Using Lee Dies in a Dillon 550B [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using Lee Dies in a Dillon 550B

jwc17
08-20-2010, 15:28
I have owned Lee Classic Turret, Loadmaster and Classic Cast presses but recently sold them all and bought a Dillon 550B which just arrived today.

I kept my Lee dies because they never failed me. Is there any reason I should not consider using them in my new 550B?

XDRoX
08-20-2010, 15:35
They'll work fine in your new blue toy. One of the reasons that some prefer Dillon dies are because they have a slightly larger mouth than the Lee dies. The cases slip into them easier because of the larger mouth. When I'm in the groove I don't like getting a snagged case to slow me down.:supergrin:

Olivers_AR
08-20-2010, 15:42
I've used them for .45ACP, as noted they don't have the beveled edges, but do work fine.

GioaJack
08-20-2010, 15:56
STOP, STOP, STOP!!! DON'T EVEN OPEN THE BOX! Lee dies react with the inferior metal of Dillon presses causing a toxic fume to be given off. (Side effects of these fumes include, but are not limited to, dizziness, loss of motor coordination, boils, ringing in the ears, bleeding gums, double vision, restless leg syndrome, stiff leg syndrome, rubber leg syndrome, chicken leg syndrome, LBBCC, (Leggo Building Block Construction Compulsion) and in rarely reported instances, explosive diarrhea.

To avoid these potentially fatal and always embarrassing conditions return the Dillon press post haste and in its stead purchase a Hornady LNL. The LNL is constructed with super secret metals two grades superior to the metals used in the armor plating of the Abrams Main Battle Tank and is impervious to rust, corrosion, warping, breakage, close proximity nuclear detonation or the propensity to produce inferior ammunition which has been scientifically proven to be inherent in Dillon presses.

There is no need to thank me for saving you from a dreadful mistake... I long ago dedicated my life to helping others.

Jack

jwc17
08-20-2010, 16:13
If it's any consolation Jack, I will be using Hornady lock rings on the Lee dies!

Colorado4Wheel
08-20-2010, 16:53
Lee Lock rings are huge, hornady are also kinda big. Dillon has some nice steel ones that also happen to fit their fancy wrench/allen set. It's just sucks you in to more Dillon stuff. I use Lee dies in every caliber I load.

ron59
08-20-2010, 17:04
I have a Lee sizing die I use instead of the Dillon one. Yes, the mouth isn't beveled, but it seems to resize the base a little better? At least for my 9mm it does.

I owe Steve (C4W) for that little tip.

I also use a Redding Micrometer Seating die, that's *sweet*. I love it. I only use the Dillon Powder station stuff and their crimp die. The Lee stuff will work fine.

dudel
08-20-2010, 17:45
The Lee dies will work just fine in the 550b. I would consider swapping out the Lee lock rings for the Dillon lock rings. Space on the 550b tool head is at a premium. The Dillon lock rings are much smaller and give you more room to lock down the dies.

hounds2
08-20-2010, 17:51
+1 on dudel...not only do the dillion lock rings buy you some space but they hold the die adjustment. i like lee dies but hate the o-ring lock rings. they let things move around and affect consistancy. change to dillion lock rings and load away. btw, i have some dillion dies and they are great too. i like the way you can dis-assemble and clean without re-adjusting everything when you are done. good luck

Colorado4Wheel
08-20-2010, 21:01
I actually like the Lee Lock rings with the O rings in place for the LCT. BUT not for the 550. Different machines. LCT benifits from the "floating die concept". I don't see the Dillon as the same. It's toolhead is not a rotating setup like the LCT. To get a locked setup with the lee rings just take the o-ring out and flip them over. Solid as a rock then. Still way to big but no more o-ring.

unclebob
08-20-2010, 21:06
Get the Dillon 1” lock rings. Forget any wrench, and don’t get the Dillon Allen wrenches.
Instead get a 1” deep well socket. Works 100 times better than a wrench. Go too Ace hardware and get their Allen ball end Allen wrenches that look like screwdrivers. Works better than plain Allen wrenches or even the T handle Allen sets.
Using the Lee dies you may only get one or two threads on the lock ring. That is all that you need.

