Recommend me a digital scale [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a digital scale

bjesse60
08-24-2010, 14:47
I am new to reloading and still need to pick up a digital scale, can you guys recommend me one. I am not trying to spend alot, so as long as it does the job I don't need all the bells & whistles. Thank's :cool:

Boxerglocker
08-24-2010, 14:51
If your gonna go cheap, don't bother with a digital. Stick with a reputable, Dillon or RCBS beam scale.

Otherwise... I use and recommend the Dillon D-Terminator. It's a great scale.

IndyGunFreak
08-24-2010, 14:57
I am new to reloading and still need to pick up a digital scale, can you guys recommend me one. I am not trying to spend alot, so as long as it does the job I don't need all the bells & whistles. Thank's :cool:

Agree w/ Boxer... What is your budget? If it's less than 90-100.. I'd stick w/ a quality beam.

IGF

PCJim
08-24-2010, 15:13
And I'll confirm what Boxer and IGF stated. A "cheap" digital will give you nothing but trouble and frustration, besides being unreliable. A quality beam scale will be much more affordable, lasts you a lifetime and won't die on you due to battery failure.

unclebob
08-24-2010, 15:33
And I'll confirm what Boxer and IGF stated. A "cheap" digital will give you nothing but trouble and frustration, besides being unreliable. A quality beam scale will be much more affordable, lasts you a lifetime and won't die on you due to battery failure.

What battery?

njl
08-24-2010, 15:39
I've been using a Lyman digital that was around $100...and I don't trust it. I'm going to end up buying a beam scale...probably the Dillon.

PCJim
08-24-2010, 16:03
What battery?

The battery that would power a digital....:whistling:

at_liberty
08-24-2010, 16:11

Hornady has a couple quite inexpensive models. If I was going to have problems, I would feel good about dealing with Hornady. I have seen them in MidwayUSA. For a bit more to get a power supply, I bought the PACT BBKII from Midway and have done well so far, but my cheaper Frankford Arsenal that so many said was such a terrible choice gives the same answers. When in doubt, I use a Lee balance beam that is quite accurate according to the check weights and cross verifications with other scales. I developed skill with it very quickly but am old enough to know how to deal with such primitive things, including slide rules and typewriters, manual drafting, and all that sort of dinosaur stuff. I even have a pistol with no plastic on it that I know of.:cool:

MinervaDoe
08-24-2010, 16:19
I sent a $35.00 Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale back to Midway last week.

It had a LOT of serious design flaws.

The switch sequence to change into the correct mode to weigh powder had to be done for every charge I weighed (zero the scale, put it in the mode to weigh, and select the unit of measure --- every time).
The buttons presses to switch modes did not work reliably and I ended up pressing the button over a dozen times on occassion.
The little crucible they supplied for weighing things had a rough finish and the powder stuck to it.
Thank goodness for Midways return policy.

bjesse60
08-24-2010, 16:33
Thank's guys I was going to try not to spend much more than $100 but seems I may be better of with a beam scale, is one brand of these better than the other and why? Thank's

IndyGunFreak
08-24-2010, 16:44
Thank's guys I was going to try not to spend much more than $100 but seems I may be better of with a beam scale, is one brand of these better than the other and why? Thank's

Dillon's Eliminator and RCBS 505, are probably the two best beam scales(IMO)... with Dillon probably being the best bang for the buck scale there is. Both also have a lifetime warranty should anything ever happen to them.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

Colorado4Wheel
08-24-2010, 17:08
Most people have good luck with these. BUT, I would get a Dillon Beam and the digital just to play it safe.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-js-50x.aspx
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-jsvg40.aspx

FLSlim
08-24-2010, 19:49
FWIW, I've had good luck with the Dillon D-Terminator (outlet or batteries). I'm quite confident in it, but still like to be able run occasional checks with my beam scale.

unclebob
08-24-2010, 20:16
Most people have good luck with these. BUT, I would get a Dillon Beam and the digital just to play it safe.

That is what they make check weights for. If the beam scale and digital reads different how do you know which one is right with out the check weights?

Colorado4Wheel
08-24-2010, 20:23
That is what they make check weights for. If the beam scale and digital reads different how do you know which one is right with out the check weights?

Well, I have a Franklin Arsenal digital and the Dillon Beam. The Dillon Beam is easy to use and accurate with check weights. The FA scale never reads the same thing twice in two minutes so it's kinda pointless to try.

unclebob
08-24-2010, 21:09
Well, I have a Franklin Arsenal digital and the Dillon Beam. The Dillon Beam is easy to use and accurate with check weights. The FA scale never reads the same thing twice in two minutes so it's kinda pointless to try.

