what plated bullet do you think is better? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what plated bullet do you think is better?

Bello
08-15-2010, 16:04
berrys or rainier? just asking i want to range round some 9mm 115 grains

HAMMERHEAD
08-15-2010, 16:22
I've been wanting to try berry's, but have had such good luck with Rainiers that I'm afraid to switch.
I shot my first 10mm handload today, a 165 grain Rainier flat point, and got terrific accuracy, 1.5" at 15 yards offhand. Couldn't be happier.
I also use Rainiers in .45 ACP and .45 Colt (200 grain SWC's), 9mm, and .38/.357 revolvers.

In 9mm I use the .356"/130 RN with very good results.

LoadedTech
08-15-2010, 16:36
I found that for putting holes in paper, their about the same. Here's a link they have brass and bullets (1K) for $112 with free shipping. Bullets for $72/1k.
http://www.tjconevera.com/109mmofprbr1.html

dudel
08-15-2010, 17:17
Both have worked just fine for me. I appreciate the utility box Berry's ship in.

ipscshooter
08-15-2010, 17:27
I've loaded and shot a lot of Berry's in 9, 40 and 45. I've also done Rainiers in 9mm. They both seem fine.

kshutt
08-15-2010, 18:41
Between the two, I don't see much difference. I just seem to order the one that is priced best at the time.

macatex
08-15-2010, 19:06
I'll second the other here and say that they work about the same for target practice.

DWARREN123
08-15-2010, 19:32
About the same for me in 40 S&W.

freakshow10mm
08-15-2010, 20:07
Xtreme is, IMO/IME, better than the two listed. Cheaper in price and have a thicker plating so real jacketed velocity can be utilized. I tried all three and ended up choosing Xtreme as the bullet of choice for my commercial ammo and personal ammo.

McGriff
08-15-2010, 20:14
I found that for putting holes in paper, their about the same. Here's a link they have brass and bullets (1K) for $112 with free shipping. Bullets for $72/1k.

I've bought 5k of those from there and I love them. The brass can be found cheaper, however. (although maybe not "processed")

unsigned
08-15-2010, 21:08
I've shot a fair amount of Berry's and waayyyyyyy more Rainier. I put about 600 Rainier a month down range.

I prefer the Rainier, mostly because of logistics. Every Berry's order has resulted in me picking bullets out of the bottom of the shipping containers as they haven't been properly packed or secured in the box and broke open during shipping. If there are multiple calibers, I've then had to sort them. I gave it 3 shots, each with subsequent smaller orders and each one was the same so I've given up. Once the post office delivered a box in their plastic letter bins with bullets in the bottom of that.

TippyRacer
08-16-2010, 05:32
All good advice above, but since you specifically asked about 9mm, I'll just mention that I have taken to Berry's over Ranier.
Why? Berry's 9 projectiles are .356 vs Ranier at .355.
Just one of those little things that I like. Many will point and laugh :tongueout:, but hey with some of my slightly generous older Beretta and Sig barrels, I will happily take the better fit if pricing is close to the same.

steve4102
08-16-2010, 06:16
I gave up on plated, switched to Zero jacketed bullets. Same or cheaper than plated.

wongman1
08-16-2010, 10:14
Xtreme is, IMO/IME, better than the two listed. Cheaper in price and have a thicker plating so real jacketed velocity can be utilized. I tried all three and ended up choosing Xtreme as the bullet of choice for my commercial ammo and personal ammo.

Where do you get your Xtreme from?

wongman1
08-16-2010, 10:15
Do you guys swap out barrels for this stuff?

freakshow10mm
08-16-2010, 10:47
Where do you get your Xtreme from?
Manufacturer direct.

unclebob
08-16-2010, 10:49

:agree:

unclebob
08-16-2010, 10:51
Do you guys swap out barrels for this stuff?

No Stock barrel. Use them in 40, 9mm and 45 acp, & gap.

unclebob
08-16-2010, 11:01
Manufacturer direct.

:agree:
The best thing is get a bunch of people and put in a large order and have someone that has a bussiness that has a forklift that well take delivery of the shipment. Our last order 135 gr. X-treme bullets I paid $68.00 a thousand out the door.

LoadedTech
08-16-2010, 11:16
The Xtreme bullets are cheaper through http://www.tjconevera.com/109mmofprbr1.html Then their own site. $72/k. Xtreme-$92 for 115 9mm, both free shipping. I like to save $ too.

XDRoX
08-16-2010, 11:46
Between Berry's and Rainier, I prefer Berry's. I measured and weighed a bunch of each and Berry's were more consistent.

HAMMERHEAD
08-16-2010, 14:43
All good advice above, but since you specifically asked about 9mm, I'll just mention that I have taken to Berry's over Ranier.
Why? Berry's 9 projectiles are .356 vs Ranier at .355.
Just one of those little things that I like. Many will point and laugh :tongueout:, but hey with some of my slightly generous older Beretta and Sig barrels, I will happily take the better fit if pricing is close to the same.
I agree about the .356" plated, even in Glocks, that's why I always order the .356"/130 grain plated .38 Super bullets, I get Rainier because Midway carries them.
I also use .356" Hornady HAP's in Glock 9mms.

Glockin26
08-16-2010, 15:40
I ordered some Xtreme for 40 and 10mm, can't wait.

wongman1
08-16-2010, 18:53

Thanks for the link. Great pricing. Virgin reloader here (just need bullets and powder to do my first reload) and confused on which one to pick up for the Berrys 9mm 124gr. Its for range, ipsc, and glock shoots. They are all the same price $74 per K.

Flat Point
Hollow Point
Round Nose Double Struck
Hollow Base Flat Point Double Struck

Im assuming that:
flat point is good for paper - cleaner hole:supergrin:, less aerodynamic?
Hollow point is better for self defense - better expansion?
Round nose is more like fmj - equates to better flight characteristics?
Double struck is like an extra plating over the lead-which is helpful in preventing lead build up in the barrel?

Ive done some google search and forum searches and now have information overload. Im leaning towards the round nose double struck.
Can you all confirm my findings and\or provide your thoughts?

Also, will the 356 diameter matter in my stock G19 barrel?
Thanks!

McGriff
08-16-2010, 20:07
Thanks for the link. Great pricing. Virgin reloader here (just need bullets and powder to do my first reload) and confused on which one to pick up for the Berrys 9mm 124gr. Its for range, ipsc, and glock shoots. They are all the same price $74 per K.

Flat Point
Hollow Point
Round Nose Double Struck
Hollow Base Flat Point Double Struck

Im assuming that:
flat point is good for paper - cleaner hole:supergrin:, less aerodynamic?
Hollow point is better for self defense - better expansion?
Round nose is more like fmj - equates to better flight characteristics?
Double struck is like an extra plating over the lead-which is helpful in preventing lead build up in the barrel?

Ive done some google search and forum searches and now have information overload. Im leaning towards the round nose double struck.
Can you all confirm my findings and\or provide your thoughts?

Also, will the 356 diameter matter in my stock G19 barrel?
Thanks!

I think all the Berry's are "double struck". Their hollow points aren't going to act like a high quality self defense bullet because there are no serrations to create the petals. I've not tried them, though. I would stick with the round nose if all you want is a target load. They have been superbly accurate for me. I can hit 8'' targets at 50 yards with the g17.

ETA: From Berry's bullets FAQ:
"Double-Struck bullets go through an extra sizing process after being plated. This makes the bullet 100% symmetric. This can give you an edge in competitions, but most shooters won't notice the difference. We now Double-Strike all of our Preferred Plated Bullets!"