Printer recommendation(s) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Printer recommendation(s)

Green_Manelishi
08-15-2010, 12:48
I believe it might be time to retire my old HPV40xi printer. It still works well enough but cartridges are expensive. It seems I could buy a printer for just a bit more than cartridges for the v40 cost, and then save a pile of $ whenever I buy cartridges.

What say you? Any recommendations?

stooxie
08-15-2010, 13:45
I say anyone who buys an inkjet is a complete masochist.

For years laser printers have been dirt cheap and now you can get a full color laser for less then $250. Toner cartridges are more expensive than ink, it's true, BUT, they last for 1000's of pages AND never dry out/clog/etc.

-Stooxie

Green_Manelishi
08-15-2010, 14:52

For years laser printers have been dirt cheap and now you can get a full color laser for less then $250. Toner cartridges are more expensive than ink, it's true, BUT, they last for 1000's of pages AND never dry out/clog/etc.

-Stooxie

You are completely neutral on the subject, eh? FWIW we've owned that printer for years. Then again, yes I've found it somewhat wanting. But if you don't leave it on for hours it does not clog.

stooxie
08-15-2010, 17:55
You are completely neutral on the subject, eh? FWIW we've owned that printer for years. Then again, yes I've found it somewhat wanting. But if you don't leave it on for hours it does not clog.

Ummm, I'm guessing that all the people who were completely neutral on the subject haven't posted because they are completely neutral on the subject.

That's got to be one of the strangest statements I've ever seen on a forum.

You asked for opinions, you got one!

-Stooxie

Pierre!
08-15-2010, 19:52
Laser printer all the way... much less expensive to operate, and much more trouble free.

Got tired of cleaning nozzles that depleted the ink wells....

The cost per print is better on laser.

Color? Different story... The toner replacement on a color printer is pretty costly, but you still get lots of trouble free printing from them!

HTH

cgwahl
08-16-2010, 14:08
The only reasons I would suggest an inkjet printer is if it's for printing photos and the printers only job is photos. The other is for those times you do color.

Having said that, laser printers, particularly color lasers apparently do a pretty good job at photo printing now. The only issue is the cost of toner, but overall it's not too bad. Plus, I'm sure you can find generics easy.

The only times inkjets are viable is if you refill or buy generics. The ink is where the printer makers get you. For instance, my 6-color Canon printer is $10 to $15 a cartridge...I can get generics for $2 or $3...less good, perhaps, but I can just print another copy if the first one goes bad after a few years. Supposedly it causes more clogs, but I don't see that and could cause your printer to not last as long. I don't buy the second part, but even if true, I still save a ton of money.

In any event, what I would do is buy a cheap laser printer...someone made a thread in GNG asking about this same thing a few days ago. I like HP laserjets. Have one I bought a LaserJet 1012 (1000 series) 10+ years ago for $150 to $200 and it's still going strong. The drum and toner being together is a preference for me. And for the few color prints you do (assuming you don't do a lot), buy a cheap inkjet. When the ink runs out, possibly buy a new inkjet printer. It's a slightly different story if you do print a lot of color.

CA1900
08-16-2010, 14:34
I agree totally: laser all the way. I threw my POS Epson in the trash a while back when the ink clogged for the hundredth time (requiring a "cleaning cycle" that dumped a tenth of each cartridge out the nozzle).

I got a little Brother HL-2170W wireless laser printer (black-and-white), and on the rare occasion I want to print a photo, I just upload it to the store of my choice, and they have them printed out in about an hour, on real photo paper.

Pierre!
08-16-2010, 19:55
I agree totally: laser all the way. I threw my POS Epson in the trash a while back when the ink clogged for the hundredth time (requiring a "cleaning cycle" that dumped a tenth of each cartridge out the nozzle).

I got a little Brother HL-2170W wireless laser printer (black-and-white), and on the rare occasion I want to print a photo, I just upload it to the store of my choice, and they have them printed out in about an hour, on real photo paper.

You and cgwahl hit the nail on the head! Clogged injets really stink, and the resolution is to burn more INK!

*NICE*... for the cartridge MFG! Sucks to be YOU who buys the cartriges though...

I have considered running my $210 HP 3250 Color Laser till there is about 1000 prints left, selling it, and buying a new one... It's a win win! Someone gets a Color Laser for $100, and I get a new one!

The consumables on that bad boy are over $800 by the time you are done with it!!!

Go Laser, and be productive!

goldenlight
08-18-2010, 01:34
Another vote for a HP B&W laser printer, and a cheap inkjet for color, if you need it.

I bought a HP 1012 for $200 in 2004. I haven't had a single problem with it.

Now you can buy a 1000 series HP for around $100. This is a GOOD time to buy a printer, because of the back to school sales that are going on.

Get a Sunday paper, or check on-line ad for Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, Walmart, etc. in your area.

The back to school sales should be cheaper than buying on-line, but I would check newegg.com, and any other sites you trust.

This week, and the next two weeks should see LOTS of back to school sales.

Good luck.

Drjones
08-18-2010, 09:00

-Stooxie

Yes, this is 150% correct. Lasers have become DIRT cheap, they output much higher quality print, faster and cheaper...inkjets are a cruel joke.

My mom bought a Brother laser several years ago for right around $100...it starts right up, prints great, and we've only replaced the toner once, maybe twice in the 4-5 years she's had it. She obviously doesn't print a ton, but easily several pages a week.

Heck, you can even get a Samsung Color Laser (the 315) for $100....a COLOR laser printer!!! I remember back in '03 buying a couple HP color lasers for the office at my job and we paid almost $4,000 each! :faint:

Granted, the HPs we bought were slightly more office-grade machines, but still...

Anyway, stick with any of the major brands & you'll be fine. I have a particular affinity for Brother as they seem especially low-priced and very high quality. HP is always great and I had good experience with the several Samsungs I've purchased.

Either way, definitely go laser!

boomhower
08-18-2010, 09:47
I have been through two Brother HL-2140's. I paid $50 each after rebates. I figure I have saved at least $2k in ink costs. If I need to print a picture I go to a drug store or walmart. After you consider ink, printer cost, and photo paper you are going to spend as much or more than the $.20-$.30 it costs to do it there.

slupry
08-18-2010, 10:04
I recommend this Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Photo Printer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP7Z6Y?ie=UTF8&tag=shopguid0b-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002GP7Z6Y).

It is a Good wireless printer for the price.

aircarver
08-18-2010, 10:10
Four Brother 1440s (B&W), two Samsung CLP-315s (color) one Samsung is a wireless.

All work nominally.

A note about the Samsungs... they have a chip that memorizes a S/N for each toner cartriudge (there are four) intended to force you to buy new toner cartridges ($40 ea.) instead of refilling the cartridges you own with new toner.

Other manufacturers do this too, check into it before you buy.

Fortunately, you can buy a 'reset chip' for this printer on ebay, that ignores Samsung's mischief and allows you to refill the cartridges.....:supergrin:
The reset chip, does however, make the wireless not work on wireless printers, so use it on a network wired in (ethernet) printer.

boomhower
08-18-2010, 17:19
Four Brother 1440s (B&W), two Samsung CLP-315s (color) one Samsung is a wireless.

All work nominally.

A note about the Samsungs... they have a chip that memorizes a S/N for each toner cartriudge (there are four) intended to force you to buy new toner cartridges ($40 ea.) instead of refilling the cartridges you own with new toner.

Fortunately, you can buy a 'reset chip' for this printer on ebay, that ignores Samsung's mischief and allows you to refill the cartridges.....:supergrin:
The reset chip, does however, make the wireless not work on wireless printers, so use it on a network wired in (ethernet) printer.

Dang that sucks. Luckily Brother doesn't do that. I use refill toner off of eBay to refill it rather than buy high dollar toner cartridges.

cgwahl
08-18-2010, 18:34

All work nominally.

Does it force you or warn you? The chip on cartridges/toner is getting stupid, and I recall hearing Epson getting sued for forcing people to use their cartridges. And the end result was the printer manufacturers can't dictate what or whos ink you use.

Having said that, in the case of Canon, I believe they say it will or can void your warranty. But again, if I'm paying $2 for a $10 to $15 cartridge. Fine. I'm saving money in the longrun even if I have to replace the printer every few years by something crazy happening because of using generic ink. Which is unlikely.

Or in the case of Epson, having a continuous ink system setup.

aircarver
08-19-2010, 17:33
Does it force you or warn you?....I believe it forces you... but I never let it get that far before I put in the defeats 'em chip. You can read more about it on the ebay chip sellers, and the sellers of toner websites.

userfriendly
08-19-2010, 19:39
Or in the case of Epson, having a continuous ink system setup

We have been using Epson with contiuos ink systems (cis) for quite a while. They work great. Really saves money on ink. Although the newer models of Epson dont last long with the cis. I guess its their way of preventing or discouraging users form converting. The way we worked around this is to print a maximum of 10 pages then rest the printer for a few mins before printing again.

The people we buy CIS kits from tell us that Canon is better suited to cis now. We tried one and its been working fne.