RATS... now I need a bear load! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RATS... now I need a bear load!

GioaJack
08-16-2010, 19:51
Heard the horses screaming in the pasture, sounded like they were saying, DADDY, DADDY, HE'S GOING TO EAT US!

Walked out on the deck, they were racing around like cats with their tails on fire. Not their normal mode of behavior, usually they just stand around eating and pooping. I got the impression they were more concerned with not becoming the featured dish of a buffet than having a casual bowel movement.

since they were running to one end of the pasture I looked at the other end just in time to see a bear walking into the trees. Only saw him for a few seconds so I'm not sure if it was Yogi or Boo-Boo.

Didn't really give it much though since we have bears around here all the time and I didn't see any bloody heaps laying in the pasture. After an hour or so Dawg announced that she had to go potty and as I opened the back door I noticed two horses grazing. I recognized them immediately, they were large animals with a leg at each corner and they were supposed to be in the pasture. Bad horses.

Through the wizardry of modern technology I was able to pull out the old cell phone and call the son-in-law. He wasn't pleased when I informed him of the looses equines. Apparently he had spent a portion of the morning retrieving garbage cans and cleaning up trash caused by a bear's inquisitive scrounging.

After a few minutes the SIL showed up, gathered the errant livestock, returned them to the pasture and started walking home. To say I was a bit bewildered would be an understatement. As he walked by I inquired as to if he thought they had figured out a way of unlocking gates without thumbs. Took him a few moments to figure out what I was talking about. (Make no mistake, he's pretty much a transplanted flatlander and at times it tries my patients.

Apparently the look on my face told him what he needed to know. He jumped on the ATV in search of the escape point. He returned after a few minutes and informed me that the inconsiderate bruin had broken through the fence to gain entry in one area and made his exit through the fence some hundred yards further down. (Not being a highly trained investigator such as myself I knew he had no idea which one was entry or exit. As I said, he's a flatlander. I can't believe I allow him to touch my daughter. A few minutes work with the fence stretcher rectified the broken strands which took care of the immediate problem but now I have to be prepared for the next unannounced visit.

I spent a good portion of the day sitting in the loading room contemplating my options. Most people would say the choice is a no brainer, load up a nice 30-06 or .308 and dispatch the pesky critter. Naw, that's too easy, I'd never even have to get off the deck.

Being the light footed, stealthy little creature that I am I know I can slither up within rock throwing distance for an easy handgun shot. But alas, what handgun? .44 mag, .41 mag, .357 mag, etc., etc., etc. Naw, those would be the choices of lesser men. For example, certain people who live in Indiana, New York and southern Colorado. (They know who they are.)

I finally decided on the perfect caliber and load. I going with a 105 grain JHP .380. Not to worry, not to worry, just to be on the safe side I'm going to load up two of 'em. What'da ya think I 'm crazy or something?

Jack

Eyescream
08-16-2010, 19:56
You big baby. Use a .25 ACP.

WiskyT
08-16-2010, 19:57
It will save you a lot of time and trouble if you smear some peanut butter or Nutella on your forehead. Just stand on a blue tarp so you can get your brass back.

WiskyT
08-16-2010, 20:00
Oh, BTW, I'm watching Walker, Texas Ranger and he just stared down a Grizzley. Chuck just used his chi to take care of a bear. I think that kind of blows your hole 380ACP for the Boone and Crocket record books thing.

32dgrz
08-16-2010, 20:02
How bout a nail in the foot

bob_fuller
08-16-2010, 20:04
I personally think you should save the reloading supplies and get a pointy stick. it's free and (somewhat) effective!

Colorado4Wheel
08-16-2010, 20:06
I actually have some of these and no .357.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

Hint Hint.

WiskyT
08-16-2010, 20:10
I actually have some of these and no .357.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

Hint Hint.

Ruger has the LCR in 357 mag now. I'd chip in to watch you touch one of those off. I tried some 158's with LilGun, that do 1400 in my GP100, in my 2.25 SP101, but the trigger guard hit my middle finger so hard I couldn't finish the cylinder.

Big Bore Fan
08-16-2010, 20:34
I vote for the ol black powder, if you miss the smoke will mask your getaway.:tongueout:

robin303
08-16-2010, 20:39
Where was the butler during all this!!! :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 20:40
For example, certain people who live in Indiana, New York and southern Colorado. (They know who they are.)

Jack

Why do I feel like a jackass?

njl
08-16-2010, 20:41
40gr .22lr (put it through the eye). Just make sure your power chair's got a full charge before you piss it off.

dad1
08-16-2010, 20:43
I'm confused, you plan on shootin' the bear or the son in law?

StarShip2100
08-16-2010, 20:44
.500 smith. thats if your not scared.... :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
08-16-2010, 20:45
I'm confused, you plan on shootin' the bear or the son in law?

Are SIL's in season in Colorado?

(I have nothing useful to add to this thread, as I don't hunt... :))

IGF

ilgunguygt
08-16-2010, 21:36
Jack, out here in IL we dont have bears. Its simply because they are afraid of the real men that live in the midwest. Perhaps you could attempt to put forth a masculine front and scare him off? If that doesn't work you could always go to plan two, and use a pointy stick. Anything more and its not fair to the poor creature.

Zombie Steve
08-16-2010, 21:41
Funny thing, Jack. My friend in Woodland Park posted this on facebook a few hours ago...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/knellbear.jpg

THE INVASION HAS STARTED!!!111

GET YOUR SHTF / TEOTWAWKI .380'S!!!

Zombie Steve
08-16-2010, 21:42
I like the sharp stick and power chair idea, Jack. I can't remember anyone ever jousting a bear.

jl1288
08-16-2010, 22:14
460 rowland or a 45colt. Otherwise bear spray. LOL. 280gr beartooth bullet or maybe a 300gr hornady XTP in 45colt. The 460 i'd say load whatever you want. You could always out out a picinicanicanica basket full of goodies. Just my 1/2 cent

glockaviator
08-16-2010, 22:49
I'd go with a rifle load for bear. If you insist on pistol, is there some pointed round? Bear skulls can be very hard to penetrate, especially from the front. Really you need a shotgun or a high power rilfe.

glockaviator
08-17-2010, 02:19
Generally, small bears are the ones that climb trees. Big bears can't magage it.

shotgunred
08-17-2010, 05:08
Down here at sea level we have found that through modern science we could solve that problem and several others by plugging the fence in the most convenient electric outlet. It also keep the female elk out. Male elk seem to like to wear electric fence as some sort of badge of honer and try to collect large strands of it on their antlers.

GioaJack
08-17-2010, 08:56
Not only do I detect a lack of sincere empathy from my forum members but I get the suspicious feeling that many of the suggestions are geared toward me becoming an upcoming hibernation meal.

I was up most of the night researching the elimination of nuisance bears and nowhere did I find a reference to the pointy stick and Power Chair technique. (By the way, I didn't pay a penny for my Power Chair, Medicare paid for it all.)

Based on the less than experienced loader like recommendations I can come to but one conclusion... most members who lurk on this forum are closet members of PETA. :crying:

Jack

njl
08-17-2010, 09:04
See if you can mount one of these on the power chair.

http://vpcblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/10-22gatling.jpg

guyandarifle
08-17-2010, 09:14
.44 Mag 320gr Cast Performance hardcast sitting on 22.0gr of H110.

Only load 1 as that's obviously all you'll need. If the ursine is still giving you trouble after the shot finish it with a tire tool.

unclebob
08-17-2010, 09:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpyFMEKQyrk
This well take care of your problem.
If not then I would just use the 30-06 or .308.
But then if you were a real mountain man you would just use a Bowie knife. But with your condition that might not be a good idea. Unless you have a suicide wish.
Couple of months ago we had a bear. Kept tearing up fences. Game control was worthless. Put the garbage inside for a while and he moved on too happier pastures.

Zombie Steve
08-17-2010, 10:52
http://www.marlerblog.com/uploads/image/Don-Quixote-Windmill.gif

GioaJack
08-17-2010, 11:09
Took me forever to teach Don Quixote how to ride a horse, seems that he had a real affinity for sheep.

