Need advice on a light/rail mount. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a light/rail mount.

Mr Wasabi
08-21-2010, 13:06
Shotgun is an 870P 18" barrel. I'm going to get a Wilson +2 extension for it as soon as I can find one. I've been looking at this rail mount from LaserLyte:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=594799

I like the small rail type mount so my options to mount lights (or anything else) are open. Has anyone used this mount and have any opinions on it or any similar type setups? I don't need some huge, full blown rail setup as all I'll probably ever have mounted will be a flashlight or Streamlight TLR-1s. Also, I'd like to keep it on the mag extension (and without clamping on my barrel) so my forend is free.

Thanks for any input.

DHart
08-21-2010, 15:18
Mr Wasabi... the CDMGear.com MOD-C clamp is awesome... it will hold a variety of flashlights and you can put a rail or sling mount on the other side of the clamp if you want to pile on more stuff. Use it on the Wilson extension. Here it is on my Winchesters:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/DefenseTeam.jpg

If you decide on a TLR-1, you will probably want to also buy their remote switch, but then you're looking at a lot more money and a wire hanging on your shotgun. I like the TLR-1 on a pistol, but prefer a flashlight (because of the longer, tube form factor and wide range of possible models) on a shotgun.

M1A Shooter
08-21-2010, 15:36
is the surefire forend completely ruled out?

Mr Wasabi
08-21-2010, 16:20
Thanks guys,

Yes, I've been eyeballin' the CDMgear setup also. It looks more pricey but very well made and versatile. Excellent points about about a pistol light type setup. I do have an extra Fenix TK11 that would work great. I even bought the remote stuff for it back when I got it. Maybe that's the route I'll go.

Yes, the Surefire forend doesn't look like what I want. I like the idea of a bare forend and also want the versatility to mount other stuff in an unobtrusive way (away from the forend).

Thanks again for the input.

RatDrall
08-21-2010, 16:43
The Surefire forend is the only way to do it right, on a pump shotgun.

No other light system allows you the choice of on/off and a pressure switch to use when you don't want to give your position away but may need instantaneous light.

DHart
08-21-2010, 17:25
Nothing wrong with the Surefire forend except for the bulk and the high cost and if you don't mind the forend itself. Personally, I don't like them, but to each his own. They can certainly get the job done.

LED flashlights with forward-clicky switches and momentary feature (like 6P/9P and the various 6P clones, Streamlight Polytac, some E-series lights, Quark tactical, etc.) more than meet my needs for momentary on/off or continuous on/off home use. They're very affordable and also can do double duty as... just flashlights! For the average private citizen looking for a simple and economical lighting solution for HD purposes, this approach is quite satisfactory. If you're a cop doing entry work/swat missions, day and night, every day and night, swapping gear with a team of people, handling the equipment rough and tumble as in a war zone, then certainly your needs might be better met otherwise and your budget would certainly be much higher as well.

The CDMGear MOD-C has steel thread liners in the aluminum so you can tighten and loosen as desired without worries about stripping the aluminum threads that are found on some other clamp systems. They also come with the tools you need. Very well made and designed products.

Mr Wasabi
08-21-2010, 17:46
Nothing wrong with the Surefire forend except for the bulk and the high cost and if you don't mind the forend itself. Personally, I don't like them, but to each his own. They can certainly get the job done.

LED flashlights with forward-clicky switches and momentary feature (like 6P/9P and the various 6P clones, Streamlight Polytac, some E-series lights, Quark tactical, etc.) more than meet my needs for momentary on/off or continuous on/off home use. They're very affordable and also can do double duty as... just flashlights! For the average private citizen looking for a simple and economical lighting solution for HD purposes, this approach is quite satisfactory. If you're a cop doing entry work/swat missions, day and night, every day and night, swapping gear with a team of people, handling the equipment rough and tumble as in a war zone, then certainly your needs might be better met otherwise and your budget would certainly be much higher as well.

The CDMGear MOD-C has steel thread liners in the aluminum so you can tighten and loosen as desired without worries about stripping the aluminum threads that are found on some other clamp systems. They also come with the tools you need. Very well made and designed products.

I agree with the points you made on the Surefire. Just not what I'm looking for.

