Comcast Upgrade Requires New Modem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Upgrade Requires New Modem

ColCol
08-20-2010, 20:29
My ISP is Comcast. Earlier this week or late last week I got a letter from them saying they were going to send me a new modem since they're going to be upgrading their system and supposedly, my old modem won't work with DOCSIS 1.0. I don't rent a modem from them so I called. They said they send the letter out to everyone that uses Comcast but that if I had an older modem I'd have to get one that was DOCSIS 2.0 compliant...whatever that means.

I found out my Toshiba PCX 2200 is not compliant so I guess I'll have to get maybe a Linksys GM-100 that is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. Trouble is my router(Linksys BEFSR41) is about five years old and don't know if that too will need replacing. Anyone know if this is going to be another expense or will it still work with the new modem and Comcast's new system?

IndyGunFreak
08-20-2010, 20:38
My ISP is Comcast. Earlier this week or late last week I got a letter from them saying they were going to send me a new modem since they're going to be upgrading their system and supposedly, my old modem won't work with DOCSIS 1.0. I don't rent a modem from them so I called. They said they send the letter out to everyone that uses Comcast but that if I had an older modem I'd have to get one that was DOCSIS 2.0 compliant...whatever that means.

I found out my Toshiba PCX 2200 is not compliant so I guess I'll have to get maybe a Linksys GM-100 that is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. Trouble is my router(Linksys BEFSR41) is about five years old and don't know if that too will need replacing. Anyone know if this is going to be another expense or will it still work with the new modem and Comcast's new system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Just reading that, I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say your router is probably OK. What speeds are you paying for w/ Comcast? If you're only paying for a "normal" internet connection(5-10mb down, 2-4mb up).. I'm guessing you'll be OK.

W4CNG
08-20-2010, 21:48
Sorry for all your Cable Modem issues, my ISP is Clear or Clearwire where you may live in cities that it is now on and running. My Router is a NetGrear that takes anything into it's Ethernet side and has 4 hardwired outputs plus wireless N and G outputs for up to 4 more wireless connections. This works great for my Vista Computer, HP Printer with Blue-tooth and two Mac Computers, one fixed and another mobile in the home. Also there are two iPhones that can connect to the wireless router. All work great and have great speed!

Pierre!
08-20-2010, 22:20
Ethernet is Ethernet still... IPv4 AND IPv6 run on it, and I doubt your cable modem will be using something other than Ethernet.. so you should be good to go!

BUT.... If you are considering wireless or want to beef up your security, now would be a good time to go for it.

3 to 5 years is the 'sweet spot' for technology purchasing. The algorithms get tighter and faster so typically you end up with faster for a minimal increase in price.

If you have considered wireless, or want a fresher internal firewall on a wired router you are in the good spot for an 'upgrade' that will most likely be more secure and faster.

HTH!

kc8ykd
08-20-2010, 22:24
I assume this is a continuation of this prior thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254438

Your BEFSR41 and a CM100 are compatible and the BEFSR41 will not need to be replaced. Simply plug in a cable between the ethernet port on the BEFSR41 and the ethernet port on the CM100.

There should be no settings changes necessary on the BEFSR41 or the pc(s) connected to it.

rullywowr and IndyGunFreak have posted a nice link to a description of what DOCSIS2.0 is, you might find reading the information at the link helpful to your understanding of what's going on with your cable internet service.

bigdollars
08-20-2010, 23:08

mine is a docsis 3.0 from comcast and my speed is 16 mbps of download speed.
any router should work but in my area any comcast customer can get a free router with service. just pay the $5 per month for the modem. they will ship it to you so you don't have to pay the install fees. the shipping is $9.99.

ColCol
08-21-2010, 12:06
I assume this is a continuation of this prior thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254438

By golly, you're right. I must be getting senile. I had forgotten I posted that in the Lounge. Too many things running in my head, I suppose. I don't really want to rent anything from Comcast in the line of modems/routers. The digital cable box for the TV is enough.

At any rate, I'll just go with the CM-100 and keep the BEFSR41 and see how things go next month when they make the upgrade. Sorry guys, for the double post. Age seems to have it's limitations.