Which would you buy? Mac or Lenovo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy? Mac or Lenovo?

clipper100
08-18-2010, 10:51
My desktop went 'tango-uniform'.

Any suggestions between a:

Lenovo (Windows 7) ...

or a Mac Pro (I 7)?

Is the Mac a difficult transition for:

Word processor, email, browsing, photo storage...

IndyGunFreak
08-18-2010, 10:53
If that's all you use the machine for, I'd say the transition will probably be fairly smooth....

That's some pretty high end stuff for those minimal tasks you perform, but hey, it's your checkbook. :)

IGF

stooxie
08-18-2010, 19:51
Without any further indication of what you want the Windows folks will tell you to get the Lenovo and the Mac folks will tell you to get the Mac.

Do YOU have a preference?

I'll just throw out this little grenade: If you want to be done with viruses and similar garbage get a Mac. (and I DARE someone to quip that the lack of viruses for the Mac has anything to do with market share.)

:tongueout:

-Stooxie

Linux3
08-18-2010, 20:18
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad running, and I do mean running, Ubuntu 64 bit.
Best of all worlds.

Pierre!
08-18-2010, 20:42
Well, if there was a Mac tech on every corner, it would be good... Right now, Windows guys are a dime for 100 of em!

Anyway...

Get the lenovo with plenty of ram, install Sun/Oracle Virtual Box, then install the Linux of your choice on a virtual machine. Make sure you make a snapshot of it when you are completely done installing... and then only surf on your Linux box. When it has issues, and it will, then just restore from the snapshot.

Trust me, at some point the Linux system will start griping cause you haven't installed the mounting updates, and then the repositories may go corrupt on you... so just work with the snapshot.

Does that make sense???

Seriously do what ever floats your boat. If you have the $$$ to replace all your software, just jump ship and go with the Mac. If you aren't in the mood to learn how to run a computer all over again, don't feel like sitting through all the tutorials on the Apple.com site... stick with what you know!

Go for it man, ain't no down side!

HTH....

AmericanGunWorks
08-18-2010, 21:01
Mac, all the way. macpro is a bit overkill for what you describe. Mac mini or imac would be good.

Slug71
08-18-2010, 21:59
Lenovo all the way.
What a lot of mac people dont realize is that most Intel machines can actually run Mac OSX without the hefty price tag.
I dont use Windows but Windows 7 is not bad. Definitely one of their better versions.
If you need Office, look into OpenOffice.org. Its 100% compatible with MS Office but its free.
Then download Firefox or Chrome web browser. Or even Opera. IE is the most unsafe browser.

Ideally i'd install Ubuntu. It comes with OpenOffice and Firefox and a good email client. You can also easily install GIMP which is like Photoshop(if you need it) for Linux. All free of course.

stooxie
08-19-2010, 04:56
Speaking completely objectively, I don't get all this "Oh, just run Linux" stuff.
Linux is for those who don't mind spending time tinkering with the OS, and at very technical levels. The install may be one-button but who can honestly say that everything after that (drivers, printers, networking, wireless, graphics, peripherals, software installs, updates, patching, etc) has not required ANY shell level tinkering. :upeyes:

That's like saying to someone who asks "Ford or Honda", "Oh, just buy one of those cool Shelby Cobra kits. Should only take 6 months to build."

Or like saying to someone who just wants a simple revolver for home protection that he should really build her own AR.

Makes no sense to me. :dunno:

-Stooxie

pascal
08-19-2010, 05:19
Not to put a damper on the choices, I would just like people to read the following News article about Chinese workers committing suicide due to working conditions at Chinese Plant that manufactures Apple products as well as other electronic devices for the US and worldwide companies.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-02/foxconn-workers-in-china-say-meaningless-life-monotony-spark-suicides.html

Is this the cost of cheap technology?
pascal

stooxie
08-19-2010, 05:47
Not to put a damper on the choices, I would just like people to read the following News article about Chinese workers committing suicide due to working conditions at Chinese Plant that manufactures Apple products as well as other electronic devices for the US and worldwide companies.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-02/foxconn-workers-in-china-say-meaningless-life-monotony-spark-suicides.html

Is this the cost of cheap technology?
pascal

Unfortunately this is going to be true of anything made/built overseas. Foolish to think Apple is any more at fault than anyone else (like the Dell box that costs $499, $100 of which goes to Intel and $60 of which goes to Microsoft).

The amazing thing is that robots are cheaper on the line in America. In China, etc, human labor is so cheap that they are cheaper than robots.

