Have any of you casters tried putting your hand in molten lead? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you casters tried putting your hand in molten lead?

coachg
08-16-2010, 12:55
From Mythbusters Mini Myth Mayhem. I watched this last night and was pretty amazed. I thought I had read somewhere that even just a few drops of sweat might make the molten lead shoot all over the place.

A person can wet his hand and briefly dip it into molten lead without injury.

confirmed

Skip to 1:58 to miss the ear wax portion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZio0f7fP04

fredj338
08-16-2010, 13:07
Nope, my common sense over rides my sense of adventure for foolish risks.

GioaJack
08-16-2010, 13:14
I don't care if you get burned or not, I ain't doin' it. The more important questions are where did they get all the lead and can I have it?

Jack

Jeff82
08-16-2010, 13:23
Aw, you ain't got a hair on yer ...

FLSlim
08-16-2010, 13:29
Why oh why.

CitizenOfDreams
08-16-2010, 14:17
(Looking at a soldering iron burn on my hand) I don't think playing with molten lead is a good idea.

jmorris
08-16-2010, 16:07
I have seen molten lead blown up to a 19 ft tall ceiling by having a very small amount of water introduced into the mix. I don’t let my ungloved hands near molten lead much less stick one of them in it.

There are lots of things in life you CAN do but many of them you shouldn’t.

srd
08-16-2010, 18:44
WOW !! I wil, pass on that one. Yes i have had a few drops of water hit inside my lead pot before. Yes it exploded !!

DanaT
08-16-2010, 18:51
I don't care if you get burned or not, I ain't doin' it. The more important questions are where did they get all the lead and can I have it?

Jack

So wouldnt it be better for some of you old guys to do it and tell us how it turns out? I mean, think about, we need our hands much longer....

-Dana

hackinpeat
08-16-2010, 18:56
I'm not a reloader, but I have done this when I was a teenager. Lead melts at around 600 degrees, you pull pans out of your oven at home at up to 500 degrees all the time (I'm sure you use a hot pad though hahah!)

I have also walked on fire.

A thin layer of water (or sweat and ash in the case of fire walking) can create a layer of steam that will protect you for a short amount of time. you can indeed dunk a wet hand in molten lead very quickly with no ill effects.

M1A Shooter
08-16-2010, 20:12
wouldnt the water on your hand cause an eruption like a wet WW?

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2010, 20:52
I watched the episode a year ago. It worked. I know it shouldn't but it did. I can't imagine why you would ever try it. Takes guts. Maybe we can get Jack to try it.

bush pilot
08-16-2010, 22:52
Try getting a finger between the bottom of a die and the top of a ram and apply plenty of pressure, tell me if that hurts worse than the lead stunt.

fredj338
08-16-2010, 23:54
I watched the episode a year ago. It worked. I know it shouldn't but it did. I can't imagine why you would ever try it. Takes guts. Maybe we can get Jack to try it.
I'm not sure it's guts. I saw a video of a guy jumping out of an airplane w/ no chute to hook up w/ a buddy that had a tandum rig on. Gutsy, brave, uh, no! Stupid is what I call it. ANytime one takes an extreme risk for a little or no reward is not brave but foolish IMO. Take heed or you'll never make it to be Jack's age.:fred:

GioaJack
08-17-2010, 09:04
Seeing as how the rest of you apparently have no testicular fortitude what-so-ever I decided to uphold the honor of Mountain Men everywhere and take the plunge... so to speak.

The result is what you might expect... it is very difficult to type on an iPhone with one hand while an emergency room doctor holds it for you.

I always knew those Mythbuster guys were full of crap! :crying:

Jack

coachg
08-17-2010, 09:05
I'm not a reloader, but I have done this when I was a teenager. Lead melts at around 600 degrees, you pull pans out of your oven at home at up to 500 degrees all the time (I'm sure you use a hot pad though hahah!)

I have also walked on fire.

A thin layer of water (or sweat and ash in the case of fire walking) can create a layer of steam that will protect you for a short amount of time. you can indeed dunk a wet hand in molten lead very quickly with no ill effects.

