Why buy a second press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why buy a second press?

FiremanMike
08-21-2010, 08:47
My wife, after a year of searching (seriously, I thought there was a NURSING SHORTAGE, tell that to all the nurses from my wife's class who are still without a job) my wife finally has a good potential to get hired. After 12 years of single income, living paycheck to paycheck, it's about to all change.

I've been pondering what my first extraneous purchase will be, and I think I'm down to a Gen3 Glock 19 to compliment my Gen4, or a new press, probably a 550b.

Most of you guys remember that I'm currently rocking a LCT and everything on it works just fine. I love the powder measure system and am a bit intimidated by the dillon system (don't you have to check more frequently, as those micro adjustment screws can move about?). In addition, I'm not really sure why I would want/need two presses on my bench.

So, those of you with multiple presses.. why? :)

PBKing
08-21-2010, 08:54
It is all about needs. The press suites your needs so...... do I need more than I need?

I have always found it useful having a single stage around. More often than I can count.

IndyGunFreak
08-21-2010, 09:03
My wife, after a year of searching (seriously, I thought there was a NURSING SHORTAGE, tell that to all the nurses from my wife's class who are still without a job) my wife finally has a good potential to get hired. After 12 years of single income, living paycheck to paycheck, it's about to all change.

I've been pondering what my first extraneous purchase will be, and I think I'm down to a Gen3 Glock 19 to compliment my Gen4, or a new press, probably a 550b.

Most of you guys remember that I'm currently rocking a LCT and everything on it works just fine. I love the powder measure system and am a bit intimidated by the dillon system (don't you have to check more frequently, as those micro adjustment screws can move about?). In addition, I'm not really sure why I would want/need two presses on my bench.

If you like the LCT powder measure, get an LNL(little cheaper than the 550), has 5 stations for a powder check die if you want it, and your Lee disk powder measure won't look to out of place on the press, and the caliber conversions for a LNL will be less w/ a LNL.

IGF

FiremanMike
08-21-2010, 09:14
If you like the LCT powder measure, get an LNL(little cheaper than the 550), has 5 stations for a powder check die if you want it, and your Lee disk powder measure won't look to out of place on the press, and the caliber conversions for a LNL will be less w/ a LNL.

IGF

I mean, I'm not opposed to the Dillon systems, that is of course if my assessment was incorrect and it's more reliable than I perceive..

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 09:15
Mike,

Congrats to your wife on the new job!

I used 1 press (a 550) for a very long time, it served me well. I bought a second press (the 650) becuase I was tired of the primer swap, and the 550 primer slide was annoying me. Add that to life getting busy and wanting more speed.

If you want a press and shoot alot then go for it. I would give the LNL a look and the 550 and 650. Think about the amount you want to produce in a session at the press. If what you have works then there is nothing wrong with it. If you want an upgrade, go for it!

Good luck to the wife at her new job!

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 09:20
I mean, I'm not opposed to the Dillon systems, that is of course if my assessment was incorrect and it's more reliable than I perceive..

The 550 is a non issue other then the primer slide. It gets dirty and chatters, you have to clean it and use a scotchbrite pad to polish it from time to time. I get 500 to 800 rounds at best between cleaning. I believe C4W said he gets around 1K from his. I never had a powder meassure problem. I check and adjust it run a few hundred (usualy 300) and recheck it. I never have to readjust it. So far the 650 has loaded around 1200 rounds of 45. 2 small adjustments to the case inserting block and it has not been touched, no primer issues. It is a completly diffrent primer system.

AZBru88
08-21-2010, 09:27
Mike I load a lot of Unique,& Blue Dot on my two 550's and my 450 and Sq. DealB. I visually inspect each powder charge. Hard to get a double using BD or Unique because it over fills the cases. Once adjusted my measurer's are very consistent. I do measure some that don't look right, and every hundred rounds for safeties reasons. When I first started I measured every 10 rounds or so. You will know if you screw adjuster is moving quite quickly. When I set up new dies and powder measurer I go back to every few rounds until I'm comfortable. Loaded over 100+K rounds works good for me.
PS my reason for having multi presses. Sq Deal was my first progressive press, not worth selling dedicated 38 spec., bought 550B for 44 mag, now load 10mm also on it (two heads set up, change the base plate and go), my other 550 I load small primer 9mm on. My 450 is set up for 300 win mag, left the solid frame with all the other upgrades added. I'm lazy and don't want to change the primer tubes on my 550's.Plus I shoot the 9's and 10's all the time.

