Bought something I probably could've lived without... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought something I probably could've lived without...

BurkGlocker
08-19-2010, 16:00
but I still bought them!!! :whistling: Picked up some 40 S&W Black Talons just for the heck of it. I bought a hundred Ranger SXT LEO a few weeks ago, the Black Talon in a brass case, but I wanted the real deal.

I went to the gun show last weekend in search of a sling for my AK and maybe a few mags for it as well. Dad ended up buying 10 mags and gave me a few of them, so that took care of the mag issue, but I swear, I couldnt find one sling for my AK, not one!

So as I was leaving, I saw them, sitting there plain as Jane, as they have been for the past five or six gun shows, begging me, 'Please buy us....' I whipped out the cash, and gave them black and silver beauties a new home. And a new home they have, residing clear in the back of the safe, safely out of view of the 'ol lady. Unfortunately, she knows how much they cost, and she wouldve rather of had that purse she was eye-balling instead of me getting ammunition... :tongueout:

Burk

fastbolt
08-19-2010, 16:48
You a casual ammo collector?

Aside from initially taking advantage of a local dealer being willing to pay top dollar for a lot of early Black Talon I had on hand many years ago, I've sometimes set aside a box of each of some of the different calibers in the BT offering just for nostalgia (along with other ammo I've carried) and burned up the rest for range ammo over the years.

BurkGlocker
08-19-2010, 21:23
Yes, you could say that... I used to carry them back in the day when they first started with the whole 'evil black bullet' concept, and ever since then I have been on the prowl for some more. The box I bought had an original sticker price of $14.95, but you all know that I spent more than that on them. I lost the ones I used to have in a really tough divorce, plus all of my firearms, which were sold off to fund it. I almost bought some in 357 Mag and 10mm, just to have. I wished I couldve talked the other guy down on his price, $60 a box, but he had every single caliber in the Black Talons, even rifle calibers. But of course, he wouldnt budge, and honestly, I dont blame him one bit. I have only shot three of the Ranger LEO SXTs, just to have some expanded bullets to compare with the other expanded fodder that I have on hand. The Ranger line has definately made it a long way since the 90's, thats for sure.

Burk

fastbolt
08-19-2010, 23:51
Then I'm glad you were able to find some to try and rebuild your former collection.

cadillacguns
08-20-2010, 07:33
Yep I just a few months ago, switched out 20 .40 BT in brass case with 20 Win PDX-1 in nikle casees. Cant bear to shoot up the old BT, yet when I tested some back in the day, not all would open, half would clog on test media and not open up.

fastbolt
08-20-2010, 10:18
Yep I just a few months ago, switched out 20 .40 BT in brass case with 20 Win PDX-1 in nikle casees. Cant bear to shoot up the old BT, yet when I tested some back in the day, not all would open, half would clog on test media and not open up.

They weren't exactly a great performer in the early gel testing done by the feds, either. Newer versions have been improved quite a bit over the years.

BurkGlocker
08-21-2010, 19:08

I shot one through 4 layers of denim the other day, and it didnt open up at all. It was out of a G27, and thinking that it may have better performed out of the G22. But I did recover the bullet, reload it again, shot it again into some water jugs, and it opened up just like it was supposed to. Mind you, it was the BT in the brass case. Just wished I had an original box for the BTs in the brass case as well, but beggars cant be chosers.

The PDX1's are a good choice, and I bought some of them in the white box, but not all of them will open up when confronted with denim though, leaving them to probably be used during the summer months if need be. The nicely packaged PDX1's did expand though, and very well I might add. Gotta love factory seconds. Until then, the G27 is stoked with 165 gr Ranger T's. At least I know that they will expand after going through heavy clothing.

Burk