Not enough 45acp crimp for my LWD barrel... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not enough 45acp crimp for my LWD barrel...

wdphillips
08-15-2010, 10:46
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CWILLIA%7E1.PHI%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I was having a bit of trouble with my reloads cycling through my Glock 21 (45acp) with my LWD barrel with high capacity magazines (13, 15). The 10 round magazines seemed to work fine. I though I might have a magazine issue until I thought about the way the cartridge seemed to get “stuck” going into the barrel.
<o:p> </o:p>
It turns out I was not providing enough of a taper crimp during the reloading process. The casing edge was catching on the barrel. I suspect the larger capacity magazines had more force/momentum to highlight the problem.
I put a little more crimp on the cartridge and bingo, all of my magazines cycle like they should.
Just a heads up for others out there that might run into similar problems.

Boxerglocker
08-15-2010, 10:50
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CWILLIA%7E1.PHI%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I was having a bit of trouble with my reloads cycling through my Glock 21 (45acp) with my LWD barrel with high capacity magazines (13, 15). The 10 round magazines seemed to work fine. I though I might have a magazine issue until I thought about the way the cartridge seemed to get “stuck” going into the barrel.
It turns out I was not providing enough of a taper crimp during the reloading process. The casing edge was catching on the barrel. I suspect the larger capacity magazines had more force/momentum to highlight the problem.
I put a little more crimp on the cartridge and bingo, all of my magazines cycle like they should.
Just a heads up for others out there that might run into similar problems.

.45 ACP is a true straight walled round, what was your crimp measurement before and after?

wdphillips
08-15-2010, 11:39
That is a good question and one I cannot answer. How do you measure the crimp?

HAMMERHEAD
08-15-2010, 15:31
That is a good question and one I cannot answer. How do you measure the crimp?
With a set of calipers, very slowly and carefully work them down to the edge of the case mouth while watching the readout. It's the last measurement just before they slip off the case mouth onto the bullet.
You have to repeat it several times to be sure of your reading.

With my Glock 21 I've had a similar issue with full cap mags, but with the plated SWC bullet shoulder catching on the edge of the chamber entrance, apparently above and to the left of the feed ramp.
It will actually peel back a small section of the plating, preventing the round from fully chambering.
10 round mags have an offset bullet stack, and a follower that pushes more to the side, and they work 100% with my plated SWC loads.

If your case mouths are catching, a crimp measurement of about .005"-.008" less then the case diameter over the bullet should be plenty.

AZson
08-15-2010, 17:18
Are you reloading lead of copper plated bullets?

Boxerglocker
08-15-2010, 17:21
With a set of calipers, very slowly and carefully work them down to the edge of the case mouth while watching the readout. It's the last measurement just before they slip off the case mouth onto the bullet.

Not so delicate a process as being described here, just take the measurement of the rim of the case mouth. Take two measurement 9o degrees from each other and average.
No crimp is bullet diameter plus two times the wall thickness of the brass.

Example .45ACP FMJ being 0.450 and average brass thickness is 0.012

.45 x (0.012 x 2) = 0.474

a slight crimp would give you a range of approx .470 -.472

wdphillips
08-15-2010, 18:35
Are you reloading lead of copper plated bullets?

Copper jacketed not lead, FMJ Zero Bullets.

Zombie Steve
08-15-2010, 18:45
Not so delicate a process as being described here, just take the measurement of the rim of the case mouth. Take two measurement 9o degrees from each other and average.
No crimp is bullet diameter plus two times the wall thickness of the brass.

Example .45ACP FMJ being 0.450 and average brass thickness is 0.012

.45 x (0.012 x 2) = 0.462

a slight crimp would give you a range of approx .458 -.460

Might want to consult a calculator. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-15-2010, 18:55
ALERT, ALERT, people are measuring things and talking smack.

chris in va
08-18-2010, 00:42
I have the same issue with my CZ. If I don't taper crimp the 9mm, they hang on the rim when trying to eject a fired case.

Boxerglocker
08-18-2010, 01:30
Might want to consult a calculator. :whistling:

My bad was in a rush, and posting from my cell phone at the time. Fixed the numbers.

Zombie Steve
08-18-2010, 06:29
Good think I've never made any mistakes when talking about recipes in the reloading forum.

:whistling::supergrin:

Sonnytoo
08-19-2010, 18:21
a slight crimp would give you a range of approx .470 -.472

I use a .471 crimp. The "clunk-test" seems to be fine. This dimension, .470'-.472" is reco'd often in a different specialized "competition-only" forum.
Sonnytoo

wdphillips
08-19-2010, 21:36
I did some measuring. Looks like I am .468 to .470.