.25 auto ball vs .25 auto HP ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .25 auto ball vs .25 auto HP ammo

rome2240sw
08-19-2010, 15:20
I own a couple .25 caliber pocket pistols and currently their all loaded with magtech ball ammo simply because i believe ball ammo is whats gonna get you the penetration with light rounds. That being said i have seen few stocks of .25 caliber hollow points and i saw a few boxes on the HP ammo from hornady. so it made me wonder.

would hollow point ammo in a small caliber like the 25 gonna be critical in a SD situation?

would HPs have anything over the 25 cal ball ammo?:dunno:

Brucev
08-19-2010, 15:24
It would take a ballistic miracle for a .25ACP HP to do more than simply punch through like a FMJ.

Warp
08-19-2010, 15:28
I would stick with whatever gets the most penetration, which won't be a HP.

My personal rule of thumb says to use FMJ for anything smaller/weaker than .380.

.38spl and 9x18 (aka 9mm makarov) or above get JHP.

.380 aka 9x17 is a tossup that depends on weapon and specific ammo selection.

For sure a .25 would get FMJ.

rome2240sw
08-19-2010, 17:03
I would stick with whatever gets the most penetration, which won't be a HP.

My personal rule of thumb says to use FMJ for anything smaller/weaker than .380.

kinda my rule of thumb as well... I was just wanting to know tho because i saw it and wanted to know if anybody found any .25HP ammo to be effective

but like i said above, my .25s are loaded with ball ammo from magtech and i got some fiocchi stuff that has lots of kick. pretty hot if you ask me

Glock19Fan
08-20-2010, 00:43
In my earlier days I carried a Raven .25ACP. Didnt have much money, but I was sticking to the first rule of a gunfight- Bring a Gun.

Anyway, I always carried it with FMJ. I actually NEVER had a jam from this pistol. And it would blow through a 2x4 fairly easy, so I had a little confidence in it.

I was at a gunshow where I spotted a little ziplock bag full of random .25ACP ammo. Next to it was a partial box of 35 grain Gold Dots. I took it all, especially the Gold Dots as I was curious how they would perform.

So I lined up a few jugs of water in a row and shot a Gold Dot into it. It stopped in the second jug, which led me to believe it had expanded. However, I was suprised to recover it to find absolutly no expansion.

Now, despite this being one bullet, from one gun, into a row of water jugs, I feel confident in saying they are a waste of money. First, and most importantly becuase of the penetration. There was no expansion and yet the bullet failed to exit the second jug. If it had expanded, I would have been suprised if it had exited the first jug. And second becuase you are paying around a buck a pop for something that performs worse then FMJ.

My advice is save your money and just use FMJs. And practice practice practice. And with the money you save, try and get a .32ACP or .380ACP.

rome2240sw
08-20-2010, 12:59
those are just my pocket pistols. Thats my glock 22 in the pic. I was just curious because 22LR HPs are effective and expand but then again thats coming out of a rifle and not a handgun...

Warp
08-20-2010, 13:10
those are just my pocket pistols. Thats my glock 22 in the pic. I was just curious because 22LR HPs are effective and expand but then again thats coming out of a rifle and not a handgun...

Effective on squirrels maybe. Not on people. Deadly? Absolutely. Effective for self defense? Not really.

Glock19Fan
08-20-2010, 16:01
Good point. Another reason it becuase the .22LR is not only a higher velocity round, but it also lacks a copper jacket. Becuase of this, some .22LRs will expand in fairly short barrels, depending on the medium. I have got expansion before from a 2 1/2 inch revolver before.

Reguardless, FMJ or round nose should always be carried in these calibers. You would be fairly suprised at how well they will penetrate. I believe I seen a suicide posted at SP.net where a man had shot himself in the head with a .22LR revolver. It was a through and through.