Just in case anyone decides to try this, (Please don't), it seemed like the temperature was critical. If it wasn't hot enough, it didn't form the protective layer and actually burned the sausage they used to test it.

glockaviator
08-17-2010, 18:28
No, but then I've never pissed on a spark plug either.

TheGrimReaper
08-17-2010, 19:13
WHAT!!! You don't occasionally stick your digits in HOT MOLTEN LEAD??? What is going on?!?!? How else do you tell if it is ready???:tongueout:

chris in va
08-18-2010, 00:38
Seriously Jack...did you do it?

McGriff
08-18-2010, 02:23
Try getting a finger between the bottom of a die and the top of a ram and apply plenty of pressure, tell me if that hurts worse than the lead stunt.

Oh my goodness this one hurts so bad! I've had 2 good ones where I was scared to look and see how much damage was done to my finger. Both times with the sizing die which has the freaking needle that removes primers.

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 08:58
Seriously Jack...did you do it?

Chris, may I emphatically state once and for all... I'm not nearly as stupid as I look.

NO, I didn't stick my hand in a pot of molten lead! (I have been known to pick up a hot horseshoe more than once however... hence the three ex-wives. :whistling:)

Jack

phonejack
08-18-2010, 15:04
this is kinda sorta similar. i am an old retired telephone cable splicer. back in the day, we used lead "sleeves" to cover splices. no open flames were allowed in manholes so we melted solder above ground, lowered it by a rope down into the manhole and poured the solder over the end of the lead sleeve and ----------- we caught the over flow in a 12 " pad made from pillow ticking. we wore common "white mule" work gloves. yeah, i have scars on my hands! and yes, molted lead or solder will explode if drops of water get into it.

bush pilot
08-18-2010, 16:58
Chris, may I emphatically state once and for all... I'm not nearly as stupid as I look.

NO, I didn't stick my hand in a pot of molten lead! (I have been known to pick up a hot horseshoe more than once however... hence the three ex-wives. :whistling:)

Jack

Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you're every bit as stupid as you look.

Uncle Don
08-18-2010, 18:25
No, but I did do the next worse thing. Had just a hundred or so bullets to mold and I was stirring some flux into the lead and when it caught fire (as it naturally does), my hand jumped to get away from it, but unfortunatelly, my hand was holding the dipper.

Even though it doesn't look like it, there is an amazing amount of lead in a dipper and it can fly upwards pretty quickly. As we know, what goes up must come down and it landed on the back of my hand and I couldn't find the gloves that day (won't make that mistake again). It reminded me of that first Indiana Jones movie where the Nazi's flesh melts off his face. I have no idea how I escaped scars in that deal.

As you might guess, I really don't cast unless I really have to. To put your hand in the lead on purpose proves you're really touched in my opinion.

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 18:39
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you're every bit as stupid as you look.

I have dispatched my Carrier Pigeon to consult with the flocks of geese in your flight path. :whistling:

Jack

cohutt
08-18-2010, 20:04
never stuck my finger in molten lead.

had some tickle my foot once.

It was a riot.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/burns/footburn921c.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/burns/footburn921d.jpg

so remember,

"let's be careful out there"

http://savetherenaultbears.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/phil1.jpg

McGriff
08-18-2010, 21:10

It was a riot.

Did it spill in the top of your shoe? I bet it felt awesome cooling that lead down with your skin. You do a little dance? :dancing:

chris in va
08-19-2010, 12:36
Wow. I'm definitely wearing pants and long sleeve shirt from now on.

vafish
08-19-2010, 13:17
Do Not Try What You See At Home!!!!

shotgunred
08-19-2010, 16:08
Let me guess. You are also thinking about playing Russian roulette with an auto loader.

bush pilot
08-19-2010, 16:55

It was a riot.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/burns/footburn921c.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/burns/footburn921d.jpg

so remember,

"let's be careful out there"

http://savetherenaultbears.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/phil1.jpg

Didn't this stunt later get it's own name? I thought it was Cohutting or Cohutted, seems like it made it into the dictionary.

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2010, 17:25
Ouch.

Uncle Don
08-19-2010, 19:24
Yep - that trumps my little trip down that road.