Self Defense ammo choice for 340 PD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense ammo choice for 340 PD

Glockbuster
08-18-2010, 18:35
Hello Mas, I want to first take the oportunity to thank you for the great books "In the gravest extreme" and "Stressfire", which I read many years ago and have served me well.

Now my question, I have carried Winchester Supreme SXT .38 spl 130 gr.+P in my 340 PD backup gun for some time now. I recently came across a box of Federal 125 gr. Nyclads and I wanted to ask you if I should substitute. Both ammos are very rare here and a luxury to have. In fact, American made ammo is hard to come by altogether.

Mas Ayoob
08-19-2010, 06:43
Glad the books worked for ya. :supergrin:

The 125 grain "Chief Special" Nyclad load of the old days worked very well. The new iteration SHOULD work well also, but they appear to have changed the bullet shape, which makes it a new product. The ammo shortage has been such that the new version hasn't earned any field experience yet that I'm aware of.

You might want to look at the Speer Gold Dot load (135 grain +P) that Ernest Durham and his team at Speer developed expressly for NYPD. It got lots of action on the NY streets and cops there were very happy with its performance. Chicago cops thought so much of it that they've replaced their own "Chicago load" with this new "NYPD load" for their officers using 2" .38s for backup and off-duty, I'm told. Recoil should be no more than what you're using now.

Best of luck,
Mas

Glockbuster
08-19-2010, 09:16
Thanks for the reply Mas. The Nyclads are the old style, still in the 50 round blue box from Federal, it says 38 SPECIAL (+P) 125 GRAIN NO. N38N. I am confident the person who sold it to me has stored it in a nice dry place over the years. I already test fired 5 rounds with no problem. The nose has a big wide hollow point. I am forced to choose between the SXT and NyClads for now because there is nothing else available. I donīt think this end use country will see any Gold Dots for who knows how long.