Best place to buy Brenneke slugs? (selection, price, service...) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Brenneke slugs? (selection, price, service...)

Warp
08-16-2010, 15:59
I'm sold on my "need" for some Brenneke brand slugs. 12g. Most notably the 3" Black Magic magnum and 2 3/4" Special Forces Short Magnum. I can't find anybody that has both available, though. The closest I found was cheaper than dirt with the black magic and green lightning. I know the green lightning is the same round as the special forces but I guess I am being picky. I'm not a huge fan of CTD anyway.

Where should I look?

Glocker08
08-16-2010, 16:12
I'm sold on my "need" for some Brenneke brand slugs. 12g. Most notably the 3" Black Magic magnum and 2 3/4" Special Forces Short Magnum. I can't find anybody that has both available, though. The closest I found was cheaper than dirt with the black magic and green lightning. I know the green lightning is the same round as the special forces but I guess I am being picky. I'm not a huge fan of CTD anyway.

Where should I look?

CTD is anything but CTD. :whistling:

method
08-16-2010, 17:32
Midway USA seems to have both.

http://www.google.com/products?q=midway+usa+brenneke&hl=en&aq=f

Warp
08-16-2010, 18:33
CTD is anything but CTD. :whistling:

I havn't found them for less elsewhere.

CTD has 10 rounds of each (well, green lightning not the special forces) for $32.30. Midway (below) is $44.96 for the same.

Midway USA seems to have both.
http://www.google.com/products?q=midway+usa+brenneke&hl=en&aq=f

That they do. Nice catch.

Warp
08-18-2010, 21:53
I settled on Cheaper Than Dirt. Their prices really were the best I could find for a great many products. I got 4 boxes each of the 'Green Lightning' heavy field short magnum as well as the 3" Black Magic Magnum. Also a few other small things. The shipment is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I am a little confused and worried though. Order status says "partial shipped/processing" and today the Green Lightning shows up as out of stock online. I cannot figure their site out, apparently. If it was only shipped partially shouldn't I be able to see what was/was not shipped?

cj5mrt
08-19-2010, 14:39
I settled on Cheaper Than Dirt. Their prices really were the best I could find for a great many products. I got 4 boxes each of the 'Green Lightning' heavy field short magnum as well as the 3" Black Magic Magnum. Also a few other small things. The shipment is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I am a little confused and worried though. Order status says "partial shipped/processing" and today the Green Lightning shows up as out of stock online. I cannot figure their site out, apparently. If it was only shipped partially shouldn't I be able to see what was/was not shipped?

That's why I no longer order from CTD. Needed some ammo and mics other things. Called to make sure all was in stock. Placed order and paid for 2 day shipping. Got bits and pieces of my order over 10 days time. No refund for the shipping. They suck and will never get any money from me again.

Mike

Warp
08-19-2010, 14:43
That is crap, then.

This is the first time I have dealt with CTD. I placed the order at 03:00 Tuesday morning with regular ground shipping. It shipped out Tue and arrived today (Thursday). All items are present and accounted for.

My order from ammunitiontogo (3rd time using them) was placed Sunday night and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I had avoided CTD previously due to mixed reviews, but a LOT of people order a LOT of stuff from them and they did have the best prices/availability I could find.

just a shooter
08-19-2010, 21:43
try ammunitiontogo.com

they have your speshul farces but no black majik.......

but give a good look at the HEXOLITE32.

whollie crap!!

Warp
08-19-2010, 21:51
try ammunitiontogo.com

they have your speshul farces but no black majik.......

but give a good look at the HEXOLITE32.

whollie crap!!

...yes, they have the short magun (special forces packaging). However, they are charging just a little bit more than CTD wanted for the 'green lightning' packaged short magnum and theirs (A2G) are only available in lots of 25 or 100. And, as you mentioned, they don't have the 3" 1 3/8 oz magnum.

If I could go back and I would probably have gone ahead and grabbed the 25 rounds of special forces short mag from A2G and paid a little bit more because, well, I'd rather have the red color of the special forces packaged slugs and it would be a good excuse to get 25 of them instead of 20. :whistling:

I do have shotty ammo coming with my order from A2G tomorrow. 25 rnds Winchester low recoil 8 pellet 00 and 20 rounds Hornaday TAP 8 pellet 00 light magnum.

I plan to visit the range this weekend (tomorrow if the shipment comes early enough) so that I can pattern at least a half dozen different buckshot loads. I just got some targets ready, one (or more) for each round with marker indicating which is which. I'll take pictures afterwards and post 'em up somewhere around here.

just a shooter
08-19-2010, 22:17
also give the Winchester ranger low recoil slugs a look.

they penetrate deeper, are more accurate and shroom out very nice.

I just shoot 100 of them at my recent instructor course. at the end of the day we were putting 5 rounds into a cloverleaf at 25 yards.

and at 50 yards all 10 were in the vital zone or 10 ring.

head shots were a snap with rifle sights and a 20" barrel.

Warp
08-19-2010, 22:21
also give the Winchester ranger low recoil slugs a look.

they penetrate deeper, are more accurate and shroom out very nice.

I just shoot 100 of them at my recent instructor course. at the end of the day we were putting 5 rounds into a cloverleaf at 25 yards.

and at 50 yards all 10 were in the vital zone or 10 ring.

head shots were a snap with rifle sights and a 20" barrel.

I have 25 coming. That is what I meant by winchester low recoil, I just forgot to type the "Ranger" part. ;)

I would have ordered more of them, as well as the Hornaday, and/or picked up yet more of the Federal LE Tactical with flight control wad (all the ones I have are full power, I'd like to have some in reduced too) but the shells were more of an add on or afterthought. The primary purpose for the order was 1k rounds of 9mm

G19 A4
08-23-2010, 20:20
Hey Warp,

Can you give us a short report on your impressions (recoil, patterning, maybe amount of target penetration, etc.) on the Black Magic vs. Green Lightning vs. any other reduced recoil SLUG load?

Please let us know what gun you shoot them out of (pump vs. auto).

Thanks.

Warp
08-23-2010, 22:01
Hey Warp,

Can you give us a short report on your impressions (recoil, patterning, maybe amount of target penetration, etc.) on the Black Magic vs. Green Lightning vs. any other reduced recoil SLUG load?

Please let us know what gun you shoot them out of (pump vs. auto).

Thanks.

I havn't shot the green lightning.

The only thing I have shot with buck/slugs in my 870 (my only shotgun) is paper targets.

Neither the black magic or green lightning are reduced recoil. From Brenneke's linup that would be the Tactical Home Defense load.

The recoil of the black magic magnum was not as bad as I anticipated. It still hurt my shoulder and I smacked my cheek but I don't think it was any worse than the remington 3" mag buck/slugs I have shot.

I still put a Knoxx stock way up at the top of my list as a result of that day at the range, though.

The remington reduced recoil slug (1oz, 1200 fps) shoots very soft compared to the full power and magnum loads. It is more akin to a budget target/birdshot load bought in bulk at walmart.

Mr Wasabi
09-03-2010, 13:22
Anybody know a good deal on the Tactical Home Defense? ATG doesn't have any. I want to get some for just that, HD, to mix in with my Federal low recoil 00.

Warp
09-03-2010, 21:27
Anybody know a good deal on the Tactical Home Defense? ATG doesn't have any. I want to get some for just that, HD, to mix in with my Federal low recoil 00.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60353-5.html