Word 2003 password help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Word 2003 password help

wlst101
08-24-2010, 12:09
I know you can password protect documents but can you password protect Word entirely? It sure would be a pain to have to protect every doc. Any ideas?

GIockGuy24
08-24-2010, 12:13
I think you need to password protect each document file. Otherwise somebody could just email it to themselves and read it later on another computer of use portable OpenOffice on that computer. They really wouldn't be protected at all just by restricting the program that's installed.

JimmyN
08-24-2010, 18:18
If you want to protect a lot of files the best solution would be an encrypted folder, thumb drive, etc.

TrueCrypt is a free open source program that would work well for what you want to do, it's quite popular.

TrueCrypt creates a virtual encrypted disk inside of what appears to be one large file, or even an entire partition. When you run TrueCrypt it mounts the virtual disk so you can access it as a drive, using your regular programs. All the files are encrypted/decrypted on the fly as you open and save. Any files you save into that drive are automatically encrypted, plus you only need one passphrase to open the entire encrypted volume so things are really simplified. You can create folders for docs, spreadsheets, etc, on your virtual drive that only you can access.

When you're done and close TrueCrypt it will remove the virtual drive and the files are no longer accessible.

Pierre!
08-24-2010, 20:09
+1 = TrueCrypt

Awesome software!

wlst101
08-25-2010, 00:22
Thanks JimmyN I'll check it out.