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 09:35
Your wife doesn't NEED to shop at Victoria's Secret but it sure make life a lot more fun... so does a second or third or fourth or more presses. (Of course you can always wait until your next life... if you're that confident. :dunno:

BTW... if you're going to buy a new gun you may want to consider a real gun... not one of those plastic sissy guns. Just sayin', ya know? :whistling:

Jack

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 09:53
Jack,

You allways find a great way to put things in prespective!

Mike,

Don't tell him but he's right about plastic guns. 1911s are way more fun. A word of warning though, like most wonderfull things you can't stop at one!

FiremanMike
08-21-2010, 09:54
Your wife doesn't NEED to shop at Victoria's Secret but it sure make life a lot more fun... so does a second or third or fourth or more presses. (Of course you can always wait until your next life... if you're that confident. :dunno:

Good point...

BTW... if you're going to buy a new gun you may want to consider a real gun... not one of those plastic sissy guns. Just sayin', ya know? :whistling:

Jack

Wilson Combat CQC Compact is my dream gun that I will start stowing money away for at some point..

shotgunred
08-21-2010, 09:58

The dillion powder system is rock solid. It is basically a set it and forget it system. I have never had to readjust mine once it was set. You just need to make sure the powder is settled and throw several loads before you weigh it. After I adjust the powder bar I will throw and return three powder loads and weigh the fourth. I check it occasionally but I never had to adjust it.

ron59
08-21-2010, 13:33
The dillion powder system is rock solid. It is basically a set it and forget it system. I have never had to readjust mine once it was set. You just need to make sure the powder is settled and throw several loads before you weigh it. After I adjust the powder bar I will throw and return three powder loads and weigh the fourth. I check it occasionally but I never had to adjust it.

This.

When I first started, I would use the scale when I started a session, after the first 10, after the first 50.... Not any more.

Once I have a load set... all I do when I start a session is to throw TEN loads and start loading. The Dillon powder system is rock solid and very consistent.

Regarding the previous comments about the primer system. Man, I must be lucky or something. Seriously, I don't even think I clean my every 5000 rounds! Much less every 800? I think that would get old. You do have that flat "bearing" thing in there?

I'm considering a second press, it might be awhile as I want a 650. Since I've started shooting, my wants/needs have greatly increased. I'm currently shooting 2000 rounds (or so) a month, would like to shoot even more. I want a 650 (maybe a 1050?) dedicated to my 9mm, and keep my 550B for everything else. I can see a .40 and .45ACP setup down the road for it. Maybe even .380.

n2extrm
08-21-2010, 13:48
This.

When I first started, I would use the scale when I started a session, after the first 10, after the first 50.... Not any more.

Once I have a load set... all I do when I start a session is to throw TEN loads and start loading. The Dillon powder system is rock solid and very consistent.

Regarding the previous comments about the primer system. Man, I must be lucky or something. Seriously, I don't even think I clean my every 5000 rounds! Much less every 800? I think that would get old. You do have that flat "bearing" thing in there?

I'm considering a second press, it might be awhile as I want a 650. Since I've started shooting, my wants/needs have greatly increased. I'm currently shooting 2000 rounds (or so) a month, would like to shoot even more. I want a 650 (maybe a 1050?) dedicated to my 9mm, and keep my 550B for everything else. I can see a .40 and .45ACP setup down the road for it. Maybe even .380.

I do have the flat bearing in there. The press has seen alot of ammo in its day. I may have it refurbed by Dillon.

I have been lovin my 650 since I got it. My idea was a dedicated (650) press for 45 and 550 for the rest. Unclebob gave me an idea about swapping the case feeder around and I would consider a second 650 someday. Hey I still am tempted to get a LNL, just to annoy the heck out of Jack!

fredj338
08-21-2010, 13:50
Exactly, it's built to be that way. It really can't get out of adjustment once set. The primer bar is another issue & except for Ron59, I don't know anyone that doesn't have issues keeping it clean. Mayb Ron is depriming before tumbling & sizing deprimed brass. Most of the crud that gets caught in the priming system comes from depriming. I keep air on the bench to blow the slide area out & it needs to come apart every 1000rds max for serious cleaning.
If you have the funds, separate presses are great for diff reasons. I have a SS, 550B & now a 650. I use the SS quite a bit, small batch loading, rifle hunting & target ammo, case forming, bullet sizing, very useful. The 550B is for all the other handgun roudns I shoot enough to have a conversion for. The 650, for now, just 45acp, but if I get back to CAS, 45colt too.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
08-21-2010, 13:54
The 550 powder measure is much nicer then the Pro Auto Disc. Mostly due to it's real adjustability vs the disc setup. Neither is bad but the Dillon is nicer.

