Handloader or Reloader? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handloader or Reloader?

marvin
08-18-2010, 18:56
i've always seen these as two differnt things. a Handloader does everything likes it's life or death. you know they weigh every case and powder charge, clean primer pockets, sort bullets, try every primer made looking for the one that gives tenth better group.

then the reloaders, they find a load that works and stop there.

i'll be the first to admit that for the most part i just fill the hopper, fill the primers, throw some brass in the loader and go to town. i only check the powder measure when i first get started, only chamber check the ammo when i have a large match coming up. i don't put the ammo in an ammo box, just throw it in to a coffee can.

so are you a reloader or a handloader.

Glockin26
08-18-2010, 18:59
Reloader trying to save money instead of shooting crappy factory loads.

Uncle Don
08-18-2010, 18:59
I'm a reloader on all my handgun and many rifle loads. Those rifle loads where accuracy is key, I batch load and do all those things you would consider a "hand loader" to do.

Daryl in Az
08-18-2010, 19:04
I've always sorta seen the terms as:

Reloader means someone who loads their own to save money.

Handloader means someone who loads their own to make better-than-factory ammo that suits their firearm and their needs better. Money savings is just an added bonus.

Daryl

tjpet
08-18-2010, 19:16
The terms are interchangeable. Neither conotates quantity or quality to me. That depends soley on the individual in question.

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 19:38
The terms are interchangeable. Neither conotates quantity or quality to me. That depends soley on the individual in question.

^ Bingo

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2010, 19:51
Handloader is someone who uses a hammer to reload his ammo.
Legloader is someone who a Lee Hand press to load bigger cases.
They are all reloaders.

Brucev
08-18-2010, 19:52
Reloader/Handloader... six of one... half a dozen of the other.

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 19:54
Handloader is someone who uses a hammer to reload his ammo.
Legloader is someone who a Lee Hand press to load bigger cases.
They are all reloaders.

Little Stevie tried to make a funny... FAIL

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2010, 20:01
Little Stevie tried to make a funny... FAIL

Jack

I didn't want to stray from the essence of this thread. I thought we were all just making crap up and I hate to be left out.

CitizenOfDreams
08-18-2010, 20:01
I'm definitely a reloader. Bought a press, made a box of ammo with different powder charges, picked one that felt best, and this is my recipe from now on. I may change to a different powder eventually though, getting tired of Unique's measuring like wet sand.

Bob2223
08-18-2010, 20:07
Jack has free government brass and also gets lead free so that makes him a freeloader !

:tongueout:

Bob

GioaJack
08-18-2010, 20:14
Jack has free government brass and also gets lead free so that makes him a freeloader !

Bob

Some of us are just smarter and innovative than others... and how much do you pay for your brass and lead again?

Think I'll have a scotch and roll in a few hundred pounds of .45 brass. :whistling:

(Bet it'd be more fun rollin' around with a woman. :crying:)

Jack

D. Manley
08-18-2010, 20:50

I guess I'm a "handloader" on those rare occasions when I use new brass....:supergrin:

BlayGlock
08-18-2010, 20:57
By that definition I am a reloader then. I find a load that works fine and just shoot it. Im not a bullseye shooter.

Zombie Steve
08-18-2010, 22:09
All right. I'll be the first to say handloader by your definition.

If I'm going to screw around with it, why not make it the best it can be? I don't spend time brewing beer so I can drink a crrrz laaat at the end of the day. Why should loading be any different?

Then again, I shoot more rifle than (I think) a lot of folks here...

:dunno:

marvin
08-18-2010, 22:56
i came up with this while talking with a buddy that go's to extreme's with his custom .308, he has used every trick he has ever heard of to get the most out of his gun. and i most say that it scary accurate(most of his groups start with .2 or .3)

but i'm an IPSC shooter who it more interested in reliablity and cost. when i first started reloading .40 i used a lot of Vit 340. then my borther gave me 16 pounds of green dot, well it was free so i started using it. then i found out that i could go to the Star bullet company and get their 2nd bullets for 40 to 45 per thousand. they closed a few years ago and it's done more to hurt the amount that i shot than any other thing.

i'm sure that there are loads that are more accurate but over all this load works pretty darn good. i did switch to universal clay when i got a good deal but when that ran out i went back to GD

marvin
08-18-2010, 23:03
All right. I'll be the first to say handloader by your definition.

If I'm going to screw around with it, why not make it the best it can be? I don't spend time brewing beer so I can drink a crrrz laaat at the end of the day. Why should loading be any different?

Then again, I shoot more rifle than (I think) a lot of folks here...

this is the one area that might change me. i load a lot of .223 with 55 grain fmj's, groups run from 1.5 to 2.5. but i got some 69 smk and came up with a load that worked better than i thought it would, so i tried to get better groups by sorting the brass and triming. cut the groups some but not as much as i hoped.

deadhawg
08-19-2010, 00:00
I handload rifle rounds for best accuracy. I trim every case to the same length, weigh each charge, I use the best bullets money can buy, among other things.

I reload pistol rounds to save money. I never trim cases. I use a powder measure to drop charges. I buy plated or lead bullets in bulk. I've been using the same .45 acp recipe for years.

So does that make me a handreloader?

Zombie Steve
08-19-2010, 07:34
So does that make me a handreloader?

:supergrin:

Yeah, it depends on where you're drawing the line. I don't trim pistol brass, I do sometimes trim brass for revolvers to get a more consistent roll crimp. I don't clean primer pockets for any handgun and it probably doesn't make any difference when I do it for rifle rounds. I will uniform flash holes on .44 mag, because I shoot it through a lever gun and treat them like rifle rounds.

The lines are pretty blurry, so who knows?

Hoser
08-19-2010, 08:27
I go both ways...

DoctaGlockta
08-19-2010, 09:01

Bob

Well done Sir.

El_Ron1
08-19-2010, 09:56
I'ma hamhand loader like everybody else in the BKK.

gwalchmai
08-19-2010, 10:46
I handload my reloads and then reload my handloads.

PCJim
08-19-2010, 12:19
Using your definition, I'm both. For .243, and for initial load development with any caliber, I'd be a handloader. Thereafter, except for the .243 and occasional .223, I'm a reloader.

Like stated earlier, as far as I am concerned the terms are interchangable.

chris in va
08-19-2010, 12:28
I just thought reloading was to save money on bulk plinking ammo, and handloading was using new, unfired brass and specific rifle charges and bullet weights for more accuracy.

Hogpauls
08-19-2010, 13:00
I guess I was a handloader at first. I got a load to be as accurate as I'll ever be and fed reliably through a particular rifle or pistol. Now I reload with the same load and technique to be as cheap as possible.:supergrin:

vafish
08-19-2010, 13:15
i've always seen these as two differnt things. a Handloader does everything likes it's life or death. you know they weigh every case and powder charge, clean primer pockets, sort bullets, try every primer made looking for the one that gives tenth better group.

i'll be the first to admit that for the most part i just fill the hopper, fill the primers, throw some brass in the loader and go to town. i only check the powder measure when i first get started, only chamber check the ammo when i have a large match coming up. i don't put the ammo in an ammo box, just throw it in to a coffee can.

Well by that definition, for most handgun ammo I'm a reloader. I'm happy to blast away cheaply with my cast lead bullets in mixed cases.

But for hunting ammo including my .44 mags I'm a handloader.

fredj338
08-19-2010, 13:32

I disagree w/ your definition. IMO, a handloader developes his own loads from good data. Not just come here or get data off the web & go to 0.1gr under max & call it good. A handloader searches for the best load for their intended use. It may indeed mean weighing cases & trying diff bullets, but only if extreme precision is desired. If you only load for a Glock 9mm for blasting ammo @ 7yds, you would be a reloader IMO. If you tweek & try diff loads to get the best out of your 9mm ammo, then you might be a handloader.:dunno: It really just depends on your shooting/ammo needs.

GioaJack
08-19-2010, 16:51
Well done Sir.

Don't encourage him.

Jack

marvin
08-19-2010, 17:48
I disagree w/ your definition. IMO, a handloader developes his own loads from good data. Not just come here or get data off the web & go to 0.1gr under max & call it good. A handloader searches for the best load for their intended use. It may indeed mean weighing cases & trying diff bullets, but only if extreme precision is desired. If you only load for a Glock 9mm for blasting ammo @ 7yds, you would be a reloader IMO. If you tweek & try diff loads to get the best out of your 9mm ammo, then you might be a handloader.:dunno: It really just depends on your shooting/ammo needs.

sounds to me like were pretty much the same. when coming up with a load for ipsc i'm shooting for a velocity range. i decided that 180's had the right feel if i load them to 930 fps to 950. once i got that down i just load them and go. i talk to guys that worry about which load is most accurate, then have a fit when the load makes a 190 power factor.

you know the great thing about shooting a glock 24 is i'm never have to worry about max loads, i get what i'm looking for with starting loads or even less.

dudel
08-21-2010, 06:16

I agree that it depends on the individual; but I disagree that they are interchangeable. To be interchangeable; they would have to mean the same, and yet we have two words. Words are important; and we shouldn't dumb the world down by saying that two words mean the same because we are too lazy to make the distinction (not directed at you tjpet).

