Fiocchi .357 sig extrema xtp line [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi .357 sig extrema xtp line

detroitdiablo
08-19-2010, 09:12
Anyone have any results/feedback for this round? I saw a box of it and it claims 1400fps on the box with an xtp bullet. True/False? Anyone chrono this stuff or test it? I generally stay away from the fiocchi unless it's for target stuff but this round sounds interesting to me. Would appreciate any info on this round. Thanks.

BlutoBlutarsky
08-19-2010, 13:57
I've seen Chrono results in the 12's to low 1300's for that low. I believe Jeffrey Behr posted results in the 357SIG club forum.

jeffreybehr
08-19-2010, 14:40
Anyone have any results/feedback for this round? I saw a box of it and it claims 1400fps on the box with an xtp bullet. True/False? Anyone chrono this stuff or test it? I generally stay away from the fiocchi unless it's for target stuff but this round sounds interesting to me. Would appreciate any info on this round. Thanks.

The SEARCH function is your friend.

detroitdiablo
08-19-2010, 16:44
If your gonna be a jerk about a response you could at least put a link to the thread. Thanks

jeffreybehr
08-19-2010, 18:27
If your gonna be a jerk about a response you could at least put a link to the thread. Thanks

Perhaps if you have to do a little 'work', you'll remember to Search next time instead of starting a new thread.

And I'd have to do your Search to post a link for you.

unit1069
08-19-2010, 20:15

The 115-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP proved to be so accurate in my small CCW pistol with the 3" barrel I decided to buy the 124-grain Extrema in 9mm.

When the 124-grain Extrema became available in .357sig I bought some of those, although I haven't shot any yet. A couple of experienced handloaders say that the 124-grain XTP easily handles the .357sig velocities and is an excellent bullet.

If it's a bit slower than advertised I think I can live with that as long as the accuracy's there. I've used a lot of Fiocchi range ammo without any problems, and since Hornady XTP rounds are about double the price of Fiocchi XTP I think the 50-round boxes of the Extrema are a pretty good value.

detroitdiablo
08-20-2010, 08:34
Thanks for the info

thegriz18
08-20-2010, 10:38
No need to be an ass to the guy Jeffrey. Chill out. Cut him some slack. I search for stuff I know was there and can't find it. I hate it when people like you berate someone for not using the search function.

jeffreybehr
08-20-2010, 11:02
My my, lots of laziness and and enabling going on here.

1. I was NOT a jerk, I was quite polite in recommending the OP use the Search function.
2. Doing his research for him by posting a link would have been rather counter to my recommendation, huh!?!?!?
3. I'm not an ass, in fact I post LOTS of useful info on GT that others don't. How 'bout you, griz?
4. I don't need to 'chill out' and I won't 'cut him some slack'. It appears to me that YOU need to 'chill out', as you seem to be more emotional than anyone here.

And it appears that neither the OP nor unit1069 has yet to use that magical Search feature.

glock031
08-20-2010, 17:04
If everyone used the search feature there wouldn't be many post here. Some other people who are casually reading this forum might like to read the replies to threads like this even though the subject may not be important enough for us to do research about, might not have the time either. So why don't you let be it's not against forum rules to ask questions here......

greyeyezz
08-20-2010, 18:15
Search Fiocchi .357 sig/ TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club
results: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

unit1069
08-21-2010, 07:10
And it appears that neither the OP nor unit1069 has yet to use that magical Search feature.

The OP asked if anyone has experience with Fiocchi Extrema XTP; why would I need to conduct a Glock Talk search to give him my response?

Try decaf.

Glockbuster
08-21-2010, 09:19
It amazes me how easily things get heated up in here for meaningless reasons. We are all responsible gun owners right ? why don't we all start in here practicing some skills avoiding escalation of conflicts ?

Black Ice
08-21-2010, 13:04
If everyone used the search feature there wouldn't be many post here. Some other people who are casually reading this forum might like to read the replies to threads like this even though the subject may not be important enough for us to do research about, might not have the time either. So why don't you let be it's not against forum rules to ask questions here......

....:smoking:...

... +10 :wavey:

jeffreybehr
08-21-2010, 20:19
It amazes me how easily things get heated up in here for meaningless reasons. We are all responsible gun owners, right? Why don't we all start practicing some excalation-avoidance skills?

Good idea, ...buster.

Detriot, here...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229053
...is some info on that Fiocchi load.

You might look at the 357SIG forum...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
I've posted lots of perhaps-useful info there.

freakshow10mm
08-21-2010, 21:58
OK, gentlemen. Shake your dicks. Pissing match is over. Move along with your pride and ego. No need for that here.

Glockbuster
08-22-2010, 08:27
Thanks for the useful info Jeffrey!! (Just so happens I'm a 357 sig fan also.)

jeffreybehr
08-22-2010, 12:53
Thanks for the useful info Jeffrey!! (Just so happens I'm a 357 sig fan also.)

YW. As my signature text indicates, I'm again carrying my G32 after discovering I can't shoot my 20SF nearly as well as the 32 or the .45GAP 37.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2032/32w45barrelliteJP_15Aug2010_1280w.jpg

I've found the short-necked 357 to be a little fussier to reload, but thanx to a GTist whose name I don't remember, I now use a .40S&W die in addition to the 357 trio in my 4-hole Lee Turret Press. I've removed its decapping pin and I first full-length resize (WITHOUT using case lube), then go thru the 3 other dies normally, and then reresize the completed round in the .40 sizing die. (This requires 5 strokes, but I can use the exercise.)

