Laptop problems?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problems??

cosmose
08-16-2010, 19:03
so my laptop has been showing this blue screen( about 4 times in the last 3 days) i have no idea what it is, but from what i read on google it's not good.
when the blue screen comes on it says something about reinstalling or uninstalling any new programs and that windows is shutting down for protection. any ideas on what i need to do to fix it? (please dumb it up for me, i'm not that good on computers :embarassed:) my laptop is a toshiba and it has vista (its about 3-4 years old)

i would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me

GIockGuy24
08-16-2010, 19:10
Especially on a laptop, only install drivers from the Laptop maker, not from Windows update. The video drivers can cause the biggest problems but there are others. If you can download a video driver for that laptop or have a CD/DVD with drivers on it you might be able to uninstall the current video driver in safe mode. then install the proper driver.

You may just be getting some Vista updates but some of your other programs, like security ones, might be interfering with them.

wrenrj1
08-16-2010, 19:10
I'd suspect bad HD. If you can get it to come up, remove all of your important files to a external drive. Do you have all of your system/installation disks? I went through this a few months ago with my Dell. I installed a new HD, basically plug and play and reinstalled my OS and went to the Dell website for the drivers. Just my .02

filthy infidel
08-16-2010, 19:19
Video drivers and bad memory/poorly seated memory are what I'd check first. Afterwards, leave the laptop on a counter where it can run cool. Use it gently, if it doesn't BSOD anymore, you've probably got a cracked motherboard.

cosmose
08-16-2010, 19:21
i forgot to mention when i go to the start menu it's slow and sometimes it won't let me in??idk if i have the cd/dvd's that came with it or not (i'll check and see)
also last week i was having a problem with it just shutting down.. i google and found out it just needed cleaning out(with compressed air) i did, and it hasn't switched off since, could it have messed something up by cutting off so much?

Sgt. Schultz
08-16-2010, 21:19
Since the system is several years old save yourself a lot of time trouble shooting a problem that may well be a software/drive issue ... backup your data and use the recovery discs and do a clean install.

A word of caution, when using compressed air to clean computer fans you should either hold the fan or place something in-between the fan blades to prevent it from spinning. Allowing the fan to spin under the air blast can damage the motor or bearings.

cosmose
08-19-2010, 14:26
so far my computer has been running fine (no more blue screen) i did download ccleaner and it has been running faster and smoother....but i can not open windows movie maker without it locking up on me?? i think i was in movie maker when the first blue screen came up? any idea's on what that could be? it really sucks because i just bought a new digital camera and was going to edit some stuff

Ragin Cajun
08-19-2010, 15:21
so far my computer has been running fine (no more blue screen) i did download ccleaner and it has been running faster and smoother....but i can not open windows movie maker without it locking up on me?? i think i was in movie maker when the first blue screen came up? any idea's on what that could be? it really sucks because i just bought a new digital camera and was going to edit some stuff

Uninstall movie maker and reinstall.

RC

cosmose
08-19-2010, 16:17
Uninstall movie maker and reinstall.

thanks man i'm good to go now:thumbsup: