Locally available 9mm loads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Locally available 9mm loads?

trlcavscout
08-21-2010, 08:21
I use to reload 308 by the bucket but I have been out of it for a while now. And I apologize I have limited search and view capabilities on my work PC here. I am gonna go pick up the equipment today to start loading some 9mm for competition/practice use. I am looking for some basic loads for softer shooting stuff for me and my wife and son will be shooting my 9's. I will tailor the loads over the winter but just need some advice on stuff that can be obtained locally (for the most part) for now. Best primers and powder especially. Also I am building an unlimited gun and I see alot on "soft" primers, where can they be had? Thanks for any help.

Glockin26
08-21-2010, 08:47
If your wanting to buy stuff locally it would help if you gave a location.

AZBru88
08-21-2010, 09:01
trlcavscout you will do much better online price wise. Here's a few places I love and use all the time;

Bullets....Montana Gold (https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl)....Lots of guys shoot Berry plated bullets too.
Reloading Equipment.....Dillons (http://www.dillonprecision.com/)(550B is my favorite)
Bullets, powder, primers......Powder Valley (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/).....Graf and Sons.....Wideners (http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278%7C281%7C727)

Of course Midway and Brownells. There are a lot of others. If you need 9mm brass PM me I'll give you the email address of the guy I buy from. Very reasonable.
Primers and powder I have picked up lately at Gun Shows and big box stores. Now they are getting back in stock. If you have any questions, lots of guys here will know the answers. This is my small list, lots of more info in the sticky's above. Check them out too. Best of luck enjoy. Lots of mild 9mm loads out there. Get a good loading manual and start there, work up loads for your guns.

trlcavscout
08-21-2010, 09:54
Ok, the reason I wanted to start locally is just to see what worked before I started ordering in large quantities. I was just looking for the a good type of powder to start with etc. I have the "sportsmans wharehouse" etc locally. I will be picking up a manual when I get my stuff later today.

KiloBravo
08-21-2010, 10:01
If you want to buy locally, just buy what powder and primers they have available at the place your buy your press and all of the other stuff from. That way, you will be able to find a recipe in the manual you get specifically for what you were able to find.

FWIW, I use Unique powder for everything I load for as of now. I am currently loading just pistol, but it works on my Lee Classic Turret press. Some guys here don't like it, and others love it, me included. :supergrin:

AZBru88
08-21-2010, 10:08
Sportsmans is a great place to start. Expensive but they usually have primers, powder and bullets in stock. I load bulk for my own shooting have 10K of 9mm brass, try to keep about 5K loaded, because I like to shoot a lot!
10mm I'm up to 3K+ of brass would love another 3K, 44 mag same about 5K of brass, all loaded at this time. Had a lot of time to load lately, waiting for my foot to heal up. Now its time to start shooting it up!
I have shot about 800 rounds the last 3 days and will probably shoot 5-600 rounds tonight too, if it doesn't rain!
Good luck with working up a light load for the family. That has to be the most fun thing in life. I will miss shooting with my Granddaughter she just left the state for college. She was bummed I went shooting last night with out her! Enjoy!

shotgunred
08-21-2010, 10:26
Primers...
Any small pistol primer other than wolf if you have a choice.

Powder.......
WSF
WST
win 321
HP 38
tight group
power pistol
unique

Bullets?
Whats aviable?
I prefer 124 gr.
I like Montana Gold and Rainiers.

What can you get locally?

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 10:36
Primers...
Any small pistol primer other than wolf if you have a choice.

WHAT... you mean the 20K Wolf primers I just bought are nothing but itty-bitty tiny boat anchors? Now I gotta take up archery. :crying:

Jack

shotgunred
08-21-2010, 10:41
Until lately the only primers I have ever had problems with were wolf. Last week I had four CCI not work.

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 10:49
Until lately the only primers I have ever had problems with were wolf. Last week I had four CCI not work.

Karma?

Jack

fredj338
08-21-2010, 14:28
Race gun, get Federal primers, they'll be more dependable. Powders, what bullet wts, what power levels? If you want light loads, WST works great, for full power to +P, WSF or Universal will do fine. Unique too, but I am leaning more to WSF these days, meters a bit better & burns a bit cleaner.

njl
08-21-2010, 14:52
I've loaded about 4lbs worth of Universal in 9mm 124gr. At starting load, it's softer than factory and runs fine in all my 9mm Glocks.

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 16:01
I have had good results with WST and WSF with 115 grain Montana Gold Bullets. I use CCI in the service pistols, Federal in the revolver with a real light spring. Won't set off anything but Federals. I also like Sierra Matchkings for pistol target shooting. Hornady is OK I think the Sierras and MTG were a tad better. I settled on WSF in 9mm in the end. I am very happy with it. TG works but it is a fast powder and takes up very little case capacity. I got away from it for those reasons, but it did shoot well.

trlcavscout
08-24-2010, 18:01
Ok so I finally got my setup. I got 1 lb of unique, 1k federal primers and hsm 124gr round nose plated to start with. I definitley need to order bullets on line to save. Also I would like to try some 147gr but couldn't find any locally. My book shows 6.2gr for a starting load at 1170fps. I will see how that works.

njl
08-24-2010, 18:23
Ok so I finally got my setup. I got 1 lb of unique, 1k federal primers and hsm 124gr round nose plated to start with. I definitley need to order bullets on line to save. Also I would like to try some 147gr but couldn't find any locally. My book shows 6.2gr for a starting load at 1170fps. I will see how that works.

You might double check that data (what book did you get it from?). Multiple sources I just checked suggest that's a max load (or beyond).

trlcavscout
08-24-2010, 18:34
You might double check that data (what book did you get it from?). Multiple sources I just checked suggest that's a max load (or beyond).

Maybe it was max, I just skimmed through so far. I though it seemed high compared to the other books I looked at today.

PCJim
08-24-2010, 21:00
Maybe it was max, I just skimmed through so far. I though it seemed high compared to the other books I looked at today.

Settling on a particular powder charge from simply skimming thru reloading manuals is asking for trouble for both you and those around you. Be very particular with your load selections, working them up carefully. Consult several sources before deciding on a starting charge. Misprints do happen.

trlcavscout
08-24-2010, 22:46
Settling on a particular powder charge from simply skimming thru reloading manuals is asking for trouble for both you and those around you. Be very particular with your load selections, working them up carefully. Consult several sources before deciding on a starting charge. Misprints do happen.

I will not be doing anything that can burn the house down till this weekend. I have so much brass I am working on sizeing it all before I switch dies and go any further. So I will have plenty of time to figure out a starting point. I picked up some 115 gr's to play with also. I also scored a set of 357 sig dies so I am all set, just need more brass for the 357.