-Stooxie

pascal
08-19-2010, 07:35
From what I've read Apple has a clause about workers conditions, which seemingly is not enforced. In one month 10 workers leapt out of the Factory to their deaths. The company's solution was to put nets around the building. This is totally unsatisfactory of any company or any company that uses parts from them. China is poised to overtake Japan and become the second largest economy in the world. We are next in their sights. The American and world wide people should take notice and take appropriate actions to sanction Chinese products, due to there work practices and pollution.
IMHO.

JK-linux
08-19-2010, 08:03

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2010, 08:50
Speaking completely objectively, I don't get all this "Oh, just run Linux" stuff.
Linux is for those who don't mind spending time tinkering with the OS, and at very technical levels. The install may be one-button but who can honestly say that everything after that (drivers, printers, networking, wireless, graphics, peripherals, software installs, updates, patching, etc) has not required ANY shell level tinkering. :upeyes:

That's like saying to someone who asks "Ford or Honda", "Oh, just buy one of those cool Shelby Cobra kits. Should only take 6 months to build."

Or like saying to someone who just wants a simple revolver for home protection that he should really build her own AR.

-Stooxie

It makes no sense to you, because you're misinformed.

I have been using Linux for about 4-5yrs.. usually Debian or Ubuntu, but occasionally others. I've very very rarely had to install a driver, etc. Usually I boot the Live CD, and everything just works. Why is this? Because I research my hardware before I buy it. You wouldn't just run out and buy something for Windows XP, when you know it only supports Vista and 7. I probably open a terminal about as often as a Windows user opens a DOS window. Actually, about the only time I open a terminal, is when giving instructions to people online, simply because I can give them cut/paste instructions, as opposed to "click here and here". Everything else, I use GUI tools.

I'd be willing to bet my Linux systems, are updated w/ patches, etc.. at about the same rate as your average Windows box.

Is it for everybody? No... it does take a certain person who is willing to use forums, etc.. to learn, as opposed to picking up a phone and dialing some Indian named Steve.

IGF

Slug71
08-19-2010, 09:21

-Stooxie

I disagree completely!
I recently did some installs and had to do absolutely no tinkering with getting networking(wireless) going.
Installing a printer is probably easier on Linux than it is on Windows these days.
Software updates and system updates are done just like doing regular updates. You dont need to go in and do software updates separately or from a different location. They just come in as a regular update.
All the software you could ever need are just a click away available through the repositories.

In short, Linux is A LOT different from what it was even 5 years ago. Today it can easily replace a Windows install. 90% of any tinkering that is done now is for personal preference like customizing.

stooxie
08-19-2010, 10:31
It makes no sense to you, because you're misinformed.

I have been using Linux for about 4-5yrs.. usually Debian or Ubuntu, but occasionally others. I've very very rarely had to install a driver, etc. Usually I boot the Live CD, and everything just works. Why is this? Because I research my hardware before I buy it. You wouldn't just run out and buy something for Windows XP, when you know it only supports Vista and 7. I probably open a terminal about as often as a Windows user opens a DOS window. Actually, about the only time I open a terminal, is when giving instructions to people online, simply because I can give them cut/paste instructions, as opposed to "click here and here". Everything else, I use GUI tools.

I'd be willing to bet my Linux systems, are updated w/ patches, etc.. at about the same rate as your average Windows box.

Is it for everybody? No... it does take a certain person who is willing to use forums, etc.. to learn, as opposed to picking up a phone and dialing some Indian named Steve.

IGF

I dunno, man, I am willing to believe it's gotten a lot better but some of what you said confirms my position that it takes someone willing to do more tinkering than the average person.

-Stooxie

JK-linux
08-19-2010, 10:53

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2010, 10:57
I dunno, man, I am willing to believe it's gotten a lot better but some of what you said confirms my position that it takes someone willing to do more tinkering than the average person.

-Stooxie

No, it doesn't. You're just hearing what you want to hear. Do you just run out and buy hardware w/o researching it? Software? If you do, you're on borrowed time, eventually you will get burned, if you haven't already.

A vast majority of Windows users, also solve problems by searching forums.... this is really no different than Linux, other than if you can't find an answer in a forum, you can pick up the phone and pay for phone support.

IGF

stooxie
08-19-2010, 11:54
No, it doesn't. You're just hearing what you want to hear. Do you just run out and buy hardware w/o researching it? Software? If you do, you're on borrowed time, eventually you will get burned, if you haven't already.

Actually I don't have to research my hardware to make sure it works with my OS because I HAVE A MAC! Remember that little tag line, "it just works"? Ok.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

-Stooxie

IndyGunFreak
08-19-2010, 13:04
Actually I don't have to research my hardware to make sure it works with my OS because I HAVE A MAC! Remember that little tag line, "it just works"? Ok.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

-Stooxie

So if you're buying a new printer, or video card, or something else, you don't check to make sure it has Mac drivers? Do you buy software w/o checking if it's Mac compatible?

clipper100
08-19-2010, 13:07
Anyhow, since Linux has nothing to do with the OP's question... the switch from Windows to OSX (or from OSX to Windows) is pretty simple. Left click to select and right click for a menu, File > Save or Save as, etc... all basically the same at this point.

Thank you....

That is the answer I am looking for.

As I have to spend that IRA $$$... I am not looking at cost.

I have the Apple I-phone ... and I am impressed.

Maybe the Mac is the way.

(I'll lite a candle for the suicide victims...)

stooxie
08-19-2010, 15:03
So if you're buying a new printer, or video card, or something else, you don't check to make sure it has Mac drivers? Do you buy software w/o checking if it's Mac compatible?

For software, all I have to do is buy the Mac version. (Is there always a Linux version of everything?)

For printers, as long as it's a network printer I'm fine. That goes back to 1991.

For peripherals, sure, but to me that's a fringe case. Your average joe doesn't add a video card.

-Stooxie

Drjones
08-19-2010, 16:18
Without any further indication of what you want the Windows folks will tell you to get the Lenovo and the Mac folks will tell you to get the Mac.

I'll just throw out this little grenade: If you want to be done with viruses and similar garbage get a Mac. (and I DARE someone to quip that the lack of viruses for the Mac has anything to do with market share.)

-Stooxie

Um, I'll take that dare...first, it is true, next, if you peruse any of the major tech news sites, you'll see quite a few articles of late that cite apple as producing the LEAST secure software out there right now.

To the OP, if you want to spend 5x the money for significantly LESS memory, processing power, HD space, etc. go with the Mac.

If you want a machine that will actually be compatible with 97% of the civilized world and won't require a second mortgage on your home, get the Lenovo.

I've sold several Lenovo laptops to clients and am so impressed with them that I just got my girlfriend one for her birthday.

It has a dual-core Intel processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and was $450. A Mac with those specs will cost you at least $1,250 - just checked on Apple's site.

stooxie
08-19-2010, 18:20
Um, I'll take that dare...first, it is true, next, if you peruse any of the major tech news sites, you'll see quite a few articles of late that cite apple as producing the LEAST secure software out there right now.

Come now, zero facts related to what I said. ActiveX, auto-running VBScript, MBRs versus Unix? Get real. The best anyone has been able to do on any Unix is a trojan horse which requires a user to actually make it happen.

If you want a machine that will actually be compatible with 97% of the civilized world and won't require a second mortgage on your home, get the Lenovo.

:shocked: Is that where all my money went?!!! Dang it, I knew $250,000 was too much to spend on my laptop!!

It has a dual-core Intel processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and was $450. A Mac with those specs will cost you at least $1,250 - just checked on Apple's site.

Yawn, as always, apples and oranges. I just went to Lenovo's site and configured a ThinkPad Edge the same as the 13" MacBook you saw. $1,039.

I guess I better call my mortgage broker.

-Stooxie

Linux3
08-19-2010, 22:01
A nice Dell with Ubuntu pre installed. Why it's almost like Windows.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwzl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

podwich
08-19-2010, 22:39

-Stooxie

Dang, all these horrible Windows viruses are killing me! The last one I had was....um, wait....2003. And that was when my friend downloaded and installed some crap he found. This virus stuff is way overblown. Install the updates and don't do stupid stuff. You'll be fine--just like you'd do the same with a Mac.

To the OP- buy based on which OS you like better. Both are good hardware. I like Windows and just bought a new Lenovo T510 with a Core i7, Blu-ray drive, and a 1920x1080 LCD. :)

datnvan
08-20-2010, 00:20
considering all macs run PC components, the real question comes down to the operating system. make your choice there. a similarly spec'd PC would still cost hundreds less than a mac, but you get the same components/performance. whereas PC companies use components from pretty much any maker, apple uses a smaller list of component makers so i guess the QC on the parts is better. dont be fooled, macs have their share of crashes and hardware issues, they just handle the customer service part of it much better.the transition from windows to mac OS isnt bad so i'm told. one main reason i havent switched is all of my games are on PC. i can always run windows on a mac but whats the point? at the end of the day, i just overpaid for a PC.