32S&W Long [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 32S&W Long

RWBlue
08-18-2010, 23:02
Has anyone done any testing, seen any good personal protection factory loadings?

I have a small pile of lead round nose. It gets good pen, but.... I also have a few JHP rounds which a local reloading factory produced. I have not been able to test these.

rome2240sw
08-18-2010, 23:15
Has anyone done any testing, seen any good personal protection factory loadings?

I have a small pile of lead round nose. It gets good pen, but.... I also have a few JHP rounds which a local reloading factory produced. I have not been able to test these.

the only reasonably priced 32 s&w long i have used where made by remington and hornady. I used it in a 32 revolver. The remington had noticebly more kick. as far as balistic wise I cant help you.

Berto
08-19-2010, 01:28
I would treat the .32 S&W much like the .32acp and .380acp; Load for penetration and forget about expansion. Velocities will be too low to achieve any reliable expansion, and a bullet lightly constructed enough TO expand will not penetrate deep enough.

rome2240sw
08-19-2010, 15:08
I would treat the .32 S&W much like the .32acp and .380acp; Load for penetration and forget about expansion. Velocities will be too low to achieve any reliable expansion, and a bullet lightly constructed enough TO expand will not penetrate deep enough.

I agree with what he said. Your gonna need the most penetration you can get with so light of a round. so you may want to go heavy when deciding on which gr of .32 long to go with

RWBlue
08-20-2010, 19:36
the only reasonably priced 32 s&w long i have used where made by remington and hornady. I used it in a 32 revolver. The remington had noticebly more kick. as far as balistic wise I cant help you.

Well there are a couple of things I have decided over the years.
1. I don't really care if it is reasonably priced when it comes to personal protection ammo. If it is to outrageous I will load it myself.
2. I think anything less than premium 9mm JHP is too little for personal protection. This is not to say that since I have a nice small 32S&W that I wouldn't be willing to use it if that is all I had at hand.

So, I would just hoping that someone had tested some 32S&W Long loads.

Berto
08-20-2010, 21:03
You might consider going to brassfetcher.com and looking at the results he gets with the .32acp and .32 H&R Magnum.
The .32acp will put you in the neighborhood ballistically, and you might at least come away with an idea of what could be possible with handloads.
As it is, all the loads I've seen are lead solids that are typically heavier than the .32acp and run about 700fps.