Run apps off a USB drive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Run apps off a USB drive?

wonkotheinsane
08-23-2010, 20:13
Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?

kc8ykd
08-23-2010, 21:50
you could try Portable OpenOffice
http://portableapps.com/apps
(it's about 1/2 way down the page in the office section)

portable applications are designed (or adapted) to be run without having to be first installed. applications that require installation aren't (generally) meant to be run portability.

I could never run all my daily stuff off a usb drive. games and the audio software i use are either way too big for a usb drive, or require specific hardware drivers (and hardware) to run.

others tho, like firefox and putty i could, but i don't since disk is so cheap, and i have a real preference to real office over open office, just a personal thing (i use outlook for my pim).

wonkotheinsane
08-24-2010, 20:53
Just stumbled upon Prayaya (http://www.prayaya.com). I installed prayaya on my USB drive and then installed MS Office 2003 suite on prayaya. It seems working very well on other computers.

grokdesigns
08-25-2010, 17:54
I've used VMWare ThinApp (http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/) to do things like this before, but it's aimed at the enterprise sector and can be quite complex.

MrSmoofy
08-25-2010, 19:33
Usually the app has to be written to support running completly off a USB drive.

wonkotheinsane
08-25-2010, 20:33
I've used VMWare ThinApp (http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/) to do things like this before, but it's aimed at the enterprise sector and can be quite complex.

yeah, it is aimed at enterprises or groups. Why I found its price too unacceptable? anything I missed?

Toyman
09-10-2010, 06:11
I haven't used this program, but I just heard about it today.

Cameyo: competent, free program virtualization app can create portable executables from any application (http://www.freewaregenius.com/2010/09/09/cameyo-competent-free-program-virtualization-app-can-create-portable-executables-from-any-application/)

You might want to check that out.

solomansousana
09-10-2010, 13:03
I have a ton of the U3 enables flashdrives. They had a store go out of business locally and I ended up being able to buy a ton of Sandisk 4gig U3 flash drives which I've installed Mozilla internet and mail, Opera www, open office and tons of other stuff. I also have a bunch of Lexar Secure drives that have 256bit encryption vaults and secure delete software, and then of course theirs that flashdrive that uses 512bit encryption with the U3 software outside the secure drive.

Obi Wan
09-11-2010, 14:42
I have a ton of the U3 enables flashdrives. They had a store go out of business locally and I ended up being able to buy a ton of Sandisk 4gig U3 flash drives which I've installed Mozilla internet and mail, Opera www, open office and tons of other stuff. I also have a bunch of Lexar Secure drives that have 256bit encryption vaults and secure delete software, and then of course theirs that flashdrive that uses 512bit encryption with the U3 software outside the secure drive.
What's the value of the U3 software? I've got it on a couple of my flash drives but don't use it since I'm not sure what it can do for me and haven't played with it.

Tips?

solomansousana
09-11-2010, 17:59
It gives you the ability to carry copies of your documents around with you, and with open office installed, you can edit then print, or create a PDF. With U3 you can go into internet cafe's and surf using your encrypted browser and not worry about leaving history traces as everything is done on your browser, on your drive. I use a browser that connects to anonymizer, which is an anonymous browsing portal, you connect direct from your browser on the U3 and the cafe has no idea what you surf as everything is done through your encrypted U3 browser and the anonymous server. Plus, you can get a free copy of McAfee U3 which protects all your use of the drive. Virtually any software is U3 available these days.

Cameraguy
09-25-2010, 21:43
It gives you the ability to carry copies of your documents around with you, and with open office installed, you can edit then print, or create a PDF. With U3 you can go into internet cafe's and surf using your encrypted browser and not worry about leaving history traces as everything is done on your browser, on your drive...Virtually any software is U3 available these days.

Comments & Question

My first Thumb Drive was a U3 and at first glance I liked it. However, when I went to my local library to do some research, it would not work with the library network. I used an ordinary Thumb Drive with applications from the PortableApps website mentioned earlier and things worked fine.

I'm having a MINOR problem using the drive with Windows 7. The startup menu for the applications installed doesn't want to automatically open as it does with XP or Vista. I just have to punch a couple of extra buttons.

Another problem I have is in formatting the drives as NTFS format. They work fine in all of my home computers (Win7 and XP), but they are not recognized at all in the library computers (Vista Business). Can anyone explain this?

Thanks for the help anyone can offer.