Hello, ladies!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hello, ladies!!!

Winds-of-change
08-23-2010, 15:12
I'm very new here and a first time gun owner. I am open for any advice, suggestions, tips and hints from all you more experienced female gun owners. I just bought a Ruger GP100, stainless steel with a 6" barrel. I haven't taken it shooting yet, just practicing with it using snap caps. I'm getting used to the feel and familiarizing myself with the gun. I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum and learning through everyone's experience. Also, let me add I am not very young. I'm in my mid 50"s, if that makes any difference.

Please let your words of wisdom, years of experience and sage advice fill me with knowledge. Thank you.

Mrs. Tink
08-23-2010, 22:16
:welcome:

Hang around here and you'll get your fill of knowledge... and more. :supergrin: Good for you for familiarizing yourself--you'll find yourself a better shooter for it. Best of luck! Any questions you have, ask them and we'll help you out.

And age?? It doesn't matter a whit here!

Winds-of-change
08-23-2010, 23:09
Thank you for the reply. I'm eager to learn and I take constructive criticism very well.

Lone_Wolfe
08-24-2010, 03:21
:wavey: and :welcome:

There's lots of good info to be found here, just pull up a chair, crack a beer and join us.

Gratzman
08-24-2010, 07:35
Mid 50's and a Ruger fan? Nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup: I'm new here too and the same age. Hope the "kids"let us play, we'll try to keep up. OBTW, I'm not female, but don't hold that against me. :winkie:

Winds-of-change
08-24-2010, 10:14
Mid 50's and a Ruger fan? Nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup: I'm new here too and the same age. Hope the "kids"let us play, we'll try to keep up. OBTW, I'm not female, but don't hold that against me. :winkie:

My kids are grown and two of the three are on their own. Are you kidding.....will the 'kids' let us play? Mine want to go to the range WITH me.

OBTW, I'm not female, but don't hold that against me.
I won't. You can't help that. LOL

Silent_Runner
08-26-2010, 09:25
Hello Winds-of-change. I like your username.

WWJGD
08-26-2010, 14:19
Howdy from Texas! :wavey:

Misty02
08-26-2010, 19:37
Welcome, Winds-of-change! :wavey:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
My first gun was purchased in September of 2008, almost 2 years now (how time flies!) and I consider myself a new gun owner. I just know enough to know there is way too much for me to learn still. <o:p></o:p>
Age has never been an issue here, at least that Iíve noticed. Nonetheless, Iím a year and a month away from my 50ís so we are in the same general age group. <o:p></o:p>
I have a feeling youíll like this forum a lot. Iíve found people to be very helpful and willing to share their knowledge freely to assist where possible. I hope your experiences are as good as mine have been so far. :)

Davegrave
08-26-2010, 19:42
<----Not a woman either, but...

Welcome. :wavey:

Good choice on your first gun.

What made you decide to buy a gun? Did you always want one and couldn't quite "pull the trigger" on getting one? Maybe a scare recently and you decided better safe than sorry?

Just curious?

Dave

Lone_Wolfe
08-27-2010, 06:17
Misty's right about age not being an issue here. I'm crowding 50 myself.

sawgrass
08-27-2010, 07:37
Misty's right about age not being an issue here. I'm crowding 50 myself.

Yes, and I'm not far behind Lone_Wolfe.
So welcome to GT and the women's sub-forum.

You will likely see, this hobby is worse than potato chips.

Winds-of-change
08-27-2010, 09:58
<----Not a woman either, but...

Welcome. :wavey:

Good choice on your first gun.

What made you decide to buy a gun? Did you always want one and couldn't quite "pull the trigger" on getting one? Maybe a scare recently and you decided better safe than sorry?

Just curious?

Dave

I decided to buy a gun because a friend took me to a range and I got hooked. What can I say? It was just so much fun. I have thought before of owning a gun but only in passing. The Ruger GP100 was recommended to me as a good, reliable gun and I was told a revolver was a 'safer' gun for a beginner to learn about. No forgetting there is a round chambered in the slide like can happen on a semi-automatic for us newbies. If the wheel is empty, the whole darn gun is empty. I have never felt threatened where I live and I've never had a 'scare'. I just love the thrill and challenge of target shooting. But, as I'm sure is to be expected, I'm looking forward to buying a second gun of the semi-auto type. One must be well rounded and an equal opportunity gun owner, right? I could see myself ending up with a revolver, a semi-auto and a rifle of some sort. But I'm taking it slow and enjoying my revolver for now.

Lone_Wolfe
08-27-2010, 15:36
Yes, and I'm not far behind Lone_Wolfe.
So welcome to GT and the women's sub-forum.

You will likely see, this hobby is worse than potato chips.

sawgrass, as for the input you asked for before you edited, if I was still into guns a snub S&W 27 would be at the top of my 'want' list.

If you were curious about the choice of a Ruger, that gun is a tank that'll last forever even with hot loads, it's not real expensive, and it's heavy enough to have no recoil with 38's and not much with .357's. Great 1st gun.

I don't remember what else you asked.

sawgrass
08-28-2010, 07:57
Wolfe, I edited because I had the barrel lengths screwed up.
The 27 is a 6". He has a 686 2 1/2". I wouldn't mind having a
27 4"...and so it goes.:cool:

Lone_Wolfe
08-28-2010, 08:35
Wolfe, I edited because I had the barrel lengths screwed up.
The 27 is a 6". He has a 686 2 1/2". I wouldn't mind having a
27 4"...and so it goes.:cool:

Ahhhh. Hey, a 6" 27 is still damn nice. I never had one. I also never had a 2 1/2" 686, so you got me (and Silent_Runner) beat there, too. For that matter I naver had a 4" 27 either.

I also have never owned a Ruger GP100. I'm starting to get a complex here..... :rofl:

RottnJP
08-28-2010, 21:34
That's a perfect first handgun... That, or one with a 4.5" barrel. The Ruger should serve you well. I second what LW said above. It's reliable, inexpensive, and I've always recommended new shooters start off with something that lets them start light and move up as desired later- A good .357 never goes out of style, even as you add to your collection! ;-) The one thing you may find is that if the trigger is rough, your shooting may improve with a little trip to your local gunsmith. Some Rugers are nice out of the box, but some need a trigger job to really live up to their potential. That's not a big deal though.

My first carry pistol was an old S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel. You might be surprised how well a good quality short barrel pistol can shoot, but with full house .357 loads it's not for the faint of heart- All that unburned powder makes a pretty impressive muzzle flash, especially for the people next to you on the line. Your hefty GP will tame it nicely when you are ready to move up to .357 from .38, and it's great that one pistol gives you all that flexibility.