Mobile anti virus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mobile anti virus

rfrf
08-21-2010, 18:21
I am aware of the need for anti virus on a PC. Is there such a need for anti virus on a smart phone ?

Thanks in Advance,

RF

Danariel
08-24-2010, 02:38
Not sure of a "need" per se, but I have a Droid Incredible, and I'm running Lookout on it. Mainly for the backup and location abilities (though I've got Tasker for the location now...so do I really need it?)

I have read about the first Android virus:
http://pocketnow.com/android/first-android-virus

I'm keeping Lookout.

ZTucker
08-24-2010, 22:13
I've often worried about the iPhone 4 being able to catch viruses now that it can multithread. I know it's apps run in their own sandbox, but it still makes me worry. Anyone heard anything about the security on the iPhone 4?

rfrf
08-25-2010, 11:16
Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.
rf

cgwahl
08-25-2010, 19:48
This is just my opinion, so take of it what you will...there are viruses out there for phones, but there are not enough or they are not a big enough of a threat to worry about it.

If you can find a free antivirus for your particular phone OS, maybe it is worth putting it on your phone. Although even free I wouldn't even bother. But paying for one I believe to be a big waste of money.

Having said that, things could change in a few years as smart phones get more popular not to mention the market of who is more popular changes and a clear winner emerges to make it worth writing a virus other than to see if you can. Just to give an example, I think I recall Android only being about 20 or 30% of the market. iPhone is probably around that number, not to mention the other phones (Blackberry, Palm, Windows Mobile, etc.).

Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt...if you're super paranoid about it, then go for it, it's your money. But I wouldn't bother.

solomansousana
08-30-2010, 17:20
I would assume anything that is capable of surfing the web, is also capable of becoming infected.