Corn cob media... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Corn cob media...

wdphillips
08-17-2010, 11:44
I was in Walmart yesterday looking for some of the crushed walnut lizard or bird bedding that was talked about in an earlier thread. There was none to be found.

However, I did find some rather large bags of corn cob media distined for critter bedding. I think they were about $3/bag. Since I use cob media right now I looked at it closely. The size of the media was larger than the stuff I have for tumbling but... it may work.

Has anyone tried this stuff?

XDRoX
08-17-2010, 11:50
I exclusively use corn cob media. I buy mine from the gun store though. It takes a little longer to get the brass clean, but leaves no oily residue and dusts off nicely.

I am going to start using dryer sheets however. I was at a buddy's house the other day and he uses corn cob with dryer sheets and his media still looked brand new. After a few batches mine gets pretty dirty. He said the dryer sheets pick up the black dust:dunno:

So, I'll give it a try.

dsmw5142
08-17-2010, 12:56
I've never seen the lizard litter at Walmart. You may have to go to Petsmart to get it. That is where I get mine.

El_Ron1
08-17-2010, 13:03
I was in Walmart yesterday looking for some of the crushed walnut lizard or bird bedding that was talked about in an earlier thread. There was none to be found.

However, I did find some rather large bags of corn cob media distined for critter bedding. I think they were about $3/bag. Since I use cob media right now I looked at it closely. The size of the media was larger than the stuff I have for tumbling but... it may work.

Has anyone tried this stuff?
Make sure you've got some paper clips handy to dig out the crap from some cases and many of the primer pockets.

unclebob
08-17-2010, 13:16
You do not want too get the walnut media from Wal-mart. It is way too dusty.
Get the stuff from Pet Smart. It is lizard bedding.
I use walnut too clean the brass of the dirt etc. When I come back from the range. Then I use corncob media with a mixture of 50/50 mineral spirits and Nu-Finish car polish to make the cases shine.

PCJim
08-17-2010, 13:40
Be careful with the size of the cob. I've read many reports of people using a larger size and having major problems with it becomming stuck inside the cases, especially bottleneck cases.

As to walnut, I have not been able to find it in Walmart of late. I believe they discontinued carrying it.

AA#5
08-17-2010, 13:44
Small or medium sized corn cob + Berry's Brass Bright, tumble for 90 minutes = Brass that looks like new gold.

Boxerglocker
08-17-2010, 18:05
14/20 grit corncob is what I use. I buy it from Grainger Supply, with my employers discount that is extended to employees it's a little over $22 for a 40 pound bag.

I use Nu-finish polish cut with paint thinner and use cut-up used dryer sheets in ever load.

njl
08-17-2010, 18:21
The Wal-Mart stuff is also too big (unless you're tumbling completed cartridges). If you tumble 9mm brass in it, you'll be using a probe to pick corn cob out of some of the brass.

unclebob
08-17-2010, 18:31
The Wal-Mart stuff is also too big (unless you're tumbling completed cartridges). If you tumble 9mm brass in it, you'll be using a probe to pick corn cob out of some of the brass.

The only trouble I had with it was it was way too dusty. Sizer die or universal decapping die takes care of any stuck media. Unless the whole case is full of media.

njl
08-17-2010, 19:05
The only trouble I had with it was it was way too dusty. Sizer die or universal decapping die takes care of any stuck media. Unless the whole case is full of media.

You must have one heck of a universal decapping die if it can resolve cases in which multiple chunks of corn cob media are stuck where the powder and bullet should be. What's it got, a plasma torch tip?

TheGrimReaper
08-17-2010, 19:05
I like Walnut. I get if from Petco. It is cheaper.

unclebob
08-17-2010, 19:23
You must have one heck of a universal decapping die if it can resolve cases in which multiple chunks of corn cob media are stuck where the powder and bullet should be. What's it got, a plasma torch tip?

Read the last sentence of what I said. If it is just in the flash hole there is no problem.

