How often does the Instructor gets Sued? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How often does the Instructor gets Sued?

Gadget54
08-20-2010, 16:50
I am a Certified NRA basic pistol instructor and teach Basic pistol classes. In my state this course meets the educational requirement for a person to apply for a CCW permit. I have found that most are taking the class not to learn to shoot but for the CCW permit requirements. In the NRA course it is strictly outlined and adhered to in order to be consistent. Focusing on 'how to shoot a gun' not the 'when to shoot a person'. ( I take great lengths to avoid answering this question and putting the question back on the student) In your experience when the instructor is brought into court...

How often does the Instructor get sued i.e. the focus of liability?
and
Which topic poses the greatest liability?

Respectfully,
Gadget54

Mas Ayoob
08-20-2010, 17:13
Not often. (Hasn't happened to me yet, in 38 years.) But it can happen.

Suits where the instructor is the primary defendant normally revolve around the instructor injuring the student.

Vicarious liability, in which the plaintiff sues everyone in sight, is something I haven't seen happen yet to a CCW instructor after the graduate shot a third party later in self-defense. (Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, or can't happen; just means I haven't personally seen it.) However, I've seen police lawsuits where everyone from the chief on down was sued by the plaintiff under the vicarious liability theory.

Best,
Mas

Gadget54
08-21-2010, 13:23
I am familiar with Vicarious Liability and how it applies in Law Enforcement as a LE trainer and FTO. I have done specifics to insulate between LE (profession) and NRA (Hobby)training that I do, to insure my employer does not get dragged in.

That gives me some peace of mind.

Thank you.
Gadget54