Pistol grip or stock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol grip or stock?

bboblo1957
08-21-2010, 22:42
Pros & cons. It will be for HD. My dad gave me an old 870 wingmaster & I am think of setting it up.

Thanks for the input folks!

mixflip
08-22-2010, 01:51
I vote no on pistol grip only stock. (at least for basic home defense work anyway) Some knowledgeable folks will be along soon to explain why.

Mr Wasabi
08-22-2010, 05:03
I'm not one of the more knowledgeable folks here on shotguns but I would say no to the pistol grip also and go with a good 'standard' stock that fits you well. Avoid the tacticool bug overall and keep it clean and simple.

hogarth
08-22-2010, 05:25
It all depends on two things:

1. Do you want to hit your target(s)?
2. Do you want to knock out your own teeth or break your nose?

If #1 is "no" and #2 is yes, then run out and get yourself a pistol grip only stock.

RatDrall
08-22-2010, 07:30
It all depends on two things:

1. Do you want to hit your target(s)?
2. Do you want to knock out your own teeth or break your nose?

If #1 is "no" and #2 is yes, then run out and get yourself a pistol grip only stock.

:rofl:

The first time I used a PG only shotgun I busted my nose on the third round, as the recoil slowly pushed the gun farther and farther back....

No PGs for anything serious. 12 gauge recoil demands a proper stock for function.

gnepig
08-22-2010, 11:34
Pros & cons.

Pros: easy to hide/carry and earier to manuever throughout the house/ tight spaces with.

Cons: not easy on the wrist, no safe way to aim it (without tasting the backside of your hand/ grip and yes you have to aim a shotgun at close quarter distances). Shooting from the hip looks cool on TV but not so easy to do effectively during a dynamic critical incident.

Personaly, I just removed a pistol grip from one of my shotguns because it sucked to shoot that way.

Aceman
08-22-2010, 11:44
I'm skipping Pro/Con for this reason: There are 30+ threads on the subject and I'd guess 99% of them are against pistol grip. But it's all in the way you frame the question.

NO to pistol grip only
Stock + Pistol grip = 50/50 split.

But everyone agrees on the stock pretty much. I like the P-grip plus stock.

And I say this having shot them all, and being big enough, strong enough, and skilled enough to shoot the P-grip only. I don't do it, even though I can. There is a message there.

JBnTX
08-22-2010, 12:50
There's nothing more useless than a pistol grip on a shotgun.

If you want to hit your target, then you have to aim.
Try it, it works.

aippi
08-22-2010, 13:21
There is an application for these weapons with PG only. I have built them using the Knoxx Breecher grip and find they work very well. As with any weapon practice will make you proficient and you will find the Knoxx Breecher grip eats the recoil and muzzle flip and helps you get back on target faster.

The length of the weapon makes it ideal for HD but the PG only pretty much restricts it to that use, however, I built several for pilots in AK and these weapons fly all over the state in the cockpit with them and are for survival and protection should they go down. Using that grip helped keep the weapon short without having to do the SBS or AOW mess. Two even went with the SpecOps folder which is like the Breecher grip but has a wire stock that folds over the receiver if not needed. Not very fun to shoot but does what it needs to do.

Knowing the weapon, becoming proficient with it and knowing how it applies to your needs is the key in deciding this issue. I am about to build myself a 14.5" with the Knoxx Breecher grip, wilson one shot tube and Surfire 318LM. It will take over as my #1 HD. It will be a few months as I have to jump through all the ATF hoops but will put it on my web site for show and tell.

bboblo1957
08-23-2010, 08:01
Thanks for all the opinions folks:fred:, I love this place!

PeaceKeeper
08-23-2010, 08:15
Why not both, I have a Butler Creek side folding stock on mine. It is short to make it easy to stow and I have a should stock to shoot it with with a push of a button.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/PeaceKeeper2/firearms/DSC00372.jpg

Bill Lumberg
08-23-2010, 08:27
You definitely want a stock. I prefer one with a pistol grip integrated.

Pros & cons. It will be for HD. My dad gave me an old 870 wingmaster & I am think of setting it up.

Thanks for the input folks!

unit1069
08-23-2010, 21:27
delete double post

unit1069
08-23-2010, 21:28
I owned a cheap pistol grip Maverick 88 for sixteen years and rarely shot it because it's too punishing on the hand and not easy to control. Yes, a pistol grip-only shotgun is maneuverable but it doesn't take many rounds with one to understand how wild your aim can be without the gun being anchored to the shoulder. In a home defense scenario that shoulder anchor is also an indispensable aid in quick reload while holding aim.

Last month I put a Knoxx reduced recoil stock on and it's a completely different gun --- easy to control and comfortable to shoot. I much prefer the pistol grip adjustable stock over traditional stock. Ugly, but I'm very happy with the setup. Looks just like in this photo.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15777666&postcount=36

Total dollar amount I have in the gun - $285.