The RCBS Powder Pro scale that I have been using for about 15 years now. Have been dead on with the check weights. I had an Ohaus Dial A Grain scale that was all over the place.
I have a friend that thought his beam scale was right and his Dillon digital was wrong. It was the other way around.

fredj338
08-24-2010, 22:30
FWIW, I've had good luck with the Dillon D-Terminator (outlet or batteries). I'm quite confident in it, but still like to be able run occasional checks with my beam scale.
The new ones are first class. Dillon replaced my 1st gen one for $80 & it's been flawless for 3yrs now. The RCBS is getting good reviews. I just don't think you can get a decent dig scale for less than $100-$140, but maybe Lee will come up w/ one.:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-25-2010, 07:08
The new ones are first class. Dillon replaced my 1st gen one for $80 & it's been flawless for 3yrs now. The RCBS is getting good reviews. I just don't think you can get a decent dig scale for less than $100-$140, but maybe Lee will come up w/ one.:whistling:

I bet the Dillon is no better in quality then some of those scales over at Old Will Knott. Dillon has their scales made overseas. It slaps it's name on another persons product and gives it a 1 year warranty.

MinervaDoe
08-25-2010, 07:51
I have the RCBS 5 0 5 scale. I looked it up. It's an $75.00 dollar scale at Midway now.
Maybe there isn't much point in replacing it with a digital scale after all.

Before I sent the Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale back to Midway, I compared the RCBS 5 0 5 scale measurements to it and they looked fine. Not bad for a twenty five year old scale.

fredj338
08-25-2010, 13:24
I bet the Dillon is no better in quality then some of those scales over at Old Will Knott. Dillon has their scales made overseas. It slaps it's name on another persons product and gives it a 1 year warranty.
I don't doubt that, but the D-Term doesn't appear under any other name I am aware of. It does work, flawlessly too, & though it has only a 1yr warranty, the will replace it for 1/2 after that. The first one I had for about 10yrs & it started losing zero. So $75-$80 for a new one that works, beats $35 for a FA that does not.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
08-25-2010, 15:56
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/myweigh/ibalance-101-201.jpg

30 year warranty from the US distributor. Counts, has a higher weight amount, has a wind screen, about the same size. It's just a little cheaper.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-201.aspx

Boxerglocker
08-25-2010, 22:05

I don't doubt that, but the D-Term doesn't appear under any other name I am aware of. It does work, flawlessly too, & though it has only a 1yr warranty, the will replace it for 1/2 after that. The first one I had for about 10yrs & it started losing zero. So $75-$80 for a new one that works, beats $35 for a FA that does not.:supergrin:

I'll attest to the Dillon, when I first bought mine took it into our tool calibration lab at the lazy B. I got a techie friend to put it through it's paces at his lunch time and it came out on top with many other high end scales we use at work.
I didn't know of the 1/2 price replacement deal, that is good to know too.

fredj338
08-26-2010, 13:10
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/myweigh/ibalance-101-201.jpg

30 year warranty from the US distributor. Counts, has a higher weight amount, has a wind screen, about the same size. It's just a little cheaper.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-201.aspx
If I were looking for a new scale, I would probably consider that one. With a 1/2 price replacemnt, I'll probably always have the Blue.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2010, 13:18
It's hard to not buy Blue sometimes. I worry about my electric scale being moved around even a little bit on my bench. I guess the Dillon is designed for that were as the others may not be.

FlyfishermanMike
08-27-2010, 16:48
Dillon Eliminator beam scale - $49.99. I love mine. It's easy, fast, repeatable and never lies! Reload a bunch while you save up for a good digital.

fredj338
08-27-2010, 18:21
It's hard to not buy Blue sometimes. I worry about my electric scale being moved around even a little bit on my bench. I guess the Dillon is designed for that were as the others may not be.

I never move mine. It sets on a shelf right in front, between my ss & 550B. I don't like the idea of moving any scale & then having to deal w/ rezero & vibrations (any scale setting on the bench is a bad idea).

Rico567
08-27-2010, 19:38
I still have my old Ohaus 10-10 beam scale for a backup, but I normally use an RCBS (PACT) digital I bought number of years ago for $125. It uses a 12V supply, and interfaces with the auto trickler (also RCBS/PACT), and both units work great.