RCBS bench priming vs RCBS hand priming tool [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS bench priming vs RCBS hand priming tool

LAP35
08-18-2010, 21:41
What are your thoughts on which is better/efficient, and why?

skankpile
08-18-2010, 21:49
on pistol rounds I use my dillon press, and on benchrest/rifle I use a hand press.

I usually do pistol rounds a couple hundred at a time, and the rifle stuff is usually around 25 per, mic'ed, weighed out to the .01 grain and checked for concentricity...

You can better feel the seat by hand and you can better judge the pockets so if you want waterproof pistol rounds I guess the handload would be helpful on used brass but I think its a waste of time for pistol.

Zombie Steve
08-18-2010, 21:54
Hand priming tool - you can feel it.

:thumbsup:

Yet to experience my first high primer / misfire.

rg1
08-18-2010, 23:05
For a few years I primed on my press. Bought the RCBS Bench Mounted Priming tool like this one:http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=457599 I have not used a hand priming tool and don't wish to even though a lot of people like them. The RCBS automatic priming tool has just the right amount of leverage for great feel. It feeds primers automatically from the primer tubes. Uses standard shellholders to hold cases. You can place primers one at a time to the primer punch cup. I've had the RCBS tool for many years and have primed many thousands of cases and I wouldn't use anything else, ever. Don't feel like squeezing my old hands hundreds of times at a sitting.

AA#5
08-18-2010, 23:48
Hand priming. But IMO, the Hornady tool is way better.

DoctaGlockta
08-19-2010, 05:58
I hand prime both pistol and rifle. Use a Lee hand primer. Works well. Inexpensive. I have two - one set up for small primers and the other for large.

G36_Me
08-19-2010, 06:00
I have 3 of the Lee hand held primers. Just wrote in black dry mark the caliber they are set up for so I don't have to switch them around. I bought my first based upon price, as an experiment. Again, now up to 3 of them.

I do wonder if the more expensive hand primers are better. I used to do all my loading on my RCBS single stage 'on the press', now do it all on hand loader.

unclebob
08-19-2010, 07:01
I have about 7 Lee hand priming tool that are about 40 + years old. I also have 2 of the newer Lee hand primers. Also have an RCBS and Hornady hand primers. As well as an RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool.
Now depending on how much you are planning on priming and how much you want too spend. All the above mentioned you can fell the primers being seated. The Lee is cheaper and you can buy two one large and one small. But for the operation of the hand primer I like the Hornady better. You use your fingers too squeeze not your thumb.
If you have a lot of brass too prime you cannot beat the RCBS Automatic Bench Tool.
If I had too pick between all of them, I would go with the RCBS Bench Tool.