After all this dicussion of the gunk on the 550 I decided to try and see how long it goes with out cleaning. It wasn't a real test as I started the test not knowing when I had cleaned it last. But, I was not filthy but not clean. I then loaded 2K rounds over a couple weeks. It still is working but it was getting sluggish every once in a while so I cleaned it. I do wipe it with out disassembling it regularly. That helps a lot.

Real question is "why do you want a second press?"

FiremanMike
08-21-2010, 17:30
Real question is "why do you want a second press?"

That's why I made this thread, I really dunno, just seems like all the cool people have multiple presses lol.

<shrug> I feel like I'm a moderately experienced loader now, maybe it's time to move up from a turret to a progressive?

GioaJack
08-21-2010, 17:44
C4W has two presses... he's not cool. (So much for your theory.)

Jack

RustyFN
08-21-2010, 17:47
For me I would only buy another press if mine didn't meet my needs. My LCT meets my needs fine. I don't own a Dillon press but did load on a friends Dillon 550. After Having to set it up for what I was loading and get the powder measure adjusted I wouldn't worry about the powder measure going out of adjustment. It seemed solid to me.

ron59
08-21-2010, 18:38
The primer bar is another issue & except for Ron59, I don't know anyone that doesn't have issues keeping it clean. Maybe Ron is depriming before tumbling & sizing deprimed brass. Most of the crud that gets caught in the priming system comes from depriming. I keep air on the bench to blow the slide area out & it needs to come apart every 1000rds max for serious cleaning.

No, not depriming first. I really don't think I'm doing anything "different".... I was totally unaware that it seemed to be a universal problem until recently. I mean, I heard it needed to be occasionally cleaned, but to me, every 800 rounds sounds *often*.

I might blow (with my breath) under there every great once in awhile when I see some crud, but I'm talking 1000-rounds-or-more great once in awhile.

Maybe mine is just newer, and you guys have forgotten that when you got yours it was smooth sailing for awhile and just got worse over time? Remember, I've only had mine running for just over a year (approx. 20,000 rounds).

Maybe you should see about replacing that bearing or something?

fredj338
08-21-2010, 18:54
No, not depriming first. I really don't think I'm doing anything "different".... I was totally unaware that it seemed to be a universal problem until recently. I mean, I heard it needed to be occasionally cleaned, but to me, every 800 rounds sounds *often*.

I might blow (with my breath) under there every great once in awhile when I see some crud, but I'm talking 1000-rounds-or-more great once in awhile.

Maybe mine is just newer, and you guys have forgotten that when you got yours it was smooth sailing for awhile and just got worse over time? Remember, I've only had mine running for just over a year (approx. 20,000 rounds).

Maybe you should see about replacing that bearing or something?
THey have "new" primer bars & I have repalced mine. It does seem to run smoother, but I am still brushing or blowing air to clean out the crud. Old habit I guess, but it's been like that since I got it, although I do remember it running for a couple 1000 between cleanings.:dunno:

freakshow10mm
08-21-2010, 20:06
I currently have three presses.

A Dillon Super 1050 dedicated to 9mm

A Dillon 550 focused on .45 ACP but also load .357, .41, and .44 Magnums on it as well as .380. Those are when I justify enough to setup the press. I also load my personal 10mm on it and it serves as a backup for my 9mm. My friend uses it with my leftover .375 H&H conversion kit to load for his rifle in bulk.

The third press is a RCBS Rockchucker. I use it for trimming .308 brass in the Dillon trimmer, a universal decapping press (Lee die), and a bullet pulling press (with Hornady collet puller. I use it for case forming .33 WCF from 45/70 brass and .256 Win Mag from .357 Mag brass. I also use it to swage .22 rimfire brass into .224 bullets. I also use it for forming jackets with .380 and 9mm brass (annealed) and make 10mm bullets from 100gr to 245gr. I use it to load .22-250 for my neighbor's prairie dog rifle.

I guess my point is the presses each have a function and role that may be duplicated on another press or can't be done on another press. You can't swage bullets on a 1050 but you can swage primer pockets on it. You can't pull bullets on a 550, but you can load .375 H&H Magnum at 400 rounds an hour on it.

Each press has it's own role. Those that load for a variety of cartridges usually have multiple presses. I started, as many on here will recall, with a Lee hand press loading 10mm Auto in my in-laws basement when I was living there, going to college, and had a newborn at home. My entire reloading setup was contained inside a shoebox. Then I got a LCT press for a present a few months later. Then I spotted a 550 at a steal of a price. Then it grew from there.

