Ithaca M37 Defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca M37 Defense

pitt1011
08-21-2010, 18:31
I'm considering one of these for home defense (if I can find one). Does anyone have any experience with one of the newer Sandusky, OH produced models? I like the classic lines and nostalgic look this scatter gun has but that doesn't mean much if it doesn't run right. I'm looking for any problems anyone who has one might have had.

FA5Si
08-22-2010, 16:15
I don't have one, but I read good things about the new OH Ithacas - at first. Lately, I'm seeing posts that are less effusive with their praise. These new ones don't have the disconnector removed, so they are just like any other pump available on the market and I'm going to keep looking for an original DSPS.

FA5Si
08-22-2010, 16:18
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ithaca_37_defense_gun.htm

aippi
08-22-2010, 18:40
If they stuck to the original design it is one of the best out there. My only issue with it is to many small parts, hard to work on. If you know your way around firearms and are able to keep it running you can't go wrong with a model 37.

pitt1011
08-22-2010, 20:34
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ithaca_37_defense_gun.htm

I did find the above review. Have the negative comments you've seen gone beyond the having the disconnector removed and have people had other issues?

pitt1011
08-22-2010, 20:39
If they stuck to the original design it is one of the best out there. My only issue with it is to many small parts, hard to work on. If you know your way around firearms and are able to keep it running you can't go wrong with a model 37.

One of my big dilemmas is that I can take and 870 down no problem and maintenance would be easy. I would have take some time to learn on the Ithaca.

FA5Si
08-22-2010, 21:32
I did find the above review. Have the negative comments you've seen gone beyond the having the disconnector removed and have people had other issues?

It's been a while and I don't keep a compendium of them in my head, but I recall that the gist was that when something went wrong, the factory wasn't too helpful and were slow in getting it fixed. I believe they are pretty much a "mom & pop" gun company, so who knows how long they'll last. If they have made changes to the action, they haven't been around long enough to have a real stock of spares to keep you going after they fold.

pitt1011
08-23-2010, 11:00
FA5Si-

Thanks for the further info

Sophicles
08-23-2010, 11:54
I share your fondness of 12 gauge combat/police shotguns. I started out looking at the new HD Ithaca shotgun, but ended up looking for and buying an original DSPS made in 1975. Three main reasons were the unsupported mag tube, cost, and fixed barrel of the new shotguns being produced. Incidentally, I found the old '75 produced shotgun much cheaper (and I believe a better value and quality) than what a new one would have cost me. Hope this helps.

Oh BTW I love this thing! Its light, compact enough, and its a J.M. Browning design.

sambeaux2249
08-23-2010, 23:14
I'm considering one of these for home defense (if I can find one). Does anyone have any experience with one of the newer Sandusky, OH produced models? I like the classic lines and nostalgic look this scatter gun has but that doesn't mean much if it doesn't run right. I'm looking for any problems anyone who has one might have had.

I had one for a little less than a year. It was a beautiful shotgun. Let's see if I can enumerate some of the reasons I got rid of it.

1. Fixed, non-removable barrel
2. What looks like a mag tube clamp is only a spacer
3. The only shotgun I own that deforms shotgun shells if left in the mag,
despite having the weakest mag spring of any shotgun I own.
4. Had a tendency to throw live shells on the ground rather than loading them into the chamber
5. The furniture and metalwork was fantastic... the recoil pad looked like an afterthought.
6. Awkward to use and SHARP action release
7. Very complicated takedown procedure ( due to fixed barrel )
8. Did I mention unreliable?
9. I tried a couple of times to contact customer support, but never got an answer.

I took a loss on the one I had, but came out with $100 in my pocket when I used the money from its sale to buy a Mossberg 500.

Sam

pitt1011
08-24-2010, 09:29
8. Did I mention unreliable?

Sam

That could be a problem. Might look for an 870P. I want to adhere to the KISS principle with this shotgun. Another option is try and track down one of the BPS High Capacity that Browning made for a year or two not that long back. Its got a similar design to the M37.

sambeaux2249
08-24-2010, 22:24
That could be a problem. Might look for an 870P. I want to adhere to the KISS principle with this shotgun. Another option is try and track down one of the BPS High Capacity that Browning made for a year or two not that long back. Its got a similar design to the M37.

The designs aren't quite the same, I don't think... There's also the Savage 350... I find that bottom eject presents some interesting problems... After my experience, I think I'll stick with side eject shotguns. I'm very happy with my 870's, mossbergs, and benelli novas...

