Alternative weapons: any place for self defense? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative weapons: any place for self defense?

CDR_Glock
08-16-2010, 05:53
There a lot of ornamental swords modeled from movies and pop culture. Additionally, paperweights with the styling of brass knuckles, flails, nunchakus, , studded gauntlets, spiked gloves, medieval weapons, spears and other exotic weapons are available for sale over the Internet, malls and auction sites.

What is the role of these objects, weapons, and artifacts in Self Defense? Have you any experience regarding legal precedents of the use?

Mas Ayoob
08-16-2010, 06:35
Well, there was a report within the last year of someone who used a katana ("samurai sword") to fight off a home intruder. I have to admit I've never heard of a case where the judge said, "Aw, these aren't brass knucks, they're just a paperweight." The "home ninja" thing probably won't fly well with a jury unless you are a martial arts trainer or something similar.

Remember, most of us gun folks got away from displaying our weapons in the living area of the home because, among other reasons, it guaranteed that if we walked in on a burglar he might have one of our guns in his hand already. In that situation, a martial arts weapons display pretty much guarantees that the burglar would have something to kill you with, even if he didn't bring it himself.

YMMV,
Mas

CDR_Glock
08-16-2010, 14:30
Well, there was a report within the last year of someone who used a katana ("samurai sword") to fight off a home intruder. I have to admit I've never heard of a case where the judge said, "Aw, these aren't brass knucks, they're just a paperweight." The "home ninja" thing probably won't fly well with a jury unless you are a martial arts trainer or something similar.

Remember, most of us gun folks got away from displaying our weapons in the living area of the home because, among other reasons, it guaranteed that if we walked in on a burglar he might have one of our guns in his hand already. In that situation, a martial arts weapons display pretty much guarantees that the burglar would have something to kill you with, even if he didn't bring it himself.

YMMV,
Mas

I saw the precedent

How about exotic weapons that are out of sight but used by the homeowner to slay the burglar? :whistling:

Mas Ayoob
08-16-2010, 15:31
I saw the precedent

How about exotic weapons that are out of sight but used by the homeowner to slay the burglar? :whistling:

CDR, your "whistling smiley" tells me you already know my answer. :cool:

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
08-16-2010, 16:16
:supergrin:

You've been great answering all of my questions. Thanks! In combination with reading your books, articles and posts, as well as reading an extensive list by others, I feel better equipped with more and more knowledge to make the right decision for me.

I salute you, Sir!