870 magnum or express [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 magnum or express

michael88
08-16-2010, 12:17
What exactly is the use if the 3.5 inch shells that the 3 inch won't do? Is it worth me buying? New and finally pulling the trigger on my first shotgun.

method
08-16-2010, 12:23
3.5" is useful for long range (40+ yards) waterfowl and turkey hunting. Unless you avidly hunt waterfowl or turkey, you really don't need it.

Warp
08-16-2010, 12:52
If you have to ask, you don't need a gun that can shoot 3.5" shells.

The express should serve you well.

aippi
08-16-2010, 17:59
Your question causes to me ask if you understand that all 870 Express shotguns are magnum receivers. There has never been an Express built on anything else. Any of the pre 2010 Remington shotgun that has a serial number that ends in the letter M is a magnum reciever and every Express has a serial number that ends in the letter M. So any Remington shotgun you buy today is a magnum. There may be a very high dollar trap model that is still built on a 2 3/4" receiver but I am not sure.

I think you are confusing the Super Magnum, which is chambered for 3 1/2" shells with the term "870 Magnum. The Super Magnum is a sporting shotgun and has applications to water fowl and I guess some guys may use it for Turkey. If that is your intent then it may be the model you want. All other applications for a shotgun can be met with the 870 Wing Master or Express.

wrx04
08-16-2010, 22:42
Your question causes to me ask if you understand that all 870 Express shotguns are magnum receivers. There has never been an Express built on anything else. Any of the pre 2010 Remington shotgun that has a serial number that ends in the letter M is a magnum reciever and every Express has a serial number that ends in the letter M. So any Remington shotgun you buy today is a magnum. There may be a very high dollar trap model that is still built on a 2 3/4" receiver but I am not sure.

I think you are confusing the Super Magnum, which is chambered for 3 1/2" shells with the term "870 Magnum. The Super Magnum is a sporting shotgun and has applications to water fowl and I guess some guys may use it for Turkey. If that is your intent then it may be the model you want. All other applications for a shotgun can be met with the 870 Wing Master or Express.

I have an 870 that the serial number ends with "A".....what does that mean? The gun was bought in December '09.

aippi
08-16-2010, 23:38
It is a 2010 model under the new serial number system. Kind of like the cars they come out before the year. It begins with RS which simply means Remington Shotgun and has five numbers and ends in a Letter. A is used until they build so many they run out of numbers in the five digit series and they then go to B, which is where they are now and then to C and so on and so on. So it means nothing more then a way for them to register the weapon and know when it was manufactured.

The reason they went to this is because they are now owned by the "Freedom Group" who also owns, DPMS, Bushmaster, New England Arms and a few more. So this large Manufacture reasigned the serial numbering system for all their diferent companies so they know the Serial Number starting with RS meand Remington Shotgun.

The pre 2010 serial number system belonged to Remington and they used different suffixes to indetify features of the weapon. Such as "M" was a 12ga magnum receiver and "V" was a 12ga 2 3/4" recevier, "U" was a 20ga magnum receiver. However there are some "N" and "X" 20ga out there that are built on the 12ga receiver and are called 20ga heavy receiver, any way you get the point. That system is history and the new Prefixes and number and letter suffix on any Remington shotgun just shows when it was made.

And yes your 870 is a Magnum receiver as are all Remington shotguns now.

Z71bill
08-17-2010, 08:02
IMHO - 3.5" shells are a marketing thing.

The old bigger is better - more power is better -

I am going to wait for the 4 inch Super-Duper Magnum +P+ :upeyes:

method
08-17-2010, 13:04
The way I understand it, 3.5" came along when lead shot started getting banned for waterfowl hunting. Before other non-toxic alternatives came along, steel shot was about the only choice, and it wasn't doing a very satisfactory job of killing at waterfowl distances.
The longer shell allowed a bigger payload with a bit more oomph to it.