Your Advice: Recoil Pads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your Advice: Recoil Pads

Zell
08-20-2010, 13:02
I just bought a Remington 870 Express Tactical 18.5 barrel (I think) for home defense.

I haven't shot the thing yet but I know it'll have some considerable kick to it. I haven't shot a shotgun for years but have several handguns in various calibers.

I believe I will want to get a recoil pad if I want to target shoot with it. What brand or type of pad should I get? The gun is all black.

Thanks!

Z71bill
08-20-2010, 13:19
Get the R3 pad -

I shot a few hundred rounds with the stock pad - nice black mark & sore shoulder.

Slapped on an R3 - I can shoot all day now with no problem.

Worth every penny.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=11766&categoryString=649***20766***9143***11373***

10 rounds
08-20-2010, 13:29
I have the same shotgun, I replaced mine with the supercell also and it worked much better than stock. If your only going to shoot it every now and then the super cell will be just fine. I shoot mine quite a bit so i decided to go with the knox stock and that seems a lot better than the supercell but some people do not like the pistol grip.

Zell
08-20-2010, 16:23
Get the R3 pad -

I shot a few hundred rounds with the stock pad - nice black mark & sore shoulder.

Slapped on an R3 - I can shoot all day now with no problem.

Worth every penny.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=11766&categoryString=649***20766***9143***11373***

I just read somewhere that the pad doesn't quite fit a 870 very well -- that it's a little larger than the the butt of the gun (some overlay). Is that correct? I want a good cushion but I also want it to look good on the gun. Thanks!

Warp
08-20-2010, 17:41
I'm interested in this as well. I have the same gun and am tired of beating my shoulder up when I shoot buck/slugs. I did that today for patterning, plus some magnums, and it isn't nearly as fun as it could be.

I'd really go for a knoxx without the pistol grip...

Aceman
08-20-2010, 18:08
There is always a good seat and push/pull. Hard to beat good technique.

southernshooter
08-21-2010, 04:47
I just bought a Remington 870 Express Tactical 18.5 barrel (I think) for home defense.

I haven't shot the thing yet but I know it'll have some considerable kick to it. I haven't shot a shotgun for years but have several handguns in various calibers.

I believe I will want to get a recoil pad if I want to target shoot with it. What brand or type of pad should I get? The gun is all black.

Thanks!

I have the same thing in the rifled barrel model. Those sabots are killing me. The recoil pad is too hard. Looking at limbsaver as a possibility.

Ride5C2
08-21-2010, 09:15
Limbsaver all the way. I literally had a nice blue bruise after shooting my 930 SPX, put a Limbsaver pad on it has made a world of difference, it is now a pleasure to shoot. I did a lot of research / reviews and was still surprised that it actually works.

David Armstrong
08-21-2010, 11:06
There is always a good seat and push/pull. Hard to beat good technique.

A big +1. Proper technique in mounting and firing the shotgun will go much further than a recoil pad when it comes to reducing the effects of the recoil on the person. Barring some unusual circumstances there is not much excuse for a typical shooter with a normal shotgun getting beat up, bruised, and battered by shooting their gun.

Z71bill
08-22-2010, 21:37
Limbsaver all the way. I literally had a nice blue bruise after shooting my 930 SPX, put a Limbsaver pad on it has made a world of difference, it is now a pleasure to shoot. I did a lot of research / reviews and was still surprised that it actually works.

IIRC the Limbsaver pad is the old style Remington R3 pad - Limbsaver manufactures the pads for Remington.

My pad fits perfect - and it really does help prevent a sore shoulder -

I am over 50 - been shooting shotguns for 40 years - never had a problem when I was younger - old people must bruise easier. :crying:

I normally shoot in a T-shirt so having a good recoil pad makes a difference.

Big_Grumpy
08-23-2010, 08:05
I have both the Knoxx collapsable recoil reducing stock AND an R3 Limbsaver pad on my 870. Call me a grandma, but shooting 3" slugs all day is a pleasure.

byf43
08-23-2010, 19:09
The R3 pad is a Limbsaver pad with Remington's 'mark' on it.
Niiiiiiiiice recoil pad.
The Limbsaver is what the name implies.

If you want a pistol-gripped stock, the Knoxx (Blackhawk Ind.) SpecOps is one incredible stock!
I've posted this before. I set up an 870 for my daughter ("Express" w/26" barrel, and swapped it for 18-1/2" Imp. Cyl barrel and synthetic forend,) and put a SpecOps stock on it.
She'd never fired a shotgun before I gave her this.
She fired over 250 rounds on the first outing, and she absolutely loves that shotgun!
That stock WORKS as advertised.

deputy tom
08-27-2010, 17:48
Another vote for the Limbsaver.tom.:cool: