What exactly are reloads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What exactly are reloads?

malleable
08-23-2010, 20:11
A friend of mine went to a local range after rolling his own with new brass and was denied the use of it as they have a "no reloads" policy. I understand there safety concerns, semantics, etc. but I'm curious do you consider a reload non factory ammo or twice + used brass, or ?

unclebob
08-23-2010, 20:13
A friend of mine went to a local range after rolling his own with new brass and was denied the use of it as they have a "no reloads" policy. I understand there safety concerns, semantics, etc. but I'm curious do you consider a reload non factory ammo or twice + used brass, or ?

Anything that is not factory produced.

KiloBravo
08-23-2010, 20:21
So basically, they want people to buy their overpriced range ammo? I would find another place to shoot if I were him.

BWT
08-23-2010, 20:24
I could see that if you were renting one of their firearms, but a large portion of people that frequent the range are reloaders.

Hoser
08-23-2010, 20:40
My reloading room is an ammunition factory. I just dont have as many employees on the payroll.

PCJim
08-23-2010, 20:48
Hoser, I like your attitude!

One of the local Bass Pro Shops here has a no reloads policy which I am sure is due to liability risks. Several independent gun ranges also have the same policy, which is probably less of the liability risk and more of the "buy my ammo" philosophy. Yet another range will allow reloads but at a 50% increased range time fee, again under the "buy my ammo" mentality. Needless-to-say, I do not use those facilities.

I am a regular at the local county gun range. They do not have such a policy, and all the staff members know I reload.

TH3180
08-23-2010, 20:53
I know a few guys that just keep the factory ammo boxes and re-use them. To the range it looks like they are using factory ammo.

shotgunred
08-23-2010, 20:58
Around here the only restriction I have seen is our ammo for our rental gun.

Oh yea one range has a CMJ only policy.

PBKing
08-23-2010, 20:59
I know a few guys that just keep the factory ammo boxes and re-use them. To the range it looks like they are using factory ammo.
Right On

W4CNG
08-23-2010, 21:07
I have been reloading ammo since before most ranges in my area have been in business. No squibs, No FTF, and all went down range. I do not discuss the ammo I am about to shoot at my range as they also have seen me shoot there many times with my annual membership and weekly IDPA matches. That said, I do not have issues with my reloaded ammo from my Twin Dillon SDB's.

njl
08-23-2010, 21:12

It helps if you do your loading all in brass of the same headstamp. Bonus points if the headstamp matches the box you put the ammo in.

OTOH, I've been repackaging ammo (both factory and now my own loads) in IMI boxes (i.e. boxes from 2 cases of IMI ammo I bought long ago) because their 9mm boxes are so much more compact than typical factory boxes, it makes the ammo pack more efficiently.

ColdShot
08-24-2010, 05:20

ALWAYS........

Ranges that have bullet rules like No Lead,No Steel or No Reloads
can kiss my butt....Reloading and testing at the range goes hand
in hand with the gun hobby/sport

njl
08-24-2010, 05:54
ALWAYS........

Ranges that have bullet rules like No Lead,No Steel or No Reloads
can kiss my butt....Reloading and testing at the range goes hand
in hand with the gun hobby/sport

Trouble is, at that sort of range, you probably can't setup your chronograph.

IndyGunFreak
08-24-2010, 06:28

Exactly. I've been to 1 indoor range w/ a policy like this, and this is exactly how I got around it.

Now, with some other options for shooting, I will not patronize that range anymore. That's a ridiculous policy.

IGF

Orlando Eric
08-24-2010, 07:43
My favorite... "For insurance reasons." BULL! It is so they can sell their range ammo for 200% WWB prices. I'd like to see MAgtech and some of these range ammo factories ISO 9000 certificates

Glockdude1
08-24-2010, 07:47

:thumbsup:

ustate
08-24-2010, 08:00
What the range doesn't know won't hurt them. Unless you tell them you're using reloads they won't know. Makes me glad I can just run up to the mountains nearby and don't have to worry about ranges.

unclebob
08-24-2010, 08:27

Also keep two boxes of factory ammo in your shooting bag. If they should ask you too show them your ammo that is what you pull out. Also donít use ammo that they do not want you too use. That can tear up there range.