Oh, and I have a MEC 600JR setup in 20ga. :whistling:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Ammo/Equipment/DSCN0034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Ammo/Equipment/DSCN0033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Ammo/Equipment/DSCN0030.jpg

sig357fan
08-22-2010, 00:19
For me I would only buy another press if mine didn't meet my needs.....

I have to agree with Rusty, if your current press meets your needs, maybe you should look into some accessories to make reloading easier.

I’ve been looking at the different powder dispenser/scale units to replace my Uni-flow, 505 scale and powder trickler for precision rifle powder charges.

BUT...

I do have 3 different presses and have a "need" for each one.

just my $0.02

sig357fan

shotgunred
08-22-2010, 11:21
Personally I would like to upgrade my 550 to a 650 with a bullet and brass feeders. I am certain I would enjoy it more than my 550. But were the rubber meets the road its totally unnecessary. I am loading about 2K a month right now. So I am only using the press 5 hours out of 730 (approximately) hours in a month. While there certainly wouldn't be anything wrong with upgrading I just can't justify it with my current budget and useage.

Duck of Death
08-22-2010, 14:34
2nd press???, hell I got 3 on the bench and 4 more in boxes.

Uncle Don
08-22-2010, 15:55
Not having spent a great deal of time with a 550, I can't speak to it's being "rock solid" and possibly it is. However, it is adjustable - perhaps it keeps its adjustment, but my practice has always been with anything that can adjust, can misadjust and I check weight frequently.

The thing I like about the Pro Auto Disk is the fact that it doesn't adjust and even though I have the adjustable cavity - I don't use it. A fixed disc works much like a shotgun loader as far as powder dispensing (it can't change) and I don't know of any shotgun loaders that regularly thier weights unless opening a new can of powder. The same holds true with the auto measure disc system. I know which cavities drop the closest to what I want and after the first drop for verification, never check it again.

unclebob
08-22-2010, 16:25
Not having spent a great deal of time with a 550, I can't speak to it's being "rock solid" and possibly it is. However, it is adjustable - perhaps it keeps its adjustment, but my practice has always been with anything that can adjust, can misadjust and I check weight frequently.

I have load well over 200,000 rds on a 550 and 650. And the Dillon power measure has never came out of adjustment. But my powder measures once they are adjusted are hardly ever moved.
A fixed disk has their good points and there bad points.

dudel
08-22-2010, 16:33

+1 Of all the powder dumps I've used, the Dillon works best with the powders I run.

Also, I'm not sure I follow regarding the problem with the 550b primer feed. Since I switched to small primer 45ACP brass, I don't have to change out the primer bar. Mine's been sliding smoothly from the first. I suspect if you spill flake powder you could gum it up.

fredj338
08-22-2010, 18:32
Personally I would like to upgrade my 550 to a 650 with a bullet and brass feeders. I am certain I would enjoy it more than my 550. But were the rubber meets the road its totally unnecessary. I am loading about 2K a month right now. So I am only using the press 5 hours out of 730 (approximately) hours in a month. While there certainly wouldn't be anything wrong with upgrading I just can't justify it with my current budget and useage.
Same for me. I inerited my dad's 550B & was running two. Always though I would like a 650 but couldn't really justify buying one. Then my buddy wanted to start reloading & was going to buy the RC kit, but he does mostly handgun & I tried, really, to talk him into a LCT, but he has heard too many stroies about Lee quality (not from me) that he was just going to go SS. So I sold him my extra 550B & a scale for what his RC kit would cost & bought the 650.
Good machine, but I really don't need the add'l. speed. The 550B will easily do 450rds/hr & I rarley shoot that much a week anymore. So it's my dedicated 45acp press for now & everything else is done on the SS or 550B.

GioaJack
08-22-2010, 18:45
I like toys! If it has a lever to pull, a remote to click, a sound system to turn on or a screen big enough to make my TV room look like a drive in theater I buy it.

I looked in the mirror one time and realized that I wasn't Shirley MaClaine and that I was only going to live one time, (the younger guys won't understand the reference), so if I wanted to do something... I better do it now.

They weren't always good decisions but damn I've had a fun ride! When the invent another kind of press I'm buying it... they make a nice inheritance. :crying:

Jack

unclebob
08-22-2010, 18:50
I like toys! If it has a lever to pull, a remote to click, a sound system to turn on or a screen big enough to make my TV room look like a drive in theater I buy it.

I looked in the mirror one time and realized that I wasn't Shirley MaClaine and that I was only going to live one time, (the younger guys won't understand the reference), so if I wanted to do something... I better do it now.