Kept complaining that he had to walk too far to kiss 'em. Have no idea what that meant. :dunno:

Jack

Hey, BTW, found out the black powder silhouette shoot is Sunday, not Saturday. 200 meters, 150 meters, 100 meters and 50 meters. Shoot 'em all on your hind legs like a real man. Great fun.

Jack

hoffy
08-17-2010, 11:37
M-80s, stuffed in your belt, the trick is to time lighting them just before you pass out, so the bear will have likely swallowed a few, that's the manly way. The easy way for close range work would be a 460 S&W with really hard cast(not quite centerfire rife hard, no brittleness), 325 gr gas checked bullet pushed by lots of H-110. Will pass through a 12 inch hardwood tree, should do for bear, just watch the head shots, no glancing blows or you have to shoot twice.

glockaviator
08-17-2010, 12:38
Another one that works is a FLARE GUN. Flare gets stuck in their fur, they get burned (not too badly), and it scares the **** outa them.

But really, bear defense in a gun. 12 guage slugs alternated with biggest buckshot.

PCJim
08-17-2010, 13:26
:teddy:Seems like most people want to kill da bear. Why not just eliminate the food source and dispatch the horses? :deadhorse:

LEAD
08-17-2010, 13:34
If i've learned anything from glock talk, its that its not about caliber, but shot placement, so you should be able to handle it with a 22short

shotgunred
08-17-2010, 14:26
:teddy:Seems like most people want to kill da bear. Why not just eliminate the food source and dispatch the horses? :deadhorse:

Because horse meat doesn't taste that good and it sticks to the grill like no ones business. Also you would need more than one freezer for several horses.

Most importantly women like horses. Do you have any idea how many strange women driving down the road will stop and ask to pet and brush horses. Do you really think a 170 year old guy keeps horses to ride in the back country?

Harley08
08-17-2010, 14:38
Don't forget to shoot him in the ass first with the .380, that way he will turn around so you can get a clear head shot. The BEAR not your SIL!

Brian Lee
08-17-2010, 14:51
.................... Being the light footed, stealthy little creature that I am I know I can slither up within rock throwing distance for an easy handgun shot.....................

Jack

I saw a video of two hunters shooting a bear with 300 Mag rifles once. It was about 100 yards away when the first guy shot it, and the bear reacted in a pretty pissed off way. After getting back on his feet, he looked up, saw the hunters and began charging right at them, and now they're BOTH shooting (and hitting him a few times too). They barely dropped him after he'd covered almost all of the distance between himself and the hunters....... I hope I never have to shoot a bear with a pistol.

Your post makes a nice little joke though.:wavey:

Zombie Steve
08-17-2010, 14:56
Colorado black bear ain't so tough...

We used to have brownies around here - google search "old mose".

albyihat
08-17-2010, 17:52
guns u say, up here in montucky we still use rocks. man up! although the bears do keep the tourist population in check. now if only we could teach the wolfs that tourists are fair game.

John Rambo
08-17-2010, 17:57
Landmines.

gjk5
08-17-2010, 22:07
Not only do I detect a lack of sincere empathy from my forum members but I get the suspicious feeling that many of the suggestions are geared toward me becoming an upcoming hibernation meal.

I was up most of the night researching the elimination of nuisance bears and nowhere did I find a reference to the pointy stick and Power Chair technique. (By the way, I didn't pay a penny for my Power Chair, Medicare paid for it all.)

Based on the less than experienced loader like recommendations I can come to but one conclusion... most members who lurk on this forum are closet members of PETA. :crying:

Jack

I do hereby swear that if you get et by a bare I will follow him around and sculpt his poop into a fair to middlin likeness of an old Tom Selleck.

It will be proudly displayed on the West Slope as a testament to the female entrancing geezerness that is Jack.

kirgi08
08-18-2010, 01:38
Thanks Jack.'08. :rofl:

shotgunred
08-20-2010, 14:41
Jees jack your doing it all wrong. According to the BC fish and game you just have to throw a stick at him. Though it might not hurt to get him stoned first.

hackinpeat
08-20-2010, 14:54
lol, .380.... you are indeed a crazy old man.