Sam

Sophicles
08-25-2010, 07:54

Yes the original DSPS M37 is not the same as the new HD Ithaca shotguns.

pitt1011
08-25-2010, 08:03
The designs aren't quite the same, I don't think... There's also the Savage 350... I find that bottom eject presents some interesting problems... After my experience, I think I'll stick with side eject shotguns. I'm very happy with my 870's, mossbergs, and benelli novas...

Sam

I know bottom eject is not for everyone. I hunt grouse and pheasants with a Browning BPS and I love it. The familiarity with it might lead me to get the Browning BPS Hi-Cap. The 870P and a Mossberg 590A1 are also possibilities.

aippi
08-25-2010, 10:51
From reading this I learned a lot about these new 37's. Dang shame as it was one fine weapon and served LEO's for many years. If one of the orignial models can be found and the parts are out there then it still is, providing you can work on it.

sambeaux2249
08-25-2010, 22:41
I know bottom eject is not for everyone. I hunt grouse and pheasants with a Browning BPS and I love it. The familiarity with it might lead me to get the Browning BPS Hi-Cap. The 870P and a Mossberg 590A1 are also possibilities.

If you get the BPS Hi Cap, would you mind posting pics and a mini-review? I've been curious about this gun for a while, but I think my Ithaca experience has cured my curiosity for other designs for a while. I'd like to know more about the Browning, and maybe live vicariously through your experience. :)

Maybe I'm a little dense, but I just never quite figured out a comfortable and safe way to unload my Ithaca or swap shells in the chamber.... Not to mention the difficulties in cleaning it.

Sam

Scouse
08-26-2010, 22:55
I share your fondness of 12 gauge combat/police shotguns. I started out looking at the new HD Ithaca shotgun, but ended up looking for and buying an original DSPS made in 1975. Three main reasons were the unsupported mag tube, cost, and fixed barrel of the new shotguns being produced. Incidentally, I found the old '75 produced shotgun much cheaper (and I believe a better value and quality) than what a new one would have cost me. Hope this helps.

Oh BTW I love this thing! Its light, compact enough, and its a J.M. Browning design.

+1

The original is ten times better, the old model is slick as glass, the new design hangs a little when pumping. If you want to sell the 75 unit. I am willing to take the older model off your hands!

Sophicles
08-27-2010, 11:43
+1

The original is ten times better, the old model is slick as glass, the new design hangs a little when pumping. If you want to sell the 75 unit. I am willing to take the older model off your hands!
LOL....Gonna hang onto this one....its a keeper.

pitt1011
08-27-2010, 12:31
If you get the BPS Hi Cap, would you mind posting pics and a mini-review? I've been curious about this gun for a while, but I think my Ithaca experience has cured my curiosity for other designs for a while. I'd like to know more about the Browning, and maybe live vicariously through your experience. :)

Sam

If I pick one up, I'll post a review. I'm not sure if Browning is still making the shotgun as its not listed on their website. The shops around here do have them in stock and one place has them for $299. At that price, it might be hard to pass up. I'm also tempted by the 590a1 that another shop has for $349.

I like the BPS design. I hunt grouse and pheasants with one. I like the top tang safety, bottom eject, and the action is incredibly SMOOTH. I've shot 870s and Mossies and none I've shot come near to how slick and fast the action is. Maybe its in my head, but its nice not to have shells flying through the air as I try to swing through a shot on a bird or clay pigeon. The only down side would be not being able to directly load a shell into the receiver. This is not a deal breaker for me.

Scouse
08-27-2010, 17:30
In the 90s, not a clue what year, my memory does not work that way.

Off I went to visit NYPD Firearms Range, from Toronto, Canada, where I was a Firearms Instructor. Lt McGee (complete with two hearing aids!) was the Range master, He had been visited by many Canadian Police Firearms Instructors in the past, I taught Police, but was not one.

He asked me if I wanted to shoot along with the recruits class, I said I would love too. No other Canadian had done so, he said. OK said I, I got into a spot of trouble, showed a young ex Marine how to be quicker on repeat shots (the Weaver Stance, Say What) the tactical units were shooting against each other, one short? Lou McGee asked if I would fill in the missing spot? Sure said I.

The name escapes me, Emergency Service Unit?

When the low member team found out I had never shot an Ithaca 37, collective groan, "let me shoot three slugs for practice" said I... after dropping in a clover leaf at 15 yds, I was accepted. We won, not sure if it was Official, old bearded Scousers might have been illegal. A bit more happened, but not for public view, pity, it was a great story. That old 18" pump was awesome.