: Oh, well that that's just not the experience I'm used to with other firearm manufacturers. Others have always covered shipping costs for warranty issues.

Rep: ............................ (He said nothing.)

Me: Um, OK. I had some other questions about having night sights installed...

After I mentioned spending money on something the rep seemed more enthusiastic. In most situations I'm not very confrontational so I didn't mention anything farther. I was polite as I always am.

I bought the MK9 new for more money than a used one because I wanted the peace of mind of a factory warranty since I was buying over the internet. This was not money well spent. Kahr is charging SIG prices and I expected SIG level customer service. I've had to send both P238's to SIG and my experiences were fine. The SIG reps say "There's something wrong with your pistol? Expect a shipping label in your email inbox in a few moments."

I was very interested in buying a K9 and P380 but Kahr will see no more money from me. If this MK9 comes back shooting better I'll keep it. If not then I will probably sell it. I'm not interested in shooting any more ammo through it to "smooth it out". With 9mm costing $10/box on average around here I've already dumped $100 of ammo into it with no better results. Every time I pulled the trigger I just saw $$$$'s flying out of the barrel.

I've got my SIG P238s for summer carry and P239 for cold weather. They shoot well without being "broken in". The P238s needed warranty work but at least it didn't cost me anything. When I pull the trigger on those I smile.

By the way, if any of that sounds grumpy it's not directed at anyone here. This Kahr experience has just left me very dissatisfied. Maybe SIG and S&W have just spoiled me.

BTW, the rep who I emailed with originally and instructed me to ship it on my dime was Eoin Pryal. I believe this is the same person I talked to today.

Goldstar225
08-17-2010, 06:01
My CW40 is back at Kahr for the second time due to the same malfunction. Both times Kahr has paid the shipping with some hesitation.

Cowart
08-17-2010, 10:26
You have 2 issues - groups too big, groups centered to the right. The groups being off to the right is not an accuracy issue, its a zeroing issue - you just need to move the rear sight a little to the left, or move the front sight a little to the right.

With 9mm costing $10/box on average around here I've already dumped $100 of ammo into it with no better results. Every time I pulled the trigger I just saw $$$$'s flying out of the barrel.

$10/box is quite a low price these days - are these reloads? You might want to try a single box of high quality ammo. It could be that this gun simply doesn't like that particular ammo. That happens sometimes.

48 OFF
08-17-2010, 15:25
Just sent a PM9 off myself. Sent it one step above regular ground. Cost of 30 dollars with insurance. Sure wasn't gonna pay the 60 plus insurance. Could not believe they wouldn't pay to ship a gun back that they messed up manufacturing. Then they tell you in the manual that if it is shipped ground and not air they will charge you 40 dollars more for their messed up pistol they couldn't build right in the first place. What a company, they won't sell anymore to me. I wish everyone knew this before they bought a Kahr and I bet they wouldn't sell another pistol to anyone.

mitchg233
08-18-2010, 09:38
I have had three round trips to Kahr and back, and they paid every time, once (most recently) reluctantly, twice without question. I suspect they pay an enormous amount on shipping because, even with their proscribed break-in period, their guns have a high rate of issues.