That MOD-C with the three slot rail may be the ticket. It looks versatile, well made, compact and light. I'd prefer nothing around my barrel though and the LaserLyte setup just clamps on the extension.

Edit: My Fenix TK11 is 34mm so it might not work. So I'm looking at a MOD-C @ $70ish shipped and needing a new flashlight versus the LaserLyte @ $30ish. The LaserLyte also has three rails (both sides and bottom) so I can mount my light underneath the mag tube if I want.

DHart
08-21-2010, 18:39
That MOD-C with the three slot rail may be the ticket. It looks versatile, well made, compact and light. I'd prefer nothing around my barrel though and the LaserLyte setup just clamps on the extension.

Edit: My Fenix TK11 is 34mm so it might not work. So I'm looking at a MOD-C @ $70ish shipped and needing a new flashlight versus the LaserLyte @ $30ish. The LaserLyte also has three rails (both sides and bottom) so I can mount my light underneath the mag tube if I want.

I would strongly urge you not to mount anything on the unsupported Wilson extension. The Wilson extension is relatively secure without a bracket (though at somewhat higher risk for damage to your shotgun from bumping, because it is only attached at just a few threads to the mag tube).

But if you are to mount anything on the Wilson extension, you really must support it to the barrel with a bracket. This is why the Laserlyte tri- is not a wise option for your 870P with the Wilson extension.

By using the MOD-C, you will not only be providing a good mount for a flashlight, but also adding important support to the Wilson extension as well. I understand the desire to not have a bracket on your barrel, but if you're going to add a light or anything else, with this particular gun and extension you really have to.

Mr Wasabi
08-21-2010, 18:53
I would strongly urge you not to mount anything on the unsupported Wilson extension. The Wilson extension is relatively secure without a bracket (though at somewhat higher risk for damage to your shotgun from bumping, because it is only attached at just a few threads to the mag tube).

But if you are to mount anything on the Wilson extension, you really must support it to the barrel with a bracket. This is why the Laserlyte tri- is not a wise option for your 870P with the Wilson extension.

By using the MOD-C, you will not only be providing a good mount for a flashlight, but also adding important support to the Wilson extension.

Thanks for the input,

I've read elsewhere that I can use the LaserLyte mount with the Wilson extension without any issues. This is a HD shotgun which yes, I might be banging it around some but it won't be seeing the abuse that LE might give it in the field. I'm under the impression that the Wilson extension can easily handle any moderate type of abuse that I may hand it. Also, I don't see how the MOD-C is a bracket that adds substantial support but just that it will wrap around the bottom half of the barrel.

DHart
08-21-2010, 19:05
Of course you can attach the Laserlyte to the Wilson if you really want to. But realize that with the 870, the connection between the extension and the mag tube is just a few turns of threading... not very much. The Wilson IS certainly doable, especially if you aren't asking it to support anything else which might get bumped or pushed on.

The MOD-C clamps securely to both the extension AND the barrel, making the whole set-up rock solid and well supported.

You can certainly go the route you're considering (Wilson & Trilyte with no support), just realize that you are making some real compromises in the stability of your set-up. You just have to ask yourself if not using a clamp is so important to you that you are willing to compromise the stability of your light and your mag extension.

Extensions can be dicey anyway as the follower can get hung up on the junction between the extension and the mag tube. On a defense gun, my preference is for one-piece mag tubes and no extensions (like the Defenders shown above). It's a rock solid and highly reliable set-up. And can support whatever else I might want it to support. But to each his own.

If this is a fun gun... your decisions don't matter that much. If this is THE gun you will choose to defend your life with under dire circumstances, it would be wise to go with a design which is more stable and more likely to be dead reliable. I guess I have to wonder why not attaching a bracket to the barrel (for the significant increase in stability) is such a big issue to you on a gun you will defend your life with?

Anyway... I've added about all I can to the discussion. You know all the issues to consider and can choose whatever path you wish, of course.

Aceman
08-21-2010, 19:09
UTG tri-rail. Or something like it.

Mr Wasabi
08-21-2010, 19:19
Of course you can attach the Laserlyte to the Wilson if you really want to. But realize that with the 870, the connection between the extension and the mag tube is just a few turns of threading... not very much. The Wilson IS certainly doable, especially if you aren't asking it to support anything else which might get bumped or pushed on.

