Using a .40S&W sizing die for 357SIG [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using a .40S&W sizing die for 357SIG

jeffreybehr
08-22-2010, 13:01
I've found the short-necked 357 to be a little fussier to reload, but thanx to a GTist whose name I don't remember, I now use a .40S&W die in addition to the 357 trio in my 4-hole Lee Turret Press. I've removed its decapping pin and I first full-length resize (WITHOUT using any case lube), then go thru the 3 other dies normally, and then reresize the completed round in the .40 sizing die. This requires 5 strokes, but feeding is now dramatically improved.

I also turned the 357 sizing die down the maximum amount to resize as much of the neck as possible; that increased considerably the bullet tension, altho I was NOT experiencing any bullet setback previously.

BTW I also outside-chamfer case necks for this and my 10mm; that too helps feeding reliablity with these aftermarket barrels.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2032/124HPsloaded_1280w.jpg

Bello
08-22-2010, 15:11
sexy lil *****es i tell ya .357 is my avatar bullet

shotgunred
08-22-2010, 17:02
It was me the all knowing reloader that I am.:whistling:

Well it would have been if my name was fred an I lived in the Communist state of Cali.

jeffreybehr
08-22-2010, 17:32

Well it would have been if my name was fred an I lived in the Communist state of Cali.

So was it or wasn't it you?

fredj338
08-22-2010, 18:23

That's Mr Fred from KOMMIEFORNIA! Geeze, you guys should know the spelling of this crap hole by now.:rofl:

It sounds like you got things dialed in but why are you running the rounds back through the 40 sizer after bullet seating? I can see no benefit. Once they are fully sized & the shoulder in it's proper place, it's just proper bullet & taper crimp. Be careful w/ the outside chamfering, if over done can reduce the affect of your crimp. Those brass bullets look like MGs? I an switching over to them once my Berry's are gone. The Berry's work, but accuracy gts spotty above 1300fps.

jeffreybehr
08-22-2010, 23:03
That's Mr Fred from KOMMIEFORNIA! (4)

It sounds like you got things dialed in but (1) why are you running the rounds back through the 40 sizer after bullet seating? I can see no benefit. Once they are fully sized & the shoulder in it's proper place, it's just proper bullet & taper crimp. (2) Be careful w/ the outside chamfering, if over done can reduce the affect of your crimp. Those brass bullets look like MGs? (3) I an switching over to them once my Berry's are gone. The Berry's work, but accuracy gts spotty above 1300fps.

1. Occasionally the bullet-seating process would enlarge the shoulder slightly and cause the round to not chamber. The last sizing eliminates that problem entirely.
2. Yup; it's very light.
3. Yes, Montana Golds. They're as accurate and shoot to the same point of impact as my XTP124 PD load. And your reason is why I, too, stopped using plated bullets. The MGs are lightly jacketed, so I wouldn't use them for PD, but do they make 1-gallon (and smaller) waterjugs explode!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supergrin:
4. Yup; I call it fascistfornia. It's a good place NOT to live.

fredj338
08-23-2010, 09:17
1. Occasionally the bullet-seating process would enlarge the shoulder slightly and sause the round to not chamber. The last sizing eliminates that problem entirely.
2. Yup; it's very light.
3. Yes, Montana Golds. They're as accurate and shoot to the same point of impact as my XTP124 PD load. And your reason is why I, too, stopped using plated bullets. The MGs are lightly jacketed, so I wouldn't use them for PD, but do they make 1-gallon (and smaller) waterjugs explode!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supergrin:
4. Yup; I call it fascistfornia. It's a good place NOT to live.

Yep, we pay a hell of a price for good weather & it's going up every year.:steamed:
Are you flaring the case mouth a little? This shoudl eliminate any buckling of the shoulder & remove one step. Some will say no case flare, but it works fine, at least w/ the Dillon dies.