Feeding the FMJ vs JHP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the FMJ vs JHP

steve4102
08-19-2010, 22:25
I've been shooting MG .40 180gr JHP without issues in my DW 10mm and CZ P06. I'm just about out of these bullets and I need to stock up. I was just going to order my same old JHP when it was recommended to me to get the FMJ instead as the FMJ have a reputation for better feeding in some semi-auto pistols.
Duno, I'm rather new to handgun loading so I'll ask you guys, In general, for reliability is the FMJ and better choice than the JHP in a 40 S&W /10MM or doesn't it matter.

Glockin26
08-19-2010, 22:59
If you haven't had any problems then why switch? Only reason i switched from MG JHP's to Xtreme copper plated is i get more bullets/dollar.

Boxerglocker
08-19-2010, 23:26
If you haven't had any problems then why switch? Only reason i switched from MG JHP's to Xtreme copper plated is i get more bullets/dollar.

You do realize however that in your switch you gave up what could be much more optimized accuracy in the MG JHP as opposed to the Xtreme FMJ.

May not mean much for you or me for that matter but may for others.

FLSlim
08-20-2010, 09:03
I'm with Glockin26, if you haven't had feed problems, why worry. I've never had a feed problem with either bullet type in my 40 or 10. There are other considerations that you might want to factor in when selecting bullet type, though, e.g., accuracy, cost, and lead exposure.

Bren
08-20-2010, 09:13
I've been shooting MG .40 180gr JHP without issues in my DW 10mm and CZ P06. I'm just about out of these bullets and I need to stock up. I was just going to order my same old JHP when it was recommended to me to get the FMJ instead as the FMJ have a reputation for better feeding in some semi-auto pistols.

I understand that was true well into the 1960s. Now? not so much.

Have you had a feeding problem? If not, why are you concerned?

PCJim
08-20-2010, 10:19
I'm with the others. If you are not experiencing any problems with the JHP, why change unless you want to save some $$$. It is a more versatile projectile than the FMJ, providing better SD as well as plinking capabilities.

That being said, the FMJ/Ball design should work in any pistol without problems. My understanding is that this was the original bullet profile that all pistols were designed for.

Glockin26
08-20-2010, 11:02
You do realize however that in your switch you gave up what could be much more optimized accuracy in the MG JHP as opposed to the Xtreme FMJ.

May not mean much for you or me for that matter but may for others.

Right now my groups at 10 yards are the size of a paper plate, I realize that the JHPs tend to be more accurate with more weight in the rear but i cant reach the full potential right now. My problem is my trigger pull. For right now i think Xtreme will be adequate in my shooting.

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 11:22
'IF' JHP's are more accurate than FMJ's, (I'm not convinced they are and then only if you are capable of putting 5 shot groups at 25 yards into 2 inches off hand), you're certainly not going to see any shrinkage of your paper plate size groups at 10 yards.

I certainly understand that this is not what you want to hear but the best thing you could do is buy a decent .22 cal revolver or semi and ten thousand rounds of ammo and learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

Practice sight picture, breath control and trigger control through slow, timed fire until you drop those groups to the size of a quarter at ten yards then increase your yardage out to 25 and ultimately 50 yards.

When you can do that go back to your centerfire and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to duplicate the same results. If you don't learn the fundamentals you'll never be more than the majority of shooters who make a lot of noise and throw lead downrange.

Jack

Glockin26
08-20-2010, 11:25
'IF' JHP's are more accurate than FMJ's, (I'm not convinced they are and then only if you are capable of putting 5 shot groups at 25 yards into 2 inches off hand), you're certainly not going to see any shrinkage of your paper plate size groups at 10 yards.

I certainly understand that this is not what you want to hear but the best thing you could do is buy a decent .22 cal revolver or semi and ten thousand rounds of ammo and learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

Practice sight picture, breath control and trigger control through slow, timed fire until you drop those groups to the size of a quarter at ten yards then increase your yardage out to 25 and ultimately 50 yards.

When you can do that go back to your centerfire and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to duplicate the same results. If you don't learn the fundamentals you'll never be more than the majority of shooters who make a lot of noise and throw lead downrange.

Jack

Funny you should say get a .22, I ordered an AA kit for the 27 to practice.

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 11:32
Funny you should say get a .22, I ordered an AA kit for the 27 to practice.

There ya go, excellent plan. Just concentrate with that for the majority of your shooting. (Change barrels just to take care of the 'fun factor' but use the .22 to learn.)

The trigger on the Glock will limit your potential accuracy but you'll still learn the basics and find that your shooting sessions become much more enjoyable. Good luck.

Jack

fredj338
08-20-2010, 11:38
As usual, Jack is wise in his thoughts. The accuarcy diff for blasting ammo will be negligible. In 99.9% of the cases, FMJ w/ be more reliable, but as noted, if JHP works in your gun, why change?

steve4102
08-20-2010, 14:41
. In 99.9% of the cases, FMJ w/ be more reliable, but as noted, if JHP works in your gun, why change?

I guess I have a habit of over thinking things, can't ever leave well enough alone.
Thanks for all the help, must appreciated.