To me, and this may not capture the entire difference, a handloader is focused on accuracy over volume; while a reloader is focused on volume over accuracy. Both have different goals, arrived at by different means.

I suspect many here are reloaders (and there's nothing wrong with that). There are other forums that are mostly handloaders. While be both to similar things, each one clings to their methods and madness.

PBKing
08-21-2010, 06:39
Handloading or reloading is the process of loading firearm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm) cartridges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_(weaponry)) or shotgun shells by assembling the individual components (brass/shotshell, primer, powder, and bullet/shot), rather than purchasing completely-assembled, factory-loaded cartridges. Generally only Boxer-primed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_primer) cases (see internal ballistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_ballistics)) are reloaded.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-nonte_1_0-0>[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading#cite_note-nonte_1-0)</SUP>
Historically, handloading referred to the private manufacture of cartridges and shells using all newly-manufactured components, whereas reloading referred to the private manufacture of cartridges and shells using previously-fired cartridge brass and shells with new bullets, shot, primers, and powder. In modern usage, however, no distinction is made in these terms, and they are considered synonymous.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-nonte_1_0-1>[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading#cite_note-nonte_1-0)</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>Wikipedia</SUP>

Independents.....Look it up
Republicans........Make it up.

gwalchmai
08-21-2010, 06:40
I would say that reloaders are handloaders, but handloaders are not necessarily reloaders. Whether the brass has been fired defines the term.

dudel
08-21-2010, 07:36
Handloading or reloading is the process of loading firearm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm) cartridges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_(weaponry)) or shotgun shells by assembling the individual components (brass/shotshell, primer, powder, and bullet/shot), rather than purchasing completely-assembled, factory-loaded cartridges. Generally only Boxer-primed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_primer) cases (see internal ballistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_ballistics)) are reloaded.<SUP id=cite_ref-nonte_1_0-0 class=reference>[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading#cite_note-nonte_1-0)</SUP>
Historically, handloading referred to the private manufacture of cartridges and shells using all newly-manufactured components, whereas reloading referred to the private manufacture of cartridges and shells using previously-fired cartridge brass and shells with new bullets, shot, primers, and powder. In modern usage, however, no distinction is made in these terms, and they are considered synonymous.<SUP id=cite_ref-nonte_1_0-1 class=reference>[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading#cite_note-nonte_1-0)</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>Wikipedia</SUP>

Independents.....Look it up
Republicans........Make it up.

Heh! Even your quote differentiated between the two. Synonymous is similar; not necessarily identical.

There was a difference (note in the quote "In modern usage"), there is a difference, why dumb it down and remove the difference?

PBKing
08-21-2010, 08:13
Heh! Even your quote differentiated between the two. Synonymous is similar; not necessarily identical.

There was a difference (note in the quote "In modern usage"), there is a difference, why dumb it down and remove the difference?

OK...Now you're talking over my head. Could you dumb it down a little?

marvin
08-21-2010, 10:09
wow to think i would learn something new out of this thread.

but i went of my definition, not the dictionarys

norton
08-21-2010, 11:49
Fired 150 dillon made .45ACP rounds at the range this a.m.
Now they are in the tumbler getting cleaned up.
Later I will handload/reload/upload/download--------

Into ready to fire .45 again.

Zombie Steve
08-21-2010, 12:15
Bullet packer.

fredj338
08-21-2010, 14:20
Bullet packer.
Packer or repacker???????:rofl:
In deference to PB:
A reloader is a guy that buys a Lee press & gets a single load from the internet then does all his shooting at 7yds & post his fist size groups on GT. A handloader is none of the above, whether using new brass or used. Since I do vote Rep. I get to make it up.:faint:

PBKing
08-21-2010, 15:04
We dont need no stinkin dictionaries....Heck we is havin a book burnin' down here in Ga. Just like the good ole days.