They weren't always good decisions but damn I've had a fun ride! When the invent another kind of press I'm buying it... they make a nice inheritance. :crying:

Jack

The profound words of a single guy.:supergrin:

PCJim
08-22-2010, 21:05
When they invent another kind of press I'm buying it... they make a nice inheritance.

He's going to leave them to his daughter or grandson, as we already know how he feels about his SIL. :supergrin:

GLShooter
08-23-2010, 16:18
I'm using eight metallic and three shotgun presses at this time. I like not doing a lot of swapping on some set ups. I have three Dillon 300's that are set up for 38 Special, 45 ACP and 223. The 650 is set up for 223 based cartridges like 6X45, 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger and , of course, 223.

I like the 550 for quick change cartridges that I need only 200-300 of. The tool head swap is so nice.

I believe you can't have too many presses or too many guns. :supergrin:

Greg

PS: I went retro last week and bought a Rockchucker Supreme. I haven't had a single stage in use since about 1980!! That being said I am lusting over a Redding 77 as my next one.

noylj
08-23-2010, 17:15
There is a LOT more need for that second gun that a second press. It is impossible to have too many guns.
The only reasons for a second press are if it has features you can't live without (and you may get rid of your old press) or you need a press permanently set-up for a specific caliber.
Now, I push for the Hornady L-N-L for progressives, though I have three Dillons (all 1050s). Before you buy a Dillon, try to find someone who has one so you can try it out. I know that I really did not like working a 650 as I had to feed the empty case into the back right station. I found it awkward and decided if I ever thought about getting one (it didn't do anything my Hornady didn't do, so that was doubtful) I would definitely get the case feeder.
With three 1050s, I still am not too impressed with the case feeders (and I suspect that Hornady's is just as "bad" if not worse).

shotgunred
08-23-2010, 17:23
SO you like your Hornady L-N-L better than your 3 1050's?
I got to see a picture of this.

Want to trade a brand new Hornady L-N-L for a 1050?:cool:

noylj
08-23-2010, 17:46
I don't think anywhere in my post did I even hint that I preferred the Hornady to the 1050. I do prefer it to the 550 and 650. I like to load cases and bullets with my left hand while my right stays on the handle.
My Hornady went to my son after I had a couple of 1050s. I would have kept it for loading the misc. cartridges, but SWMBO decided that if my son wanted to start reloading and I had an "old" press, I really should give it to him.
If I had a 650, without the case feeder, I would trade it in a minute for the new L-N-L.
All I want is for people not to just drink the blue Kool-Aid but to actually compare presses if possible and make sure that the AP they buy is really the best for them. Today, with YouTube and companies putting videos on their sites, a person should check them all out. Word-of-mouth is great, but unless you talk to someone who has actually worked with several presses, their opinions just tell you that they are happy with what they have (not that they would have been unhappy with any of the others).
The Hornady is easier to change calibers (IMHO), cheaper to change calibers, just as well made, backed up (in my experience) just as well, and I preferred the L-N-L primer system over the 650's I used about 10 years ago.
I think Dillon makes great products and their seating and crimping dies for a progressives are probably the best and if I was just going out to buy dies, I would give Dillon a lot of thought (particularly when loading cast bullets).

unclebob
08-23-2010, 17:58
If you have a 1050 why not take the case feeder off it and put it on the 650. Instead of trying too feed one case at a time. Also you could have filled up the case tube with brass.

noylj
08-23-2010, 18:26
Where in what I wrote did you get the idea that I had a 650. I used one about 10 years ago and didn't care for it. That is all I said. Then I said that IF I had a 650 without a case feeder, I would trade it in a minute for a new L-N-L.
Sorry if my writing wasn't clear.
On my 1050s, I have one case feeder that works pretty well (.45 ACP and 10mm Auto), One that Dillon has fixed twice and still isn't reliable (.38 Special), and one for a Super 1050 that I haven't even used yet since I am using that press for working up loads (.38 Super, 9x19, 9x21, .40S&W) and haven't settled on a load yet where I will need the case feeder. As you say, I just put 10 or 20 cases in the tube and load that particular set.
I use a Lee Pro Auto-Disk or my ChargeMaster for working up loads—much faster than trying to get the Dillon (or the Hornady, when I had it) measure set for a particular charge weight.
Yesterday, I loading 50 rounds of .40S&W (6.8gn AA5 under a 155gn L-SWC) that had shown good accuracy that I wanted to use to sight-in several guns. At about the 40th round there was a loud CRACK. Disassembling things, a part fell out of the powder measure when I removed it from the die. It was part of the powder activation tube. Now, I have to get that measure fixed. Thankfully, I have a spare Dillon powder measure. I have no idea why it broke and violently at that.