Anyone have experience with Alliant STEEL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Alliant STEEL?

Meathead9
08-16-2010, 20:58
I just loaded up a bunch of DT 200gr WFNGC's with different charges of Longshot & Blue Dot (CCI300's) to test out options for a hunting load. I have 2k WLP's on order right now, and I plan on working up with those as soon as they show up.

Then I noticed this data from McNETT:

Using CCI350's
12.0gr STEEL - 1380fps 6"KKM
12.5gr STEEL - 1396fps 6"KKM
13.0gr STEEL - 1410fps 6"KKM

I haven't chrono'd my LS & BD loads yet, but I'll be happy to hit 1300fps out of my G20L. A 200gr bullet @ 1410fps is rediculous. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this powder? I can't seem to find any more info on here about STEEL.

MakeMineA10mm
08-17-2010, 16:33
Did you look through the entire Alliant Sticky-thread above? I know a few of us have bought some to experiment with, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It has become one of those "one-day" projects for me. (One-day I'll get around to it...)

I'm very hyped about it, as it seems to be the right combination of geometry, burn rate, and density.

Meathead9
08-17-2010, 18:33
Did you look through the entire Alliant Sticky-thread above? I know a few of us have bought some to experiment with, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It has become one of those "one-day" projects for me. (One-day I'll get around to it...)

I'm very hyped about it, as it seems to be the right combination of geometry, burn rate, and density.

The "Alliant Data" sticky is where I got McNETT's data. I read the whole thread to see if there was any more data, but there isn't. That post was from a long time ago, so I was hoping someone had tried it since then. I guess I'll just have to buy me some STEEL to play with too. Gives me another excuse to go shoot, not that I need one.

Meathead9
08-20-2010, 09:19
I just picked up a pound of STEEL, and a case of CCI350's. Stay tuned...

MakeMineA10mm
08-20-2010, 12:38
Anxiously awaiting.... :supergrin:

Meathead9
08-25-2010, 17:30
Well, I loaded up some 200gr WFNGC's with STEEL, and took them out to chrono test today. I am pretty disappointed so far, but I will work up some heavier charges next time. I figured if 12.0gr gets 1380fps, I'd could start @ 10.5 and atleast get over 1200. No such luck... Velocities were all over the place too.

10.5gr STEEL/CCI350
Ave: 1094
ES: 133

11.0gr STEEL/CCI350
Ave: 1113
ES: 146

11.5gr STEEL/CCI350
Ave: 1065
ES: 119

MakeMineA10mm
08-25-2010, 21:41
Are you weighing or throwing the charges?

Also, what were the pressure signs / case head measurements, compared to DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore?

It's possible, that you're not to a high enough pressure yet to be getting consistent ignition, but we need answers to the above questions to know how to proceed.

Meathead9
08-25-2010, 22:15
Are you weighing or throwing the charges?

Also, what were the pressure signs / case head measurements, compared to DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore?

It's possible, that you're not to a high enough pressure yet to be getting consistent ignition, but we need answers to the above questions to know how to proceed.

I hand weigh every charge, so that the loads can be as consistent as possible. Primers look better than my 180gr UMC primers, and case head expansion is definitely less than my brass from DT's 200gr WFNGC load, so you're probably right. I have the components, so I'm still going to try to work up to 13.0gr, if pressure symptoms allow it. The reason I stayed so low, is when I loaded up the first case with 11.5gr, the case was pretty full. I'm sure it was slightly compressed at 11.5gr, so I wanted to err on the side of caution. STEEL is even slower than AA9, so maybe it needs to be somewhat compressed to ignite consistently? It looks like a larger version of blue dot, so I'm sure there's a lot of space between the powder discs.

MakeMineA10mm
08-26-2010, 20:25
Yes, but you also have to be wary of fracturing too many of the powder kernals. This CAN (not must, but it's too hard to predict to do it safely) cause the powder to burn faster at an unpredictable, or worse yet, inconsistent level, shot-to-shot.

Have you read how to measure case head expansion to compare pressures? I notice you didn't mention that at all. That, combined with a chronograph are the best means of comparing pressures. Definitely worth investing $30 in Ken Waters' Pet Loads from Wolfe Publishing.

Be very, VERY careful compressing the load. If you feel kernals crunching as you seat and crimp, you probably are going too far.

Meathead9
08-26-2010, 21:06
Yes, but you also have to be wary of fracturing too many of the powder kernals. This CAN (not must, but it's too hard to predict to do it safely) cause the powder to burn faster at an unpredictable, or worse yet, inconsistent level, shot-to-shot.

Have you read how to measure case head expansion to compare pressures? I notice you didn't mention that at all. That, combined with a chronograph are the best means of comparing pressures. Definitely worth investing $30 in Ken Waters' Pet Loads from Wolfe Publishing.

Be very, VERY careful compressing the load. If you feel kernals crunching as you seat and crimp, you probably are going too far.

I don't have Ken Waters' book yet, but it's on the way now. What I've been doing, is running the brass through my caliper, from the case mouth to the case head, and recording the most expanded area. The brass from DT's 200gr WFNGC load measure from .4280-.4285. The brass from my Steel loads so far stop at .4250. The brass from my 8.4gr Longshot/CCI350 loads are @ .4270-.4280. It probably wasn't the best idea to learn how to reload, starting with the 10mm & 9x25 Dillon, but I'm learning fast and being fairly careful.

Meathead9
08-30-2010, 21:31
I loaded up 5rds each @ 12.0gr & 12.2gr, but I am not feeling so great about going any higher just yet. I'm really concerned about how compressed this load would be if I went to 13.0gr. I didn't feel or hear any of the kernels cracking like MMA10mm described with any of the loads so far, and it was dead silent when I seated them. Here's a picture of the charged cases with the 200gr WFNGC's next to them. From left to right: 12.0gr, 12.5gr, 13.0gr...

What do you guys think?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/SteelLoads.jpg

MakeMineA10mm
08-31-2010, 20:05
The middle one looks less-charged than the ones on either side of it. You may have a "powder settling" issue. Did you throw the charges right from the powder measure into the cases?

For these kinds of charges, you need to trickle the powder into the case through a drop tube, like the black powder shooters do.

Meathead9
08-31-2010, 22:16
The middle one looks less-charged than the ones on either side of it. You may have a "powder settling" issue. Did you throw the charges right from the powder measure into the cases?

For these kinds of charges, you need to trickle the powder into the case through a drop tube, like the black powder shooters do.

It must be the picture. These are hand weighed, trickled into the pan charges. The one on the left(12.0gr), you can't even see the powder. The middle case (12.5gr) is a little below the top, and the 13.0gr charge on the right is almost filled to the brim. I pour the charges slowly from the pan through the funnel. Then I tap the case to see if it settles. It hasn't made a noticeable difference, but I'll look into what you recommended.