hunting license in SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hunting license in SC

Old School
08-20-2010, 12:50
I live in Wilm NC and might have the opportunity to do some deer hunting on private land in SC this fall. No Sunday hunting in NC so I'm really excited about being able to do that in SC.

What's the scoop on getting a hunting license in SC? I looked on the gov website and it seems to be quite the process - I was wondering if it was more simple in practice than on the web?

Edited to add - I've been licensed to hunt in NC since I was 18.

rwr-b
08-20-2010, 15:31
Can you make a trip to a Wal-Mart in SC?

Old School
08-20-2010, 16:51
absolutely - there's an online form that asks for a 'hunters education' certificate and state of issue. If i go to WalMart, do I just give them my NC hunting license number...or are you saying that they'll not ask.

rwr-b
08-21-2010, 07:29
All I know is that EVERY time I'm in there for ammunition I'm in line behind one or two folks who are getting a SC license (many of whom are NOT SC residents) takes about 5 minuets tops - no certificates asked for that I noticed!

Koontzy
08-21-2010, 23:46
You should be ok...... I think the hunter ed course if for sc res only,

tslater
08-23-2010, 16:13
You have to take a hunter's safety course if you were born after June 30, 1979. If you were born before, you don't have to have it.

Old School
09-05-2010, 20:07
That must be it. I walked in and picked mine up today. No questions. I guess my son (12) will have to take something in a few years when he can't hunt under my license. Unless I get him a lifetime license now? Wonder how that works.

In NC when you buy your license and big game tags - they give it to you on the spot. In SC they mail your big game tags. Interesting.

Old School
09-27-2010, 13:42
Also to add - I called SCDNR with a question today. Very helpful and customer service oriented. I was impressed. If my hunts are anywhere near as successful, it will be well worth the non-residence prices.