Did I damage my scope? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did I damage my scope?

Jastone7373
08-20-2010, 12:40
GT---

Looking for a little advice here... I invested in some new equipment for deer season this year: a brand new Ruger M77 Hawkeye (30.06) and a brand new Leupold XV-I scope....

Well, naively, I thought I would try to mount the scope myself-- what could go wrong, right?? I used the rings supplied by Ruger.. and, well, I mounted the scope on there and really tightened down the scope rings. Now, i'm learning that over-tightening is a pretty common rookie mistake and can lead to damage to the scope....

My question is would anyone know the likelihood that I damaged the scope by over tightening the screws? I've read that they should be torqued to about 20 inch-pounds, max. Don't know what I torqued my to, but i'm sure it's much, much more than that.

Should I go buy a torque driver and try again-- or would the damage that could have occurred be irreversible?

Any suggestions? Makes me sick to think i may have just ruined a brand new $200 scope... :crying:

yellolab
08-20-2010, 12:51
I tighten the snot out of mine also.

If you are nervous, just take it off, and look at the scope tube; it is dented ? I doubt it.

Kevin

Jastone7373
08-20-2010, 13:16
I did check and noticed a few marks from the rings on the matte finish of hte scope--- but they rubbed off and the left the scope looking normal.

would it take visible damage (such as noticing an obvious dent or bend in the tube) to ruin the scope? Or could i have done something to damage the scope and not left a mark on the outside of the tube?

faawrenchbndr
08-20-2010, 13:23
Your scope is fine,.........

Batesmotel
08-20-2010, 13:29
I torque mine to 25 inch pounds. Over tightening will usually damage the rings and screws. Unless you can feel an indentation from the rings or something is not working right you are fine.

GLShooter
08-23-2010, 17:52
I did check and noticed a few marks from the rings on the matte finish of hte scope--- but they rubbed off and the left the scope looking normal.

would it take visible damage (such as noticing an obvious dent or bend in the tube) to ruin the scope? Or could i have done something to damage the scope and not left a mark on the outside of the tube?

It would be a visible damage deal. You start putting creases in them you might have an issue but in reality I bet you it wouldn't affect the performance. More an aesthetic issue than anything else.

Greg