1911 Style Grip Angle versus other pistols [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Style Grip Angle versus other pistols

CDR_Glock
08-21-2010, 04:53
A few friends and I went to the range yesterday. We had a variety of 45s to shoot: 3 1911s, XD, Para, Colt. I noticed that with the 1911s and XD I had to hold the pistol higher up in my grip to shoot them accurately. The 3" Colt Defender was the same way but more pronounced in the requirement to hold it high. So essentially, the fleshy part between the thumb and forefinger were pressing high against the beavertail.

What is your experience with this type of grip? Do you find yourself gripping the pistol differently with this design compared to others? I noticed that this was the reason that I needed to be more aware of how I hold a Glock or Sig Sauer versus a 1911/XD grip.

Your thoughts?

Mas Ayoob
08-21-2010, 05:12
Personally, the firm, high-hand grasp works better for me with all pistols. It may be that the grip safeties on the XD and the 1911s made you and your fellow shooters more consciously or subconsciously aware of the need for a solid hold.

I use pretty much the same "grip" on all of them. Hand-to-gun fit is hugely subjective, of course, and it's also possible that shooting a less-familiar gun made you more consciously aware of how you were grasping it.

Sorry I couldn't provide a more specific answer,
Mas