S&B 45 brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&B 45 brass

8th SPS USAF
08-17-2010, 17:44
Is S&B brass 45acp a pain to load? Do you have to open the primer pocket?

thanks

8th

IndyGunFreak
08-17-2010, 17:47
I've never used it.. but take a gander at the first post under the "Junk Brass" heading.. :)

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846395

OzzyOsbourne
08-17-2010, 18:02
.45 is probably the easiest caliber to load, and S&B makes it the hardest.

Nuf said.

unclebob
08-17-2010, 18:14
I donít know about the S&B 45 brass but some of the 9mm is steel looks like brass but it is steel. For me all of the S&B brass goes in the trash.

D. Manley
08-17-2010, 18:47
I don’t know about the S&B 45 brass but some of the 9mm is steel looks like brass but it is steel. For me all of the S&B brass goes in the trash.

Correct. In 9MM, S&B makes two versions of ammo...one with a true brass case and the other, brass coated steel. These can be weeded out quickly with a magnet. I believe the problem with steel cases is limited to 9MM. They market the two 9MM versions differently and I've never seen it in any other caliber and certainly not, in .45.

That aside, the S&B brass has almost no bevel on the primer pocket. It's this sharp "break" that causes the problem (normally in progressive presses) of difficult priming. In my experience, most pieces prime with no issue but occasionally, one will not line up precisely and will miss the center of the primer pocket catching on the "break". The brass can be easily remedied a couple of ways...just a few turns of a manual champfering tool or as I do, give 'em a little bump with the Dillon Super Swage. I trashed S&B a long time until I ran across someone on Brian Enos forums who had good things to say. Out of curiousity, I followed his advice and found he was correct. With that little prep on the primer pocket done you'll never find a more durable, consistent and loadable piece of brass. IMHO it's excellent brass and if you need it, prep it and use it. If not, dump it. I'm more than flush on 9MM brass or I'd take it in a heartbeat.

tjpet
08-17-2010, 18:50
Just use a bit more muscle, the primer will seat.

S&B .45ACP brass is good but the primer pockets are tight. I've got a few thousand that have easily been reloaded 15+ times and they're still going strong.

TheGrimReaper
08-17-2010, 19:00
I have and loaded 9mm S&B barss. I haven't had any problems....but that is me.

Bultx1215
08-17-2010, 20:56
I haven't had a single issue with 9mm or .45acp either. For me, it loads just as well as anything else.:dunno:

gwalchmai
08-17-2010, 21:07
I use it with no problem. I'll try easing the pockets on some once-fired I have.

Thanks, Manley!

chris in va
08-18-2010, 00:40
Stuff is uber strong, makes you a MAN. I should look like Ahnald with my Hand Press and S&B.

sicbstrd
08-18-2010, 16:02
the 9mm works ok for me but 45 is really really hard to resize so i just recycle it.