Kwesi
08-17-2010, 20:44
14/20 grit corncob is what I use. I buy it from Grainger Supply, with my employers discount that is extended to employees it's a little over $22 for a 40 pound bag.

I use Nu-finish polish cut with paint thinner and use cut-up used dryer sheets in ever load.

For non-employees go to Drillspot. They sell Graingers 14/20 between $22-23 DELIVERED! Just got my first bag and it has Graingers name on it.

Boxerglocker
08-17-2010, 21:01
For non-employees go to Drillspot. They sell Graingers 14/20 between $22-23 DELIVERED! Just got my first bag and it has Graingers name on it.

The $22 includes WA state sales tax and it's a will call pick up at the local depot. Normal price is $24-25 plus tax...

Care to elaborate where "Drillspot" is? $22-23 delivered to where? I would be hard pressed to believe 40 pound of anything could be delivered for that price.

Kwesi
08-18-2010, 06:13
The $22 includes WA state sales tax and it's a will call pick up at the local depot. Normal price is $24-25 plus tax...

Care to elaborate where "Drillspot" is? $22-23 delivered to where? I would be hard pressed to believe 40 pound of anything could be delivered for that price.

Boxer: here ya go: http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

$21.16 delivered! I was just as surprised to find this at such a low price but it is great stuff.

rohanreginald
08-18-2010, 06:39
I thought after reading the title this was going to be a thread about some backwoods newspaper company, or CNN.

Boxerglocker
08-18-2010, 13:44
Boxer: here ya go: http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

$21.16 delivered! I was just as surprised to find this at such a low price but it is great stuff.

Thanks that's incredible! Worked out the math and it's the exact same price I pay without the sales tax.... I'll get it from there from now on....

herdingcats
08-23-2010, 23:38
Thanks that's incredible! Worked out the math and it's the exact same price I pay without the sales tax.... I'll get it from there from now on....

That price is sick! I've been looking for something that cheap. I'll put in an order right away!

Psychman
08-24-2010, 09:06

So this stuff works as good as the media you can get from Midway or other reloading related companies?

Boxerglocker
08-24-2010, 10:11
So this stuff works as good as the media you can get from Midway or other reloading related companies?

As good or better and much, much cheaper... I just throw in a capful of Nu-Finish car polish, which I pre-cut 1 to 2 with paint thinner in every load.
Toss in a cut up used dryer sheet and three hours later, nice clean shinny brass. :supergrin:

Psychman
08-24-2010, 10:19
Fantastic find Boxer. Thanks for the heads up.

Psychman
08-25-2010, 05:58
Ordered my 40 today!!

Kwesi
08-25-2010, 15:03

Yep looks and feels like the identical stuff that my buddy was purchasing online and what came with my tumbler.

chris in va
08-26-2010, 02:13
FWIW Harbor Freight stores sell a large box of walnut media for ~$20.

dustybywind
08-26-2010, 06:47
Try the local feed stores. 50lb bags of cage litter $25 . Its crushed walnut, add a cap of nu finish wax.

Boxerglocker
08-26-2010, 07:32
FWIW Harbor Freight stores sell a large box of walnut media for ~$20.

Try the local feed stores. 50lb bags of cage litter $25 . Its crushed walnut, add a cap of nu finish wax.

After trying both, I prefer the corn cob. It does a better job of polishing IMO.
I do keep some of the pet store walnut available for really dirty range pick-up brass for initial cleaning. The walnut is more aggressive fro this purpose.

herdingcats
09-16-2010, 18:17
I ordered a 40lb bag from drillspot.com yesterday with the UPS Ground "free" shipping. $21 and change total cost. It arrived today. Wow that's fast.

The media size is a little small, but it will very likely work. Thanks for the "drillspot" heads-up!!

themighty9mm
09-17-2010, 13:55
Wow ordered mine late last night around 11pm. It arrived today around 1. Apparently graingers is just up the hwy from me a bit

PCJim
09-17-2010, 14:35
My question is, How are you going to store 40 pounds of corn cob? That's a lifetime supply of the stuff. If not kept in an appropriate environment, it may mold and the bugs may find it tasty...

themighty9mm
09-17-2010, 14:38
well for now in the bag. When I open it plastic tubs and those moister removing packs (forget the name)

oldsoldier
09-17-2010, 16:44
That price is sick! I've been looking for something that cheap. I'll put in an order right away!

Agreed. I just ordered some too since I have to drive about 80 miles one way to the closest Graingers.

oldsoldier
09-17-2010, 16:46
My question is, How are you going to store 40 pounds of corn cob? That's a lifetime supply of the stuff. If not kept in an appropriate environment, it may mold and the bugs may find it tasty...

Plastic sealable and reusable large paint cans from Lowe's lined with a plastic bag as added protection. I've been storing corncob and walnut in them for years without a problem.

unclebob
09-18-2010, 09:55
I bought 40 or 50 lb of corncob media about 35 years ago. Still have about 10 gallons of it. I store it in a large screw on plastic buckets that I got from the pool boy. Have not had any bugs or has it spoiled.
There are a lot of business that use the large snap on type plastic buckets that you can get for free or a couple of dollars. Cheaper than going too Lowe’s or Home Depot. I got a bunch form a candy-making store. Cat litter buckets. Etc.

GioaJack
09-18-2010, 09:58
I bought 40 or 50 lb of corncob media about 35 years ago. Still have about 10 gallons of it. I store it in a large screw on plastic buckets that I got from the pool boy. Have not had any bugs or has it spoiled.
There are a lot of business that use the large snap on type plastic buckets that you can get for free or a couple of dollars. Cheaper than going too Lowe’s or Home Depot. I got a bunch form a candy-making store. Cat litter buckets. Etc.

What was your wife doing with the pool boy while you were stealing his buckets? :dunno:

Jack

shotgunred
09-18-2010, 10:10

Maybe it as because it rains here all winter long here and so my brass is muddy half the year. But I am going through well over 10 pounds a year.

unclebob
09-18-2010, 10:12
What was your wife doing with the pool boy while you were stealing his buckets? :dunno:

Jack

Never said it was my pool. Never had or never well have a pool. They are a pain in you know what. I just asked the pool boy if I could have some of the buckets. He said when he got some of them empty he would save some for me. No stealing. The person I worked for had a pool.

PCJim
09-18-2010, 10:58
Pool buckets.... Guess I'll have to start using more chlorine tablets each week.

GioaJack
09-18-2010, 11:03
Pool buckets.... Guess I'll have to start using more chlorine tablets each week.

Hey, lets keep it on topic. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
09-18-2010, 15:31

If you know someone that uses a pool service ask them if they would too ask there pool service guy if they would give them there large screw on lid buckets.

njl
09-18-2010, 19:01
Can you ever get the stench of chlorine out of those pool chemical buckets?

unclebob
09-18-2010, 19:07
Can you ever get the stench of chlorine out of those pool chemical buckets?

I filled the buckets with water and let them sit for a couple of days and repeated a couple of times, Then let them sit out in the sun for a couple of days. You may not get it 100% but it is bearable.

unclebob
09-18-2010, 19:10
Maybe it as because it rains here all winter long here and so my brass is muddy half the year. But I am going through well over 10 pounds a year.

Why put wet muddy brass in the tumbler. Either wash them off and let them dry, or wait until the dirt dries, then shake off the dirt before add the brass too the tumbler

BK63
09-18-2010, 19:33
After using corn cob for years and dealing with wiping off the dust with many different methods, I now use the walnut from petsmart. No dust, and I'll never go back to corn cob.

PCJim
09-18-2010, 19:34
Now I know why I get eaten up in the evenings when outside in the yard. Bob is breeding those flying blood suckers while purifying his pool buckets, letting the prevailing winds push them my way.

shotgunred
09-18-2010, 19:48
nice try but chlorine kills them.

PCJim
09-18-2010, 20:11
You would certainly think, but those buggers are not easy to kill. I used to run an decorative fountain outside the front door and kept a mostly used tablet in it to keep algae and 'skeeters from growing in it. Found out that the 'skeeters were living in it anyway. Go figure. It did keep the algae down though.

