Best video compression program? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best video compression program?

Drjones
08-16-2010, 23:22
I have an NAS and just got an HD Media Player to stream all the stuff I have stored on my NAS to my TV.

I've started copying my DVDs (DVDs that I legally purchased & own - no crap please) to store them on my NAS to access them more easily.

The total file size is between 4-7GB.

I've seen some of the movies downloaded off the internet that claim to be & sure look to be DVD rips, yet they are under 1GB - what I want to know is what program are these guys using to compress their videos yet retain pretty good quality?

Thanks!

JimmyN
08-17-2010, 05:17
If you want to maintain them in a DVD format then DVD Shrink would be a good program, and it's free. You can choose 'Reauthor' and then use the compression level slider bar to compress the files down, it will re-encode them at the new compression level and you can save them to a folder on the NAS, or burn a DVD. It can be used to compress a dual layer DVD down so it will usually fit on a single layer.

But you shouldn't have to compress them. My DVD's play fine from the NAS, I wouldn't want to compress them any more as the quality will go down. To compress a DVD movie which is around 4gigs and already compressed, down to only 1gig, obviously some of the quality has to be left behind. Playing a DVD file over the LAN only requires about 8 megabits of bandwidth.

It might look OK in media player or something similar with only a 320px image, but if you play the double compressed files on a TV the loss in quality will be noticeable. I think most of the movies and videos on the net are done in Flash to increase compression levels, which would give you better quality with a smaller file.

If you are just wanting to save disk space on the NAS, you can use DVD Shrink to only copy the movie to the NAS without all the extra features, etc. That's the method I use since you can get at least 30~40% more movies on the drive if you leave out all the extra stuff. If I want to see the special features, director commentary, trailers, etc, then I go get the DVD out of the rack and play that.

bobandshawn
08-17-2010, 09:06
Sorenson Squeeze. converts/compresses anything to anything. I use it daily as a webmaster.

:cool:

~Bob

Drjones
08-17-2010, 18:41
Sorenson Squeeze. converts/compresses anything to anything. I use it daily as a webmaster.

:cool:

~Bob

Uh, thanks but how about a solution that doesn't cost $800? :shocked:

Drjones
08-17-2010, 18:43
Thanks Jimmy, but I'm watching a .avi file of a movie right now that is 699MB and I swear, nobody could tell it wasn't a DVD, watching it on my 37" 720P set.

I want to know how to get that level of compression!!!

I understand that something has to give when compressing files, but there are obviously some pretty good solutions out there.

I'm not concerned about bandwidth at all, just the finite storage capacity of my NAS.

Linux3
08-17-2010, 20:55
The suggestion of DVD Shrink, or K9Copy in the Linux world are good ones. True a DVD is 8.4 GB but the movie isn't.
Usually the maker of the DVD fluffs it out to make copying harder.

With the above tools you will just copy the movie and not the titles and the intro and the French / Spanish languages etc.
Usually you wind up with around 4 gigs for just the movie.

bobandshawn
08-18-2010, 08:16
Sorry DrJones - I have version 4 from years ago and it was nowhere near the current price...my bad.

:embarassed:

Drjones
08-18-2010, 08:54
Haha...no worries my friend. I thought you were just trying to show off.... ;)

boomhower
08-18-2010, 17:22
Handbrake. It's free and works very very well. I have used it convert movies and several TV seasons for storage and streaming on my server. It has a lot of options so it can be intimidating at first. But set-up correctly it can produce Blu Ray copies that can be streamed over wireless N but still looks like the original.

It also has a que functionality that lets you set up several encodes and run overnight.