TonyT
08-21-2010, 12:42
I have used Dillon, Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Hor nady dies in my Dillon 550. When loading lead bullets I prefer the Dillon seating die since it is easy to remocve the seating stem for cleaning without disturbing the adjustments.

Rico567
08-29-2010, 13:54
I got Dillon .45 ACP dies that came with my 650. I also have the Dillon carbide set in .223. The other dies I use on the Dillon are Lee (which are as good as any die made, in my opinion), except for some old Lyman dies I'm using in .38 / .357. Station 5 for pistols always has a Lee FCD in there; once I used one, I wouldn't be without it.

PCJim
08-29-2010, 14:34
I use Lee dies in my 550b almost exclusively. The lockrings are a tad larger than what would be preferred on the toolhead, but they work nevertheless.

MoNsTeR
08-29-2010, 16:43
They work great. I recommend switching the Lee lock rings for Dillon 1" rings as others have suggested.

jwc17
08-29-2010, 23:18
They work great. I recommend switching the Lee lock rings for Dillon 1" rings as others have suggested.

I took the advice of buying a few sets of Dillon lock rings for my Lee dies. They work great and I am very impressed with the 550B.

shotgunred
08-30-2010, 04:46
Its kind of like sticking a Hyundai engine in a race car. It will still get you around the track but.....:crying:

frankmako
08-30-2010, 04:58
yes it will work with no problems. i use just about every brand of dies made in both of my 550's. i even mix brands in some cals that i load.

ursoboostd
08-30-2010, 19:10
When you guys use other manufacturers dies, do you just use Dillon's Charge die? -Wade-

Colorado4Wheel
08-30-2010, 19:15
Yes. You only need three dies from the Lee set.

Sizing
(Dillon Powder die)
Bullet Seating
Crimp

Or if your old school

Sizing
(Dillon Powder Die)
Seat and Crimp
Last station empty.

ursoboostd
08-31-2010, 20:17
When I get my 650 I'll probably be using some of the Lee dies I already have. -Wade-

creophus
09-01-2010, 12:44
They'll work fine in your new blue toy. One of the reasons that some prefer Dillon dies are because they have a slightly larger mouth than the Lee dies. The cases slip into them easier because of the larger mouth. When I'm in the groove I don't like getting a snagged case to slow me down.:supergrin:

This.

RustyFN
09-02-2010, 19:39
I have owned Lee Classic Turret, Loadmaster and Classic Cast presses but recently sold them all and bought a Dillon 550B which just arrived today.

I kept my Lee dies because they never failed me. Is there any reason I should not consider using them in my new 550B?

The Lee dies should work fine on the Dillon 550. There's nothing wrong with upgrading the 550 with Lee dies. :tinfoil: :rofl:

jwc17
09-03-2010, 00:20
So far so good with the Lee sizing, Dillon powder, Lee seating and Lee factory crimp dies in the 550B for both 9mm and 38 Special.

I found spraying the cases lightly with Hornady One Shot case lube reduces the amount of pressure I need to apply on the handle and allows the press to run smoother.

dudel
09-03-2010, 02:35
So far so good with the Lee sizing, Dillon powder, Lee seating and Lee factory crimp dies in the 550B for both 9mm and 38 Special.

I found spraying the cases lightly with Hornady One Shot case lube reduces the amount of pressure I need to apply on the handle and allows the press to run smoother.

But if you don't clean it off, it creates more pressure on the guns breechface. Same thing that makes it slippery in the die, makes it slippery in the chamber.

creophus
09-03-2010, 07:09
But if you don't clean it off, it creates more pressure on the guns breechface. Same thing that makes it slippery in the die, makes it slippery in the chamber.

I've heard this mentioned before but haven't found it to be a problem personally.

I use carbide dies so if I ever put lube on anything its only a couple cases out of a few hundred and things smooth out nicely on the 550.

ETA: I'd be more concerned about getting case lube in my gun and having failures.