OAL of Hornady 230 gr FMJ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OAL of Hornady 230 gr FMJ

ColCol
08-18-2010, 16:44
Does anyone have the specs on what the OAL is for the Horndady 230 gr FMJ-RN? I had a good deal on a box of 100 and thought I'd try them with some HS-6 but don't have the Hornady manual. I thought I had some WWB to measure as a reference but forgot I shot that up last week.

In the Speer manual, the OAL for their comparable bullet is 1.260" but, I'm sure there's a difference in the ogive and bearing surface of the two manufacturers.

Boxerglocker
08-18-2010, 17:18
Depends on the gun, powder and performance you want... start with what your manual or the powder manufacturers online resource say and load long as you can, with your guns mags. Then work your way up from minimum powder charge.

Personally I load my .45 ACP to 1.2 OAL and work up the powders from mid-range in the manual recommended range, then chrono and confirm accuracy needs.

ColCol
08-18-2010, 17:36
I have three .45's and need a standard OAL so they'll work in all three. Since they are Hornady bullets and I have no Hornady manual, I thought just seat them to the length factory ammo is seated but unfortunately, I don't have any available. I think some WWB would be cheaper than a manual so, perhaps I'll just pick some up tomorrow. I don't think Hornady has any info online.

n2extrm
08-18-2010, 17:51
Check your PM's

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 18:08
Elijah:

Just load them to a length that functions through all of your mags without hitting the lands in any of your guns. (Usually loading so long that they hit the lands is never a problem but it only takes a second to check.)

Don't get hung up on OAL, except for being too short it really isn't that big of a deal.

Jack

FLSlim
08-18-2010, 18:38
Can't help with specifics on Hornady, but I tend to load long as long as there isn't a function issue. 230 FMJ and plated I've been loading at 1.25, regardless of mfg, although I've loaded shorter and suspect anything between 1.2 and max COAL would be fine in many if not most 45s. Check to verify barrel and magazine fit and load up some test rounds.

at_liberty
08-18-2010, 19:16
Hornady manual says 1.230 COL for 230 gr FMJ RN ENC

My purchased Hornady is SD and not 230 gr, or I would measure it for you. I suggest doing a round or two without powder or primer and see how they fit. Personally, I would put them in a gauge head first to make sure it wasn't a crimp problem at headspacing. Do it before bullet-first, or after if a round is doubtful on seating cleanly. Just a thought. What do I know?

ColCol
08-18-2010, 19:49
A length of 1.230-1.250" seems to be the norm. Manuals use to not have an OAL stated in them so, I did it the old fashioned way as some have recommended. I loaded ten to 1.230" and checked for functioning in a couple of them and crimp was ok and feeds fine by hand cycling. All mags appear to handle that length fine and when dropped into different barrels, it's flush or slightly below.

BTW-Thanks to n2extrm and at_liberty for that Hornady info. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a manual from them as I use to have 3-4 lying around anyway but, they're all old. My only new manual is the Speer.

Zombie Steve
08-18-2010, 22:02
Like Jack said, darn near anything will work. For 230 ball, I tend to use 1.260. feeds in all my .45's.

Sometimes a longer OAL feeds better. Keep in mind shorter OAL with like charges = higher pressures. Keep that in mind when looking at data.

.45 acp is such a low pressure round I never worry too much about ogive or bearing surface unless comparing fmj data and trying to do a hp load...

rg1
08-18-2010, 22:51
Older Hornady data calls for 1.250" for the 230 FMJ. That's with bullet number 4517. With Hornady's 230 FMJ-RN-ENC bullet number 45177 it's listed at an overall length of 1.230". Depends on the bullet number you have.

freakshow10mm
08-18-2010, 23:06
I load all RN to 1.250 and TC to 1.225. Worked for many tens of thousands of rounds.

ColCol
08-19-2010, 16:58
From what I've been able to glean it seems any manufacturer's data can run all the way up to 1.275. I think sierra's is that length or within a few thousands of it.

The shortest .45 bullet I ever loaded was the 200 gr Speer Flying Ashtray. I still have some factory ammo in this bullet and they measure at 1.155". It's no secret that's my all time favorite bullet. I hate it's lifespan is over.