Personally as a mountain man from washington I would be heading out to dad's place to borrow grandpa's old .30.06 it worked in Korea and WWII, I figure those left over bullets will still make large holes in any critter.

To each his own, and be sure to pack a BUG.

You probably have too much land to bother with the old tin can and rock bear alarms around the field, but a noise maker tends to scare most bears off quickly, they are just big puppies.

Homechicken
08-20-2010, 15:13
Can't believe no one has said it yet. Use a 10mm!!

Seriously though, in defense of your SIL. Couldn't he have been able to tell which was the entrance and which the exit by the direction the fence was pushed/bent in? Bent toward the interior of the pasture would be the entrance and vice versa. :) Then again, I suppose that would depend on whether the bear pushed through it or pulled it down before going through, so never mind. :dunno:Hey, I'm a city boy, so what would I know anyway?

unclebob
08-20-2010, 15:36
Can't believe no one has said it yet. Use a 10mm!!

Seriously though, in defense of your SIL. Couldn't he have been able to tell which was the entrance and which the exit by the direction the fence was pushed/bent in? Bent toward the interior of the pasture would be the entrance and vice versa. :) Then again, I suppose that would depend on whether the bear pushed through it or pulled it down before going through, so never mind. :dunno:Hey, I'm a city boy, so what would I know anyway?

Or since it was pasture land it might have left bear tracks that would maybe tell it what direction he was going?
But since its Jacks SL it would not make any difference. No matter what he says he well be wrong.:tongueout:

Zombie Steve
08-20-2010, 17:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjWZiCeJsQ

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 17:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjWZiCeJsQ

A sixty second lesson on tuning a banjo... your wild and crazy lifestyle puts us all to shame. :whistling:

Jack

Zombie Steve
08-20-2010, 17:13
Some suffer for their art, Jack.

n2extrm
08-20-2010, 17:15
Just get the sling shot out already.

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 17:23
Some suffer for their art, Jack.

Don't forget my beer, and bring some big rifle brass that needs to be sized so you can try the Co-Ax.

Jack

PastorDan
08-20-2010, 17:24
If i've learned anything from glock talk, its that its not about caliber, but shot placement, so you should be able to handle it with a 22short

The onlyway this will work is if you use a Davey Cricket - If you need one my daughter will loan you a pink one.

Zombie Steve
08-20-2010, 17:36
Don't forget my beer, and bring some big rifle brass that needs to be sized so you can try the Co-Ax.

Jack

Deal.

So, what should I bring for your bear problem?

:whistling:

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 17:59
Deal.

So, what should I bring for your bear problem?

:whistling:

Bring Little Stevie... we'll use him as bait.

I've got the LNL's set up for .38's and .45... the 550 for .45 RN with a .44 mag head and the SDB for 9mm.

I've got plenty of different powders and primers but bring brass and bullets for the calibers you want to load.

If you have sissy guns you want to test loads in bring 'em, you can shoot 'em out back.

If you want to cast bring some wheel weights... I didn't take you to raise.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-20-2010, 18:28
Bears are kind cool.

adv
08-20-2010, 19:57
Some poor bear's going to have some wicked bad indigestion.

unclebob
08-23-2010, 09:20
Well Jack it looks like your bear moved too Florida, My wife just told me that our so-called daughter in law that lives about 2 miles up the road from us. Has had a bear in her front yard the last two nights.

PCJim
08-23-2010, 09:51
Bear tastes a LOT like beef, only coarser grained. Use regular beef recipes.

:eat:

shotgunred
08-23-2010, 17:49
How could you mean cruel men think about hurting bears.

vram74
08-23-2010, 18:12
Bamboozle the bear by running around his general area covered in a white sheet while making scary ghost noises. Once you have him completely off his guard (his head will be tilted with a definitive "WTF?" expression on his face), take him out cleanly with a .308 spit-fired from a blowgun.

I make no promises this will work but at least the bear can use the sheet to drag your dead ass off to momma bear should he prevail....