fredj338
08-24-2010, 08:52
So basically, they want people to buy their overpriced range ammo? I would find another place to shoot if I were him.
This is the correct answer. It has little to do with safety. SOme ranges will also ban Wolf ammo, it's factroy, but the steel case is a PITA for them to deal w/ as it has little to no recycle value. Get some factory boxes & put your reloads in them & go shoot. BTW, do NOT buy reloaded ammo form the gunshow guys. More bad than good there I'm afraid. Stick w/ large commercial firms that have insurance, like GeorgiaArms, BlackHills, etc.

ron59
08-24-2010, 09:42
Have a big enough gun bag that you can "hide" the boxes containing your reloads.... buy two boxes of factory stuff that you have sitting on top that you can whip out if they ask to see what you're shooting.

njl
08-24-2010, 09:52
Have a big enough gun bag that you can "hide" the boxes containing your reloads.... buy two boxes of factory stuff that you have sitting on top that you can whip out if they ask to see what you're shooting.

I've done that too. The trouble is, the sorts of ranges that have these kinds of rules are also the sorts of ranges that have someone walking back and forth behind the firing line sweeping brass downrange while your shooting, or either tell you "you don't need to pick up your brass" or "please don't pick up the brass". For those places, if I have to shoot there, it's likely to be Blazer aluminum :tongueout:

TH3180
08-24-2010, 10:41
The indoor range I shoot at doesn't have a problem with reloads but does not allow steel. They says no steel because there back stop can't handle steel. They let you pick up your own brass but not other peoples. They ask if you are going to pick up your own brass, that you sweep the brass that's there before you start shooting. So I guees they are right in the middle on the issue.

mboylan
09-06-2010, 14:18
The indoor range I shoot at doesn't have a problem with reloads but does not allow steel. They says no steel because there back stop can't handle steel. They let you pick up your own brass but not other peoples. They ask if you are going to pick up your own brass, that you sweep the brass that's there before you start shooting. So I guees they are right in the middle on the issue.

Many indoor ranges have a no steel jacketed bullet rule because it jacks up their cleaning equipment. Most steel cased ammo has bimetal jackets, so this is understandable.

shotgunred
09-06-2010, 14:35
The local indoor range is run by the park department. So it is unusual to have people working there who have never touched a gun. they have a CMJ rule and have been taught to read the ammo boxes. they get real confused when you tell them you reload and don't have a box. I have handed them a cmj bullet and they didn't have a clue what they were looking at. I had to explain to them how to check. So its is just easier to have a factory box with you.

gjk5
09-06-2010, 14:43
I haven't shot at an indoor range in years but I always put my reloads in factory boxes, why would I pay good money for a plastic ammo box when idjits leave perfectly good boxes and inserts laying around the BLM range along with their free brass? I have four or five copy paper boxes full of just pistol ammo boxes.

dudel
09-06-2010, 16:38

Bingo. Their range, their rules. Don't like the rules, find a different range.

We had a local range close up last month. I spoke to one of the employee two weeks ago. They were losing money on the range. People brought their own eyes and ears, their own targets, and many brought their own ammo Yep, I was one of them). Range was well run from a safety point of view; but not from a business point of view. Whoda thunk a gun shop would go under in this environment? Had I know he was in trouble, I would have suggested that he do some training lessons, some ladies nights, some competition nights. Heck, I would have even offered to do a reloading class for free so he could sell more supplied (we all know reloaders shoot twice as much (more lane time), so even if they weren't buying his ammo, people might be buying his supplies). In any event, he's closed. While I can and do shoot in the back yard, there's something to be said about an airconditioned shooting environment in the summer and winter months.

You can complain about how they are trying to sell ammo (at higher prices than reloads; but usually lower than full commercial rounds), or charging more for range time if you bring reloads; but they are also trying to stay in business. How thrilled will you (not you DP) be if they closed?

Even though his 22LR was not great bargain, I made a point of buying a brick each time I was there. Sometime primers or powder as well. I would have gladly paid an extra $5/hour of range time for the convenience. They would let you come in early and use a chrono if you were the only one there. They had a special lane with incandesent lights for those with chronos.

Y'all need to take a longer term view.

PBKing
09-06-2010, 19:43
Anything that is not factory produced.

That is what our range policy says also.