The MOD-C clamps securely to both the extension AND the barrel, making the whole set-up rock solid and well supported.

You can certainly go the route you're considering (Wilson & Trilyte with no support), just realize that you are making some real compromises in the stability of your set-up. You just have to ask yourself if not using a clamp is so important to you that you are willing to compromise the stability of your light and your mag extension.

Extensions can be dicey anyway as the follower can get hung up on the junction between the extension and the mag tube. On a defense gun, my preference is for one-piece mag tubes and no extensions (like the Defenders shown above). But to each his own.

If this is a fun gun... your decisions don't matter that much. If this is THE gun you will choose to defend your life with under dire circumstances, it would be wise to go with a design which is more stable and more likely to be dead reliable. I guess I have to wonder why not attaching the bracket to the barrel (for the significant increase in stability) is such a big issue to you on a gun you will defend your life with?

Anyway... you know all the issues to consider and can choose whatever path you wish, of course.

Attaching a bracket isn't a big issue to me, I never said that. I just thought that was a nice feature of the Wilson extension and I'd prefer to go that route if I can reliably. Maybe I should consider other extensions also. Are there other negatives to the LaserLyte over the MOD-C that I'm missing here? Anybody out there actually have one? I was considering the MT mount also but I guess it's a poor choice as well as it won't add support to the Wilson extension either.

Edit: This is the Fenix that I have (actually have two):
http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_TK11_Black.html#catalog/img/4-TK1600.jpg

I'd like to stick with it if I can while using the MOD-C mount. DHart has me pretty much sold on that mount. Regardless of which mount I use, will I run into issues with setups for 1" lights or is there a way around this so I can still use the Fenix? It's a great flashlight.

GlockPride
08-21-2010, 20:30
http://www.******tactical.com/msshtrbamo.html

This is what I have on my 1300 Home Defender.

DHart
08-21-2010, 20:45
The MOD-C is for 1" lights, but CDMGear has a delrin spacer which allows the clamp to hold slimmer flashlights. I am using the delrin spacer and a thin rubber liner to hold a Quark 123x2 flashlight which is even slimmer than a Surefire E-series, and is probably even a tad slimmer than the TK-11. I'm sure the delrin spacer will allow the use of the TK-11. Be sure to let CDMGear know that you need the delrin spacer and, possibly, one of their thin rubber liners.

Aceman
08-22-2010, 06:56
I have to say - the whole issue with mag extension is a major PITA with the 870....

Really the only thing I DON'T like about them.

DHart
08-22-2010, 13:03
I have to say - the whole issue with mag extension is a major PITA with the 870....

Really the only thing I DON'T like about them.

I'm totally with you on the extension thing, Aceman. I love the 870P, but have not been able to bring myself to tack on an extension. I'm sure they usually work fairly well, but I have heard too many reports of followers getting tweaked in the junction between the extension and the main tube, or of an unbracketed extension getting hit and damaging the mag tube, causing a stoppage, etc. That's why I haven't put an extension on my new 870P, which I like just fine as a 5-shot, daylight use gun. I really don't want to hang anything off this beauty, but keep it stock. And it works just perfectly in it's totally stock form.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/P1020028.jpg

And for night time defense readiness, my top choice is one of my 1300 Defenders which have an 8-shot capacity, a one-piece, full length mag tube, and just an 18" barrel. No extension worries or hassles whatsoever.

javelinadave
08-25-2010, 23:07
Another vote for CDM from here. I have one on my Supernova.
The shiny spot on the picture is electrical tape that I put on the mag extension as not to mar the finish with the light holder.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/javelinadave/P1000040.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/javelinadave/P1000039.jpg

aippi
08-26-2010, 01:10
The BMT is another option from CDM. I also recommend the VLTAR ring to mount the light. I was lucky enough to get a sample of all their products and once they were in my hands It was easy to decide to become a CDM Gear Dealer. One of my employees had me get him the Vltar ring and that convinced me to carry them also. Quality gear for sure. You can't go wrong.

DaveFJ80
08-31-2010, 09:24
I would've like to have gotten the CDMGear.com MOD-C clamp, but I cheaped out on my old Mav 88 and got the LaserLyte picatinny mount. It worked good for what it was, and for less than $20 it wasn't too hard on the wallet.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Maverick88/FS/875.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Maverick88/FS/880.jpg