Buttstock Shotshell Carrier Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock Shotshell Carrier Question

matteblack
08-23-2010, 15:21
I have a Remington 870 with a Speedfeed youth stock (13" LOP) and I am looking to add a shotshell carrier. I'm familiar with the Eagle Ind. product and Tactical Tailor but I dont think they are set up for the shorter stock. Has someone tried them? Are there better options?

David Armstrong
08-24-2010, 09:51
IMO and IME, the better option is not to put the extra ammo on the gun in the first place, particularly the buttstock. On your waist or in your pockets are better for most folks.

Lampshade
08-24-2010, 09:59
What's the reasoning dave?

I actually just ordered a side saddle for my Mossberg... I want to be able to pick it up and get out of dodge with as much capability as possible.

CharlestonG26
08-24-2010, 10:07
I don't like hanging extra ammo on my SG. IMO, a better solution is the Speedfeed I stock that holds a total of four extra rounds in the two magazine tubes. I use this stock on a Mossberg 590 Mariner and have been quite pleased with its performance.

VZ1600
08-25-2010, 09:22
I have a Remington 870 with a Speedfeed youth stock (13" LOP) and I am looking to add a shotshell carrier. I'm familiar with the Eagle Ind. product and Tactical Tailor but I dont think they are set up for the shorter stock. Has someone tried them? Are there better options?

Are you looking for a receiver mounted or a buttstock mounted carrier? I would suggest a receiver mounted carrier. Reasoning: say you get the buttstock mount, you are right handed and you mount it on right side and a situation comes up where you have to shoot left handed around cover. Now you have a side saddle full of ammo grinding up on your face. Not too comfortable. (Ask me how I know) :whistling:

matteblack
08-25-2010, 10:34
Thats a great point. I do know that side saddles are preferred, I was concerned about the balance of the rifle it seems that managing the weight towards the shoulder would be better.

Kind of switching my question, is there a good side saddle that does not permanently alter the rifle? Something that uses the pins?

David Armstrong
08-25-2010, 12:13
What's the reasoning dave?

I actually just ordered a side saddle for my Mossberg... I want to be able to pick it up and get out of dodge with as much capability as possible.
It adds weight and changes the balance of the gun to start with, and the thing is already heavy enough. It is one more thing to protrude and get in the way. It also limits the ability to get a stockweld from both sides. The sidesaddle doesn't present that particular problem, of course, that the buttstock carrier does.

If you want to GOOD with as much capability, I suggest a small shoulder bag or some such. Plenty of ammo, room for a handgun, light, etc.

deputy tom
08-27-2010, 18:00
[QUOTE=

I suggest a small shoulder bag or some such. Plenty of ammo, room for a handgun, light, etc.[/QUOTE]

^^This.tom.:cool:

GlockPride
08-27-2010, 18:10
The buttstock holders also tend to loosen up and slide around.