Hard drive question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive question

handyman
08-21-2010, 09:41
I just built a computer and have 1 40gb solid-state drive and loaded windows 7, would like just the operating system on that drive. Would like to install another regular drive, will it ask you when you load programs which one you would like it go on? Thanks.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 11:43
I just built a computer and have 1 40gb solid-state drive and loaded windows 7, would like just the operating system on that drive. Would like to install another regular drive, will it ask you when you load programs which one you would like it go on? Thanks.Most software have the option to do a custom install that will allow you to chose the installation location.

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 13:00
Installing the programs on the SSD will allow them to load alot faster. Save all of your data to the regular drive. Search Google on how to change ther "USER" directories to the regular drive.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 14:16
Search Google on how to change the "USER" directories to the regular drive.
All you need to do is right click on the folder (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures) and select the location tab to change it.

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 14:20
All you need to do is right click on the folder (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures) and select the location tab to change it.

You gonna go to his house when his computer no longer works?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

One example there. As I said google before you do it so you don't screw your install up.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 15:01

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

One example there. As I said google before you do it so you don't screw your install up.Why would it stop working? I have done it exactly as I posted on more computers than I can count without any issues. It's so easy even a caveman could do it ...

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 15:05
Why would it stop working? I have done it exactly as I posted on more computers than I can count without any issues. It's so easy even a caveman could do it ...

Because your only changing those folders and Windows will continue to use C:\Users\<UserName> to store stuff like Applicatio data, Application Settings, etc.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 15:20

You didn't answer my question, I asked "why would it stop working"? Moving the location of the folders in my post would not cause any problems.

Because your only changing those folders and Windows will continue to use C:\Users\<UserName> to store stuff like Applicatio data, Application Settings, etc.

... and why would anyone worry about any of those files, it's a 40 GB drive with plenty of space for Windows, besides the OP asked about installing programs on the second drive.

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 15:48
I've had customers with programs installed that when doing your way found there applications no longer worked and also applications that installed some kind of service that used those folders causes problems as well when booting up.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 15:53
I've had customers with programs installed that when doing your way found there applications no longer worked and also applications that installed some kind of service that used those folders causes problems as well when booting up. Don't know what to tell you because I've been moving them that way for customers since XP was released and never had any problems, even those on networks.

Pierre!
08-21-2010, 16:32
Me too... just like Sgt. Schultz says...

Put Data and Applications on drive D: to keep the SSD running fast, and not fill it up too fast.

Been making perfect sense to me for quite some time.

not really sure of what you have seen or experienced in the past...

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 16:34
Either way if you go with the way I said you will move the entire Users folder and save even more space.

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 16:39
M$ made it easy and safe to move the "My" folders long ago because system/network administrators want their users to keep their data on a server for backup purposes

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 16:50
So what about all the other folders that don't start with My? For example the AppData folder. Personally mine is 26+ gig's that would eat up half the OP's 40gb SSD just by itself.

Pierre!
08-21-2010, 17:06
So, exactly what is using up the 26 gigs?

Sgt. Schultz
08-21-2010, 17:08
So what about all the other folders that don't start with My? For example the AppData folder. Personally mine is 26+ gig's that would eat up half the OP's 40gb SSD just by itself.

It seems to me that moving all the folders you suggested would defeat the purpose of having a SSD ... whenever a program is launched it would have to access files stored on what is presumably a slower drive.

solomansousana
08-21-2010, 17:31
Most certainly, when you 1st install software it shows you the destination, and gives you the option to install it somewhere else. I have a Dell Inspiron 580 that I've installed two SSD, 40gb for windows 7 ultimate 64bit, and 140gb for ONLY the software I choose.

Solid state drives make start up uber fast.

MrSmoofy
08-21-2010, 17:32
You win! Do whatever you want I don't care.

IndyGunFreak
08-21-2010, 18:45
You win! Do whatever you want I don't care.

Well you cared enough to make 6 posts in this thread... ;)

It's ok man, I'll take the heat off of you...

Linux rules, and Windows Drools!

IGF

handyman
08-22-2010, 07:02
Thank-you for the responses, I have another computer and will try the different ways and see which one works the best for me.

MrSmoofy
08-22-2010, 07:35
http://lifehacker.com/5586733/how-to-take-full-advantage-of-your-solid+state-drive
http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

Pierre!
08-22-2010, 08:27
Well you cared enough to make 6 posts in this thread... ;)

It's ok man, I'll take the heat off of you...

Linux rules, and Windows Drools!

IGF

Yer late... we were expecting you on Post #5... :rofl:

:supergrin: