PPU brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PPU brass?

Big Bore Fan
08-18-2010, 20:10
I bought a mixed bag of once fired brass from the local range and a few of the cases have PPU headstamp. I have neaver seen this headstamp before and there is nothing on the good vs. bad brass list. I whent ahead and loaded them and man, thoes things ran through my Lee dies like butter. Everything was veary smooth, even the primer seating was nice, unlike the Speer and S&B that where mixed in. Anyone ever had any PPU brass? I wish I could find some more of this stuff.

Is there a way to get the primers to seat easyer in Speer and S&B brass? It's not that big of a deal just thought I'd ask.

jbrown13
08-18-2010, 20:17
Check post #5 of this thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254445 for the answer on the S&B brass. I've tried this with my chamfering tool and it works well with the 9mm also.

D. Manley
08-18-2010, 20:47
I bought a mixed bag of once fired brass from the local range and a few of the cases have PPU headstamp. I have neaver seen this headstamp before and there is nothing on the good vs. bad brass list. I whent ahead and loaded them and man, thoes things ran through my Lee dies like butter. Everything was veary smooth, even the primer seating was nice, unlike the Speer and S&B that where mixed in. Anyone ever had any PPU brass? I wish I could find some more of this stuff.

Is there a way to get the primers to seat easyer in Speer and S&B brass? It's not that big of a deal just thought I'd ask.

PPU brass = "Privi Partizan (http://www.prvipartizan.com/company.php)". Most of it around my parts come from the private label ammo sold by Academy under the "Monarch" brand. Occasionally you see some with the cyrllic marking, "NNY" which as I understand, is the same brass. I load it and shoot it in 9MM but its not one of my favorites although I've had no issues. Most reports I've seen of folks having trouble with it was with the .45 brass which like .40 caliber, I've not used at all.

Street Cruiser
08-18-2010, 20:50
You have to remove the primer crimp in order to seat new primers in the pocket. Lee makes a chamfer/deburring tool that in effective and inexpensive.

D. Manley
08-18-2010, 20:52
You have to remove the primer crimp in order to seat new primers in the pocket. Lee makes a chamfer/deburring tool that in effective and inexpensive.

None of the PPU or S&B brass I've seen has had crimped primers.

Street Cruiser
08-18-2010, 22:15
None of the PPU or S&B brass I've seen has had crimped primers.

I was should have clarified... I've had issues with Speer brass and seating primers. I have had to take what appears to be a crimp out of Speer primer pockets. Sorry bout that.

Big Bore Fan
08-19-2010, 12:08
I got a Layman Lg. primer pocket deburing tool to try out. It did ok on the Speer brass but not on the S&B brass. Still real tight. I can get the primers in but alot of them are flatened, not sure if thats going to hurt anything or not. I have shot a few and didn't notice anything differant so I guess it's ok to use.

I see some people say to use a chamfer/deburing tool. I have the cheap Lee one that looks like a cone and is used for the case mouth. Is that what some people use for primer pockets? If so I will try it on the S&B brass, for now on I'm calling it SoB brass.:whistling:

chris in va
08-19-2010, 12:33
No I think Lee makes a different tool for the pocket reamer.

at_liberty
08-19-2010, 12:49
I had to cull the PPU brass out of my .40 S&W and crush them for scrap. The rims were all oversized and would not go in my gauge. It was more than a few extractor dings. They were oversized. If they might have run in my gun (3 of them), I don't care. The gauge is go or not go with no middle ground. I am not into custom filing heads to salvage them and hoping the extractors will still work. BTW the primer pockets appear to be relieved. I believe this is once-fired brass but it is actually indoor range stuff, and who knows for sure.

bamacisa
08-19-2010, 15:01
I have used PPU cases and have had no problems.

dudel
08-20-2010, 17:52
PPU brass is one of the few .223 I cull out and toss. Even after full length resizing, it won't case guage reliably. I don't have that problem with any other brass. With other brass available, I didn't care to spend the time to suss out the problem.

A pity because factory .223 Privi Partizan can be had at a good price.

I don't recall that it had a crimped primer pocket. I do remember that they had red sealer on them.