Resizing this way has improved feeding reliability dramatically. I also turned the 357 sizing die down the maximum amount to resize as much of the neck as possible; that increased considerably the bullet tension. (I was NOT experiencing any bullet setback previously.)

English
08-25-2010, 11:05
YW. As my signature text indicates, I'm again carrying my G32 after discovering I can't shoot my 20SF nearly as well as the 32 or the .45GAP 37.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2032/32w45barrelliteJP_15Aug2010_1280w.jpg

I've found the short-necked 357 to be a little fussier to reload, but thanx to a GTist whose name I don't remember, I now use a .40S&W die in addition to the 357 trio in my 4-hole Lee Turret Press. I've removed its decapping pin and I first full-length resize (WITHOUT using any case lube), then go thru the 3 other dies normally, and then reresize the completed round in the .40 sizing die. This has improved feeding reliability dramatically. (This requires 5 strokes, but I can use the exercise.) I also turned the 357 sizing die down the maximum amount to resize as much of the neck as possible; that increased considerably the bullet tension. (I was NOT experiencing any bullet setback previously.)

Please excuse my presumption as I do not yet reload 357SIG though I intend to. Your description sounds as though your neck crimp slightly bulges the main body which you then size back to spec with a .40S&W full length die. If that is so, have you considered Lee's Factory crimp die? It is a collet die, so a longer stroke with reduced downwards force produces a higher crimping force. I have one but have not yet used it. If this works as well as reported, it should mean that you could reload with one cycle of the four stage press rather than two and still get good feeding.

English

jeffreybehr
08-25-2010, 11:49
Please excuse my presumption (1)
as I do not yet reload 357SIG though I intend to. Your description sounds as though your neck crimp slightly bulges the main body which you then size back to spec with a .40S&W full length die. (2)
If that is so, have you considered Lee's Factory crimp die? It is a collet die, so a longer stroke with reduced downwards force produces a higher crimping force. (3)
I have one but have not yet used it. If this works as well as reported, it should mean that you could reload with one cycle (4)
of the four-stage press rather than two and still get good feeding.
English

1. You're so polite, how could I not? :-)
2. Probably that's what's happening, and maybe only with cases that are a few-thousands longer than average.
3. No, I haven't. I just looked at the Lee crimp dies
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1282757587.642=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
and am still confused, as their explanations aren't very good IMO.
4. One detail--I've removed the auto-indexing rod from my press, so I don't have to rotate the turret any extra amount. IOW, that 4th die stays in the same position for the 5th cycle and the 1st cycle of the ram.

Good news on the reliability front--yesterday I shot dozens of the rounds so loaded, and 100% cycled absolutely perfectly, so maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead. :embarassed:

English
08-25-2010, 13:19
1. You're so polite, how could I not? :-)
2. Probably that's what's happening, and maybe only with cases that are a few-thousands longer than average.
3. No, I haven't. I just looked at the Lee crimp dies
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1282757587.642=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
and am still confused, as their explanations aren't very good IMO.
4. One detail--I've removed the auto-indexing rod from my press, so I don't have to rotate the turret any extra amount. IOW, that 4th die stays in the same position for the 5th cycle and the 1st cycle of the ram.

Good news on the reliability front--yesterday I shot dozens of the rounds so loaded, and 100% cycled absolutely perfectly, so maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead. :embarassed:

Yes, lee's explanation is virtually non existent. It is worth looking at realguns, http://www.realguns.com/archives/112.htm, for a better explanation and independent evaluation.

To explain as best as I can, with a parallel sided case the crimping die has an internally tapered tube. As it is moved down over the otherwise completed cartridge the tightening taper progressively squeezes the neck of the case against the bullet. This produces a permanent deformation of the case neck, until the cartridge is fired, which remains tight enough when the die is removed to hold the bullet firmly.

As the taper compresses the neck the frictional drag presses the cartridge case downwards with a tendency to buckle it. This tendency is reduced by the use of a gentle taper and a relatively long movement to get the needed compression.

With a short necked bottle necked cartridge like the 357 SIG there is a severe restiction on the length of possible movement and so there is a double risk. Either the crimp is not tight enough or the downward pressure buckles the case, or both. The collet crimp avoids this by excerting the crimping forrce without a downward force on the case.

The collet die achieves this at the cost of more parts and a little more money. Inside the main body there is first a spacer. This centers the cartridge and positions the collet at the right height. The collet sits on top of that and above and around that is the tapered tube. When the tube is forced downwards, it comresses the collet but the downwards force on the collet is taken by the spacer and not by the cartridge case. The result is that the collet compresses a narrow section of the case neck into a shallow grove that it swages into the bullet, but it does this without any downward pressure on case or bullet.

The result is a strong and consistent crimp which does not deform the body of the case. Not only does this crimp resist setback, it resists the initial gas pressure at firing in a consistent way that reduces velocity variation and hence improves accuracy.

Hope this helps!

English