Back to the topic... I also ordered some of that cob and, after seeing how much 40 pounds worth actually is, for the life of me don't see how one could use that much in a lifetime. I run primarily walnut with paint thinner and will have to find a couple of storage buckets to keep the cob in.

I now figure that I jumped way too soon on impulse for a good deal. Guess I could use that angle on the better half, since they always use it on us. :cool:

herdingcats
10-21-2010, 09:22
Geez folks, do you get "on topic" much?

Back to topic, I just opened and used a part of my Graingers bag on some 45 brass. It worked great! I definitely recommend it.

Boxerglocker
10-21-2010, 09:42
Geez folks, do you get "on topic" much?

Back to topic, I just opened and used a part of my Graingers bag on some 45 brass. It worked great! I definitely recommend it.

:rofl: Your alias just reminded me of something regarding this corncob... my GF's mom... a real cat lover, uses that pet store bought ala natural corncob as kitty litter for her cats. I saw the bag on it lieing around and asked the price... $12.99 for a 10# bag. The next trip over there I brought her half the bag of the Grainer/Drillspot stuff to try out. It's exactly the same. Cat's pee and poop in it don't find a difference. She was so delightled about the price she bought 2 - 40# bags and told me to just help myself if I needed 5-10#'s now and then. :supergrin:

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 09:46
:rofl: Your alias just reminded me of something regarding this corncob... my GF's mom... a real cat lover, uses that pet store bought ala natural corncob as kitty litter for her cats. I saw the bag on it lieing around and asked the price... $12.99 for a 10# bag. The next trip over there I brought her half the bag of the Grainer/Drillspot stuff to try out. It's exactly the same. Cat's pee and poop in it don't find a difference. She was so delightled about the price she bought 2 - 40# bags and told me to just help myself if I needed 5-10#'s now and then. :supergrin:

Hmmmmm... a mother/daughter duo, the stuff fantasies are made of. Oops, off topic... sorry. :whistling:

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-21-2010, 10:01
Hmmmmm... a mother/daughter duo, the stuff fantasies are made of. Oops, off topic... sorry. :whistling:

Jack

:supergrin: I'm kinda sandwiched in the middle... GF in the early 30's, me early 40's and mom is early 50's... I have to admit if the GF ages as well as mom... I'll be happy.

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 10:11
Give her mother my number... if things work out there may be a new 1050 in it for ya. :whistling:

(OH, pictures are required... obviously.)

Jack

njl
10-21-2010, 10:17
Ugh...I was just reminded why I'd stopped using wax in the media. With the heat season nearly over, and a big bucket of dirty 9mm brass, I decided it was time to do some tumbling. I run the tumbler in the garage, so both for my own well being and that of the tumbler's motor, I don't like to run it when it's 100F or higher out there.

I filled the tumbler with a well used batch of HF crushed walnut and decided to add a bit of liquid turtle wax. I let that run for about half an hour before dumping the brass in. A couple hours later, I had reasonably clean brass, but maybe 10% of it has dried up clumps of walnut/wax stuck to the inside walls of the cases. I keep a Glock cleaning rod and nylon brush in the garage for such situations...but this really sucks, because now in addition to sorting by headstamp, I have look down into each casing to scan the walls for crud. I've never counted how much 9mm I can fit in the tumbler (a big Lyman 2500) but I think it's around 1000 rounds, perhaps more.

This batch of walnut has probably done at least 10k rounds of brass...so I guess it's probably time to dump it. If I rub it between my fingers, it lacks the gritty feel that the new walnut has.

frankt
10-21-2010, 11:38

Thanks for this info. I have used the Lizard Litter etc but this stuff is much cleaner. It came about two days after I ordered it and was marked graingers on the box.

Great stuff.

MoNsTeR
10-21-2010, 16:07

This is awesome! I've been putting off ordering from Grainger for months since picking it up would be a pain, this totally solves my problem.

Edit: ordered it yesterday, got it today! Incredible!